Turn on thread page Beta

Mobile phone companies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm moving to the UK, to London, in September to go to uni and I have absolutly no idea which mobile phone company is the best for young ppl, students, what offers are good, what's better- pay as you go or monthly payments....????? :confused:

some info>I already have a phone, I phone and text quite a lot...

Thanx a lot for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Hi,
    I'm moving to the UK, to London, in September to go to uni and I have absolutly no idea which mobile phone company is the best for young ppl, students, what offers are good, what's better- pay as you go or monthly payments....????? :confused:

some info>I already have a phone, I phone and text quite a lot...

Thanx a lot for any help
    o2 online are cheap for a contract phone. my bills are 40 pound a month and i'm always using it

ReputationRep:
    thanx, what about orange??? no good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    thanx, what about orange??? no good?
    Try checking out www.carphonewarehouse.co.uk They have a section of all the PAYG/Pay Monthly tariffs of the main UK networks.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, O2 online all the way, who else gives you 500 texts and month, plus minutes, plus huge amounts of WAP access for free?

ReputationRep:
    Pay as you go is better than monthly contract
    or if you can find a 02 genie sim anywhere in newsagents or other places
    get one.
    300 free texts a month and free wap minutes

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, O2 is the best provider if you text alot.

However, overall the best network operator is Vodafone - but they have higher charges than the others.

I would go for O2 - do not under any circumstances choose 3.

ReputationRep:
    guess I'll be getting 02 then, thanx for help..

02 genie sim sounds good ,
    so monthly pay isn't worth it? Now in my country I have monthly pay, for me here it's worth it coz it's relativly dirt cheap when you phone a lot, pay as you go is more expensive here..

is it the same in the UK, pay as you go more expensive?

ReputationRep:
    The O2 Genie, as you refer to it, can only be bought from www.o2.co.uk, they're 99p at the moment I believe. The 300 texts are only valid for a month after you top up at least £10. Any unused after that are lost until you top up again. Still a good deal though. If texting is the only thing, get that, if you use minutes too, get an O2 online contract, shiny new phone too.

ReputationRep:
    Genie SIMs do not exist anymore so I dunno why people still think you can buy them. They were produced about 2 years ago but were bought by O2. Back then, you got totally free text and WAP but today, the modern O2 SIMs only offer you these if you top up £10 a month. For £10 a month, I would prefer to get an O2 Bolt-On, as it gives you 50 free minutes to any network, anytime, and 50 free text messages a month. I recently aquired 8 free O2 SIMs from this promotion on the O2 website and still have 5 more left. I was supposed to get sent 12 but I guess 8 is enough. I'm gonna keep all the ones with good numbers for myself!

ReputationRep:
    I ordered 12 as well a couple of days ago (waits by letter-box)

Do you get any credit on them?

Vodafone all the way imo (ok lies but my dad is loyal)

~N~

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I don't use mobile much for calls at all and survive on my % free texts a day from Orange (I bought an "outhere" package about 3 years ago, 5 free texts a day for life!)

Do you reckon that I will be using my phone more in University as I won't have the homephone to rely on to call my mates? Is it worth me going onto a contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    Genie SIMs do not exist anymore so I dunno why people still think you can buy them. They were produced about 2 years ago but were bought by O2. Back then, you got totally free text and WAP but today, the modern O2 SIMs only offer you these if you top up £10 a month. For £10 a month, I would prefer to get an O2 Bolt-On, as it gives you 50 free minutes to any network, anytime, and 50 free text messages a month. I recently aquired 8 free O2 SIMs from this promotion on the O2 website and still have 5 more left. I was supposed to get sent 12 but I guess 8 is enough. I'm gonna keep all the ones with good numbers for myself!
    Anyone else still using a genie sim? 600 texts and 100 free peak minutes for £10 a month :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    Anyone else still using a genie sim? 600 texts and 100 free peak minutes for £10 a month :rolleyes:
    Lol, how would you get 100 free peak minutes with that? On most networks, the above would cost at least £20 a month!
    :rolleyes:

(Original post by FunkMasterN)
    Do you get any credit on them?
    Vodafone all the way imo (ok lies but my dad is loyal)
    ~N~
    Nah, you don't get any credit on them. To activate the 300 free text messages and WAP, you have to top it up with £10. However, I don't want to do this and prefer to get a Bolt-On! I wished they wouldn't make 2 types of SIMs, the Online and High Street one! I sometimes get the tariffs mixed up! I think the Online tariffs are slightly better value for money though.

(Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Hey. I don't use mobile much for calls at all and survive on my % free texts a day from Orange (I bought an "outhere" package about 3 years ago, 5 free texts a day for life!)

Do you reckon that I will be using my phone more in University as I won't have the homephone to rely on to call my mates? Is it worth me going onto a contract?
    Nah, I don't think it is worth getting a contract. It may seem a good idea at first but after 6 months or so, it does get quite expensive, especially if all the free unused minutes start bundling up! There's a nice O2 Bolt-On I recommended where you get 50 Anytime minutes and 50 free texts a month for £9.99 but I'm not sure whether you can activate this on and off whenever you wish, as it would be an advantage of going for a minimum 12-month contract. Also, O2 do another Bolt-On where you get 100 Anytime minutes to any network for £9.99 a month! Please consider that other networks charge at least twice this each month to give 100 free Anytime minutes. Even I had to pay £22 a month for my Vodafone Anytime 100 contract before! (I had to reduce down to Anytime 30 for £15 a month as I didn't need all those free calls but think about it, 70 more free minutes for £5 less!

ReputationRep:
    o2 seem to be doing one of their "free sim" offers if you look here

http://www.o2promotions.co.uk/msn/

haven't got a clue what it's like though!

ReputationRep:
    6 free sims coming my way!

ReputationRep:
    yep mine too!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.