Sazal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am struggling to understand what a double ester is and a single ester in terms of hydrolysis within the body. I.E making prodrugs with double esters allow for easier cleavage than single esters.

Thanks
EmoTrash
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sazal)
I am struggling to understand what a double ester is and a single ester in terms of hydrolysis within the body. I.E making prodrugs with double esters allow for easier cleavage than single esters.

Thanks
As I understand it, prodrugs are a way of transporting and releasing drugs in the body (chemical delivery system).
With the esters in prodrugs, the ester is the 'casing', carrying the drug (covalently attached), a targetor function (complementary to target cell) and a modifying function (prevents premature hydrolysis).

Hydrolysis of the ester 'casing' releases the drug, allowing it to take effect.
A double ester, having two ester bonds, hydrolyses faster than a single ester.
This makes it easier to release the drug quickly once the targetor function has identified the target cell.

Hope this helps!
Sazal
Rep:
?
Thanks it helps but can I see a picture to see this double ester bond my mind is refusing to view it lol!
EmoTrash
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sazal)
Thanks it helps but can I see a picture to see this double ester bond my mind is refusing to view it lol!

The top structure is of the combined drug-ester complex.
The image shows the bond being broken, including the mechanism to release the drug. The OC(O)O bond (if you can call it that) is the double ester bond. Two oxygen atoms single bonded and one oxygen double bonded to the same carbon atom.
Sazal
Rep:
?
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.39%
England (126)
33.51%
Belgium (30)
7.98%
Germany (40)
10.64%
Spain (8)
2.13%