username3151084
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do you evaluate your 12 markers? How do you address the 'how far...'? I always do it, and have gotten 12/12 recently on the 12 markers (always worry that the teacher is too lenient) but what do you all say to evaluate the statement?
tanisha04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I always say, :
In conclusion X sociologists will agree with this argument to a large/small extent because of reason A and B (summarise what you said in your supporting paragraphs) then compare it to the opposing side of the argument so: whereas X sociologists disagree to a large/small extent because their beliefs and values (Reason C and D) are strongly against the argument. Link back to the question and make sure you refer to how far sociologists agree or disagree. (large/small extent)
Are you sitting the sociology exam tomorrow?
username3151084
Rep:
?
(Original post by tanisha04)
I always say, :
In conclusion X sociologists will agree with this argument to a large/small extent because of reason A and B (summarise what you said in your supporting paragraphs) then compare it to the opposing side of the argument so: whereas X sociologists disagree to a large/small extent because their beliefs and values (Reason C and D) are strongly against the argument. Link back to the question and make sure you refer to how far sociologists agree or disagree. (large/small extent)
Are you sitting the sociology exam tomorrow?
Thanks, that's similar to what I usually say Yeah, I am sitting it tomorrow. Are you?
tanisha04
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by student308308)
Thanks, that's similar to what I usually say Yeah, I am sitting it tomorrow. Are you?
Yeah what grade are you aiming for?
username3151084
Rep:
?
Yeah what grade are you aiming for?
Hopefully A*, but that's at best! I always screw up the question about new legislation (e.g explain how legislation in the last 20 years has improved educational opportunities for disadvantaged students?) What laws do you know for those kind of questions?

What you aiming for?
tanisha04
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm aiming for an A* too but i'm worried i might lose out by a few marks.

Yeah i hate those questions where you can't really argue from a specific type of sociologists point of view but for the supporting agrgument i would talk about:

- The Butler Education act which offers every student a state education regardless of their social class.
- The introduction of Pupil premium and EMA which has helped to encourage students to stay in further education aswell as helping pupils from materially deprived background who have fewer life chances than the upper class.
- Vocational education has also helped students to learn "more hands on" subjects if they are academically less able.

- For the opposing argument i would talk about Marxists and how they believe that schools exist to reproduce class inequality between the bourgeoisie and the proletariat.
- Some Sociologists would disagree as educational opportunities for the disadvantaged are not effective as cultural capital still exists in the U.K. which benefits the middle class as the norms and values of the middle class are the ones taught in school so disadvantaged students are immediately at a disadvantage for educational opportunities.

This is a very hard question though, hopefully the other 12 mark option for education is better suited to us!!
tanisha04
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How would you answer this question in the studying society section. They usually link to context when they ask you something like "Describe one way in which sociological research has helped government and schools to reduce the number of students being bullied"
It's a 4 mark question but i just don't understand what they mean by sociological research. Is it the same as research methods?
username3151084
Rep:
?

Yeah i hate those questions where you can't really argue from a specific type of sociologists point of view but for the supporting agrgument i would talk about:

- The Butler Education act which offers every student a state education regardless of their social class.
- The introduction of Pupil premium and EMA which has helped to encourage students to stay in further education aswell as helping pupils from materially deprived background who have fewer life chances than the upper class.
- Vocational education has also helped students to learn "more hands on" subjects if they are academically less able.

- For the opposing argument i would talk about Marxists and how they believe that schools exist to reproduce class inequality between the bourgeoisie and the proletariat.
- Some Sociologists would disagree as educational opportunities for the disadvantaged are not effective as cultural capital still exists in the U.K. which benefits the middle class as the norms and values of the middle class are the ones taught in school so disadvantaged students are immediately at a disadvantage for educational opportunities.

This is a very hard question though, hopefully the other 12 mark option for education is better suited to us!!
Hopefully!! For some reason I have a gut feeling that one of the four markers will be on triangulation - I've got some weird hunches about the questions this year!
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How do you evaluate your 12 markers? How do you address the 'how far...'? I always do it, and have gotten 12/12 recently on the 12 markers (always worry that the teacher is too lenient) but what do you all say to evaluate the statement?
AQA?
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thank you for this. The only reason I remembered was EMA's being introduced.
username3151084
Rep:
?
(Original post by S2M)
AQA?
Yeah
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah
Thank God I'm not the only one doing it on here. Hopefully we all should be fine because most of the paper should be logic except the 12 markers which you need to know the content. I'm aiming for an A*, I'm guessing you are too? How are you finding it so far?
tanisha04
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hopefully!! For some reason I have a gut feeling that one of the four markers will be on triangulation - I've got some weird hunches about the questions this year!
Good job i revised that yesterday😂😂
Using more than one research method to check the accuracy of data right?
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How would you answer this question in the studying society section. They usually link to context when they ask you something like "Describe one way in which sociological research has helped government and schools to reduce the number of students being bullied"
It's a 4 mark question but i just don't understand what they mean by sociological research. Is it the same as research methods?
I'm not sure about that one, do you have any idea? I'd probably say how primary/secondary and sampling methods are being used to reduce the number of students.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Triangulation?
username3151084
Rep:
?
(Original post by S2M)
Thank God I'm not the only one doing it on here. Hopefully we all should be fine because most of the paper should be logic except the 12 markers which you need to know the content. I'm aiming for an A*, I'm guessing you are too? How are you finding it so far?
I'm aiming for A*, but since I've done it out of school as an extra it could go VERY wrong! But hopefully not....
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm aiming for A*, but since I've done it out of school as an extra it could go VERY wrong! But hopefully not....
You should be fine.
username3151084
Rep:
?
(Original post by S2M)
I'm not sure about that one, do you have any idea? I'd probably say how primary/secondary and sampling methods are being used to reduce the number of students.
I would say that they've used questionnaires to gather information about how often bullying occurs in schools, then governments and local authorities have seen them and taken action by using posters/giving talks about bullying. This has made students realise the potential impacts of bullying and they are more aware of the issue and likely to report it, so less bullying occurs.

Problem with this question is, I don't know if they've actually done that. I don't have a policy I could refer to, so would kinda just make something up.....
username3151084
Rep:
?
(Original post by S2M)
Triangulation?
When you use more than one research method to check the data is accurate, like using a questionnaire but also using interviews, then cross referencing to check you get the same results, I think.

I don't know why, but since I saw it in the textbook I've just had a hunch.
tanisha04
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Something like this always comes up as question number 6 in the first section. I emailed my teacher and she said you don't particularly need to identify a sociological research method but instead explain how sociological research may be HELPFUL, so for example interviews may help to identify which type of bullying is more common in schools e.g. racism, homophobic, ageism. The government and schools can then try to focus on that particular type of bullying in the school so let's say racism is the most common then schools will focus on racism and individuals who are more prone to this type of bullying, e.g. black and asian ethnic minorities.

However in tomorrow's exam i highly doubt the context will be about bullying it can be about anything but just remember to try and link it to the context and explain how sociological research can help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads