The Student Room Group

Medicine without Biology A Level?

Hey,
I was wandering whether anyone had any advice on whether I could get into medicine with what I have.
Basically, I had some home issues(from a low income background, so tutoring was out of the question) which caused me to mess up my gcses: (2A*s, 2As, 6Bs and 1C). However have been working super hard at AS to pursue my dreams to do medicine.
Basically at this point I am predicted these grades at AS:
Art - A
Maths - A
Chemistry - A/B
However Biology, I am aiming for a D/C.
This means I will probably have to drop Biology, however I am scared that this will effect my chances of getting into medicine. I am not really sure of options. And I don't know whether I should retake the year so I can continue doing Biology (I know this is looked down on) or take a gap year, so I can fix my biology grade and reapply. Or if I can apply without biology?
I would appreciate any help or advice, as I don't want to give up my dream as it's all I have to keep me going :smile:
Thanks
Best advice is to look at the entry requirements for the uni's that you're looking to apply and see what subjects are required.

I have a few friends who applied to courses that require maths but aren't doing Maths i.e engineering and computer science so they've applied to foundation courses (which I assume you don't want to be in this position). It can put you at a disadvantage without Biology as opposed to other applicants with chemistry and biology in their application. Medicine as you said is your dream so why shouldn't you work hard for it?

Your other grades are very good so why is your Biology behind? I've heard Chemistry is a hard A Level yet you're predicted an A/B so why can't you do the same for another science?

If you drop Biology, I personally think you're going to regret it.

A Levels are hard! No one said it was going to be easy xD
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending