Oblasti
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ever since they unified in 1871 they've been a complete pain in the bum, I suggest we break Germany back up into around 38 independent states and give the Rhineland back to France so Germany don't get any ideas again.
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We should have broken them up after WW1. God wills it.
Oblasti
Rep:
?
(Original post by l'etranger)
We should have broken them up after WW1. God wills it.
I know right! Germany is much too powerful in central Europe, divide it up and give some of its territory to its neighbours, allow a bunch of small German states to do whatever they want.
l'etranger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Oblasti)
I know right! Germany is much too powerful in central Europe, divide it up and give some of its territory to its neighbours, allow a bunch of small German states to do whatever they want.
Brandenburg and Bavaria should be the only two states which are allowed a German identity.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Germany was broken up both after WWI and after WWII.

Germany before WWI was much bigger than Germany after it. For one, Poland didn't exist. The breaking up of Germany was a reason Hitler's early invasion was tolerated.

After WWII, Germany was broken up into five pieces that were eventually unified.
Oblasti
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
Germany was broken up both after WWI and after WWII.

Germany before WWI was much bigger than Germany after it. For one, Poland didn't exist. The breaking up of Germany was a reason Hitler's early invasion was tolerated.

After WWII, Germany was broken up into five pieces that were eventually unified.
Poland didn't exist as a unified state but still had several independent duchies, though most were formally under Russian control. You're right it was much bigger though. The real question is why is it still so big? A unified Germany is bad for the continent, the country is simply too powerful and can bully smaller states into doing what it wants.
CorpusLuteum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought you were actually in a relationship with someone called Germany...

my bad.
Katzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Let's also break up the USA, hey let's not forget Canada!

Oh look, Russia! Yes you too I know come on now not everyone there is Russ-

INDIA!? My my India look at all this "united" diversity time to split you u-

Oh no don't think you're off the hook Pakistan the same religion doesn't cut it you're just as guility as Ind-

CHINA!? OI I see you trying to take over the new former-Indian countries not so fast Tibet and that Muslim part of you with the weird name wants to have a word.

Ah. Peace at last.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Oblasti)
Poland didn't exist as a unified state but still had several independent duchies, though most were formally under Russian control. You're right it was much bigger though. The real question is why is it still so big? A unified Germany is bad for the continent, the country is simply too powerful and can bully smaller states into doing what it wants.
You said to give parts of its territories to surrounding states. That was what happened to Poland. I didn't claim all of Poland was German before WWI.

Germany isn't big at all. Other than Russia, all European countries are tiny. Germany isn't even the largest country in Europe - Russia is (without counting its Asian territories). Germany, within Europe, is smaller than Ukraine, France (not counting its overseas territories), Spain (not counting its overseas territories, Sweden, and Norway. Kazakhstan and Turkey are also bigger if you count all their territories.

Germany is No 7 or No 9 in Europe in terms of area and you think it's big?

And do you think land is the reason why Germany (and the UK) is powerful? No. It's the population and more importantly, money. And not even taking away parts of the population away is going to do anything.

UK's impact is not just with its national population, but with all people who speak English, even as an additional language. You can divide Germany up into 10, but they will still be forming a bloc á la Latin America if only because they share a common tongue.

And what's wrong with Germany anyway? They are now the defender of the free world, despite being led by a conservative Dr Merkel.

(Original post by Katzen)
Let's also break up the USA, hey let's not forget Canada!

Oh look, Russia! Yes you too I know come on now not everyone there is Russ-

INDIA!? My my India look at all this "united" diversity time to split you u-

Oh no don't think you're off the hook Pakistan the same religion doesn't cut it you're just as guility as Ind-

CHINA!? OI I see you trying to take over the new former-Indian countries not so fast Tibet and that Muslim part of you with the weird name wants to have a word.

Ah. Peace at last.
Honestly though, the US, Canada, Russia, and China are not going to keep their current territories forever. Most countries will probably become smaller in the future and then there will be more EU-type alliances. From that point on, the world will either become a country with many nations, or bigger nations with a stronger military will try to take over other smaller ones again.
Boomerang Chang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Germany will be in civil war if they keep allowing these refugees and terrorists into their countries.
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haters gonna hate.
mirko123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, let us save formerm GDR before Merkel colonise it with muslims.
l'etranger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Taran001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Or maybe we should focus more on our own country rather than wishing hatred to others
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.3%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.72%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.36%

Watched Threads