The Student Room Group

Why you should NOT VOTE conservatives

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am voting conservative primarily on the basis that I voted to leave the EU last year, and I voted no in the 2014 ref.

Expecting a few gains for the tories in Scotland. They got half a million votes in hollyrood last year, and over 475,000 in the council elections. They came 2nd in both of them.

If they repeat this or do slightly better ~25% of the vote, then they could win more seats than many expect.

I will be watching very closely on the 8th, it is most interesting with Scotland because we will vote on the basis of leave/remain, yes/no AND party polices. It's quite complex, but definitely more of a case between unionism and nationalism like in northern Ireland.

So, if they are doing well up here, expect massive landslide to come... Stop saying labour will win.
Except there's no such thing as a bad deal. The worst case is WTO rules whereby we become richer as a country from tariffs yet the total tariffs UK businesses pay are LESS than our net EU contributions (so you can't argue both that we pay little into the EU yet free trade is essential)
Plus we can make trade deals with the world, starting with the USA and the Commonwealth.
Savings will go to the NHS if that's what citizens vote for at elections.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy

What lies?

Lies? How about
Cameron: If I loose the referendum I won't resign.
Johnson: We send £350 million a week to the EU.
May: I will not call a snap election.
Greening: There is no crisis in education. We ate spending more than ever.
Cameron: You [The Scottish] must vote No if you want to stay in Europe.
The Tories: Ok, so the people voted against an elected Mayor in 2011 so we will give them one anyway.
May: I am strong and stable

Need I go on?
Original post by ByEeek
Lies? How about
Cameron: If I loose the referendum I won't resign.
Johnson: We send £350 million a week to the EU.
May: I will not call a snap election.
Greening: There is no crisis in education. We ate spending more than ever.
Cameron: You [The Scottish] must vote No if you want to stay in Europe.
The Tories: Ok, so the people voted against an elected Mayor in 2011 so we will give them one anyway.
May: I am strong and stable

Need I go on?

I'm no Tory, and will be voting Labour, but the Scottish one is hardly a lie is it?
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm no Tory, and will be voting Labour, but the Scottish one is hardly a lie is it?

To be fair, it is probably the biggest lie of all. Cameron called on Miliband and Clegg to put together a statement of intent that for Scotland to stay in Europe they should vote to stay with the UK. They all went to Scotland cap in hand to deliver the message united in their message.

Fast forward a few months and Cameron bows to pressure from his own party to hold a referendum.

Same with Manchester. We unanimously voted against having a mayor in 2011. We have just elected a mayor.
Original post by ByEeek
To be fair, it is probably the biggest lie of all. Cameron called on Miliband and Clegg to put together a statement of intent that for Scotland to stay in Europe they should vote to stay with the UK. They all went to Scotland cap in hand to deliver the message united in their message.

Fast forward a few months and Cameron bows to pressure from his own party to hold a referendum.

Same with Manchester. We unanimously voted against having a mayor in 2011. We have just elected a mayor.

It's not a lie though is it? You posted that he said to vote no if they want to stay in Europe. That implies if they left they'd have to rejoin and go through a lengthy process (in other words wouldn't just be let back in and would have to apply as a new member). They voted no and stayed in Europe at least until the next election when the referendum was announced.

I'm not trying to pick a fight I just don't see how you can say he lied. It's not as if he said if you vote no I guarantee you will not leave the EU, ever.
People should check out the record of the NHS under the Conservatives, absolutely brutal, mental health services? collapsing under them, yet it remains one of the biggest problems in the UK.

Strong and stable my ass, more like a "we care for the 1%er and that's it" aka Murdoch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending