Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I know that higher maths is an incredibly hard course.
    I think i want to do something in languages, or international relations when i am older, however i have a passion for cryptography, and puzzles.
    Im meant to get top marks for my further maths gcse this summer.
    Is it worth doing higher maths even if i don't want to do anything like that at uni?
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizabethperroni)
    Hey,
    I know that higher maths is an incredibly hard course.
    I think i want to do something in languages, or international relations when i am older, however i have a passion for cryptography, and puzzles.
    Im meant to get top marks for my further maths gcse this summer.
    Is it worth doing higher maths even if i don't want to do anything like that at uni?
    Thanks
    This is probably down to your personal choice. I'd say take the subjects you need for uni first and then if you have gaps left, fill these with subjects that you will enjoy and get high grades in.

ReputationRep:
    I am taking maths higher right now and I have to say it is a tough course - even with a lot of studying I'm on a six (seven if I'm lucky). Whilst my workload is quite high (I do take 4HLs, with 2 sciences...) I think it is definitely doable. Put your heart into it and you'll do more than fine. Maths HL isn't as scary as people make it out to be, it's a course just like any other. Many people say chemistry HL is unbelievably hard, yet I find it to be one of my easiest courses due to my natural interest and desire to get better at it.

Motivation is what will keep you going throughout IB. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Elizabeth!I'm currently in IB2 and just finishing my exams. I take HL Maths, but next year I'm going to do an English Literature degree. I got an A* Distinction in Further Maths GCSE too. My Oxford offer requires me to get a 6 in Maths because it is one of my Highers, and that goal has taken a lot of work. I would say I have definitely done more than an hour a day on average this year of maths practice outside of lessons, quite possibly more than an hour a day over the whole course. During the revision period, I spent over half my time doing maths. There have been prolonged period of extreme stress; I really did not think for a long time I would manage to get a 6. Having done the exams, I am quite confident now, and wouldn't be overly surprised with a 7, but it certainly took more work than doing a Higher Level in Economics or French or Geography or something would have. When I was in your position, people advised me that HL Maths was extremely hard and I did not listen to them. I don't really regret taking it because I know as the person I am that I would not have been satisfied if I wasn't pushing myself to the limit, and so not taking it wasn't ever really an option for me. However, I sort of wish that wasn't the case, because with the extra time and brain space I could have done something awesome, like writing a novel! So basically you will probably be happier, healthier and be more secure in getting into a good uni without having to work yourself into the ground (or even after working yourself into the ground) if you don't take it. But if you're the sort of person who is just going to take it anyway (like me!), go for it, commit to it, work really hard (like about 40 mins to an hour a day from the start I would suggest), and you WILL be fine because it's not impossible, but you will have a considerably harder journey than other IB students. I would say doing HL Maths doubled my workload, and that the need to focus on it for revision will probably reduce my overall point score. I will feel immensely proud of myself at the end if it all works out because of the work I put in, put it's probably not worth it. TL;DR: hypocritical advice coming from me as someone in a similar position (and I am fine), but maybe take Maths SL, go for the easy 7 and do a maths exploration on puzzles.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.