The Student Room Group

Mei fp1 may 19th 2017

Scroll to see replies

For 7bii were you meant to find a factor in the same way as C1 because I was fully doing the factor theorem and polynomial division :lol:
(7bi I completely messed up :frown:)
Original post by fuccboy23
Q4 was also: arg(1+3j) = -pi/4

I think you write it as arg(z-(1+3j))=-pi/4
Tbh, this FP1 paper was something else.
Did silly mistakes and messed up the matrix/ complex numbers questions.

Usually get A's but I'm praying to at least get a B.

**** my life
Grade boundaries won't be too low I reckon 57 or 58 for an A if I have to resit one I want it to be fp1 anyway cos after fp2 I'll find this stuff easyy
Original post by Nagromicous
Haha me too. Gonna need it. I'm hoping the boundaries will be at least a few lower than 2016.

Must be - 2016 was so much easier than this one imo!
Whatever paper you do, I think you find it hard. I did last years paper and I found it difficult at the time (not now), but this paper wasn't too difficult.
I reckon grade boundaries will stay constant maybe go down 1 if your lucky.. so 58 for an A is probably the lowest they'll be.
Reply 86
Original post by imf*cked
I want to die after fp1

It wasn't that bad of a paper
Reply 87
I reckon grade boundaries for an A will be at least 62
I think messed up the last question but it was okayyyy... the grade boundaries should be around 2016 because there were some questions that have never been on any of the past papers before (even in the spec papers)
It was 5!
Anyone get 32 for the scale factor in the last q? Idk how I did this aha. Anyone remember the matrices P and R?
Does anybody have/remember the exact questions (or just the difficult ones)? I'd like to try them.
Original post by Bunderwump
Does anybody have/remember the exact questions (or just the difficult ones)? I'd like to try them.

The answers to the proof are in this thread. That was the hardest Q on the paper.
I remember the summation which was sum to n of (1-2r)².
Original post by surina16
For 7bii were you meant to find a factor in the same way as C1 because I was fully doing the factor theorem and polynomial division :lol:
(7bi I completely messed up :frown:)

No, not fully anyway. You knew the sum of the roots was 3a (a + (a + λ) + (a - λ), which was equal to -(-6). So 3a=6, so a=2. From there you then use factorisation to get (z-2)(az^2 + bz + c), and when you get the quadratic you solve to get a=2+5j and a=2-5j.
Original post by TheDragonGuy
No, not fully anyway. You knew the sum of the roots was 3a (a + (a + λ) + (a - λ), which was equal to -(-6). So 3a=6, so a=2. From there you then use factorisation to get (z-2)(az^2 + bz + c), and when you get the quadratic you solve to get a=2+5j and a=2-5j.

Ah oops :redface: I didn't really get what was happening that whole question so I tried out random numbers until I got 2, said (x-2) was a factor and then did the rest as you said. Oh well :redface:
Original post by surina16
Ah oops :redface: I didn't really get what was happening that whole question so I tried out random numbers until I got 2, said (x-2) was a factor and then did the rest as you said. Oh well :redface:

Factor theorem from c1 is literally what you did, so they can't take marks for that.
i wanna cry after that paper.....
Original post by pcolly2509
Anyone get 32 for the scale factor in the last q? Idk how I did this aha. Anyone remember the matrices P and R?

nah pal 20, so the final area was 80 I think.

1/2gyyyryryryryryryrhrhrhrhrroot 3 over two
-root three over twoyryryryy1/2

or something

and the other was liike 2-root three ah heck I won’t remember the numbers exactly sorry
Reply 98
Has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme with the questions and corresponding marks?
I cried when I finished the exam, I got to my study room and a friend asked how it went and I just burst into tears. Hoping the grade boundaries won't be too high but I doubt they'll be low aiming for a B now
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending