Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm moving to the UK, to London, in September to go to uni and I have absolutly no idea which mobile phone company is the best for young ppl, students, what offers are good, what's better- pay as you go or monthly payments....????? :confused:

some info>I already have a phone, I phone and text quite a lot...

Thanx a lot for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Hi,
    I'm moving to the UK, to London, in September to go to uni and I have absolutly no idea which mobile phone company is the best for young ppl, students, what offers are good, what's better- pay as you go or monthly payments....????? :confused:

some info>I already have a phone, I phone and text quite a lot...

Thanx a lot for any help
    o2 online are cheap for a contract phone. my bills are 40 pound a month and i'm always using it

ReputationRep:
    thanx, what about orange??? no good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    thanx, what about orange??? no good?
    Try checking out www.carphonewarehouse.co.uk They have a section of all the PAYG/Pay Monthly tariffs of the main UK networks.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, O2 online all the way, who else gives you 500 texts and month, plus minutes, plus huge amounts of WAP access for free?

ReputationRep:
    Pay as you go is better than monthly contract
    or if you can find a 02 genie sim anywhere in newsagents or other places
    get one.
    300 free texts a month and free wap minutes

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, O2 is the best provider if you text alot.

However, overall the best network operator is Vodafone - but they have higher charges than the others.

I would go for O2 - do not under any circumstances choose 3.

ReputationRep:
    guess I'll be getting 02 then, thanx for help..

02 genie sim sounds good ,
    so monthly pay isn't worth it? Now in my country I have monthly pay, for me here it's worth it coz it's relativly dirt cheap when you phone a lot, pay as you go is more expensive here..

is it the same in the UK, pay as you go more expensive?

ReputationRep:
    The O2 Genie, as you refer to it, can only be bought from www.o2.co.uk, they're 99p at the moment I believe. The 300 texts are only valid for a month after you top up at least £10. Any unused after that are lost until you top up again. Still a good deal though. If texting is the only thing, get that, if you use minutes too, get an O2 online contract, shiny new phone too.

ReputationRep:
    Genie SIMs do not exist anymore so I dunno why people still think you can buy them. They were produced about 2 years ago but were bought by O2. Back then, you got totally free text and WAP but today, the modern O2 SIMs only offer you these if you top up £10 a month. For £10 a month, I would prefer to get an O2 Bolt-On, as it gives you 50 free minutes to any network, anytime, and 50 free text messages a month. I recently aquired 8 free O2 SIMs from this promotion on the O2 website and still have 5 more left. I was supposed to get sent 12 but I guess 8 is enough. I'm gonna keep all the ones with good numbers for myself!

ReputationRep:
    I ordered 12 as well a couple of days ago (waits by letter-box)

Do you get any credit on them?

Vodafone all the way imo (ok lies but my dad is loyal)

~N~

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I don't use mobile much for calls at all and survive on my % free texts a day from Orange (I bought an "outhere" package about 3 years ago, 5 free texts a day for life!)

Do you reckon that I will be using my phone more in University as I won't have the homephone to rely on to call my mates? Is it worth me going onto a contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    Genie SIMs do not exist anymore so I dunno why people still think you can buy them. They were produced about 2 years ago but were bought by O2. Back then, you got totally free text and WAP but today, the modern O2 SIMs only offer you these if you top up £10 a month. For £10 a month, I would prefer to get an O2 Bolt-On, as it gives you 50 free minutes to any network, anytime, and 50 free text messages a month. I recently aquired 8 free O2 SIMs from this promotion on the O2 website and still have 5 more left. I was supposed to get sent 12 but I guess 8 is enough. I'm gonna keep all the ones with good numbers for myself!
    Anyone else still using a genie sim? 600 texts and 100 free peak minutes for £10 a month :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    Anyone else still using a genie sim? 600 texts and 100 free peak minutes for £10 a month :rolleyes:
    Lol, how would you get 100 free peak minutes with that? On most networks, the above would cost at least £20 a month!
    :rolleyes:

(Original post by FunkMasterN)
    Do you get any credit on them?
    Vodafone all the way imo (ok lies but my dad is loyal)
    ~N~
    Nah, you don't get any credit on them. To activate the 300 free text messages and WAP, you have to top it up with £10. However, I don't want to do this and prefer to get a Bolt-On! I wished they wouldn't make 2 types of SIMs, the Online and High Street one! I sometimes get the tariffs mixed up! I think the Online tariffs are slightly better value for money though.

(Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Hey. I don't use mobile much for calls at all and survive on my % free texts a day from Orange (I bought an "outhere" package about 3 years ago, 5 free texts a day for life!)

Do you reckon that I will be using my phone more in University as I won't have the homephone to rely on to call my mates? Is it worth me going onto a contract?
    Nah, I don't think it is worth getting a contract. It may seem a good idea at first but after 6 months or so, it does get quite expensive, especially if all the free unused minutes start bundling up! There's a nice O2 Bolt-On I recommended where you get 50 Anytime minutes and 50 free texts a month for £9.99 but I'm not sure whether you can activate this on and off whenever you wish, as it would be an advantage of going for a minimum 12-month contract. Also, O2 do another Bolt-On where you get 100 Anytime minutes to any network for £9.99 a month! Please consider that other networks charge at least twice this each month to give 100 free Anytime minutes. Even I had to pay £22 a month for my Vodafone Anytime 100 contract before! (I had to reduce down to Anytime 30 for £15 a month as I didn't need all those free calls but think about it, 70 more free minutes for £5 less!

ReputationRep:
    o2 seem to be doing one of their "free sim" offers if you look here

http://www.o2promotions.co.uk/msn/

haven't got a clue what it's like though!

ReputationRep:
    6 free sims coming my way!

ReputationRep:
    yep mine too!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.