Is taking art and product design for AS too much workload?

Watch
Chaitra26
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to study product design at uni, and am in the process of choosing my a levels now.
My 3 definite subjects are maths, physics and product design, but I need a 4th.
I was wondering if taking art alongside these 3 subjects works be too stressful,as both product design and art have large courseworks that might be too time consuming.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Chaitra26
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Bump
Brownie.99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just finished my coursework for art and product design at A2. It has been stressful at times but as long as you keep up to date with your work you will have no problems. I am the only one doing both these subjects, yet I am more on top of my work than the others in my class. I am doing 4 a levels out of choice- art, product design, maths and biology- and I am doing architecture next year (hopefully!!). I know I have not done as much work for the theory side of DT as I need to and I've barely started my biology revision but now my art is all finished I have over 3 weeks to concentrate on these and get them to the level I need. I presume you have done both for gcse? If you have, you will have some idea of how much work you will have to do. If you haven't, you probably won't be allowed anyway. Doing art will help show your skills in your portfolio for uni alongside your product design coursework and it shows that you are a creative person. If you want to do both, do it. Your passion for both subjects will show to both your teachers and examiners and you will want to put the time in to them but be prepared for some late nights close to your final deadlines.
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chaitra26)
I want to study product design at uni, and am in the process of choosing my a levels now.
My 3 definite subjects are maths, physics and product design, but I need a 4th.
I was wondering if taking art alongside these 3 subjects works be too stressful,as both product design and art have large courseworks that might be too time consuming.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Hey Chaitra26,

If you can, then go for it!
I did 4 art base subjects during A-levels and it was quite stressful at first but through time I got use to it. If you end up choosing not to take another art subject and you feel like you don't have enough work to boost your portfolio, I would recommend sketching in your free time, do some live drawings or if you can going to an art class/club.

Ravensbourne's has a Design Product course, you might want to take a look at for future. I'll leave the link here. (Click Here)
Feel free to ask me anything about the course!

I hope this helps and goodluck with your decision!
Kay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise