IMPORTANT question for all people studying aqa gcse English lit

Watch
Emisosk
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'll make this brief.

We all know memorising poetry sucks. The best approach will be to group the poems into about 3 or 4 groups, have a strong understanding of each poem in the group and then memorise quotes for 2 poems in a group, so that you are covered whatever comes up.

I am personally studying power and conflict cluster, but if you are studying the other (relationships??) feel free to add that too. But please add your grouping of the poems into 3-4 big groups, and if you like identify two that would be easier to memorise !

We have to work together to do this!
Txhmid
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
im memorising quotes for all of them and ill choose the comparison poem on the day (but obv know the themes of each). no flaws in my plan
Balkaran
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emisosk)
I'll make this brief.

We all know memorising poetry sucks. The best approach will be to group the poems into about 3 or 4 groups, have a strong understanding of each poem in the group and then memorise quotes for 2 poems in a group, so that you are covered whatever comes up.

I am personally studying power and conflict cluster, but if you are studying the other (relationships??) feel free to add that too. But please add your grouping of the poems into 3-4 big groups, and if you like identify two that would be easier to memorise !

We have to work together to do this!
For power and conflict
The main ones I'm remembering are
1)Ozymandias because its a small poem with lots to talk about it has everything Structure, language and context. You can talk about how power crumbles, 3 different speakers, the rhymes, the biblical allusions and much more
2)My last Duchess same reasons as Ozymandias it has a lot to talk about. You can talk about the enjambments, the lack of power the duke has, the rhymes and more
3)London because of the 4 line each stanza, the juxtapositions, the context of London being controlled by the rich and more.
4)Charge of the light brigade: The repetition of "Rode the 600", form, biblical allusions and more
Lastly
5)Kamikaze: there isn't as much to talk about for this one but I found it easy to remember so that's my main 5
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads