Why does anybody want to be C of E?

Watch this thread
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Seriously, considering all the religions out there then why does anybody want to be C of E in this day and age?

The C of E is England's national religion and the religion of the Queen but wanting to be a member of the C of E is like taking the standard option offered rather than choosing something according to your own tastes and preferences.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
Seriously, considering all the religions out there then why does anybody want to be C of E in this day and age?

The C of E is England's national religion and the religion of the Queen but wanting to be a member of the C of E is like taking the standard option offered rather than choosing something according to your own tastes and preferences.
But that's just it, the people I know just kind of follow religion without any real interest in it for whatever reason and choose it because they went to that kind of school or their parents follow it etc.
the bear
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
the founder of the C of E was a syphilitic wife-killer.... it is still quite popular.
Arran90
Rep:
Thomas Cranmer was burnt at the stake. His book of Common Prayer survived and is now out of copyright in every country of the world except Britain.
TheJonno91
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm a member of the CofE because I agree with its teachings, I'm an Anglican.

Not to mention I value its heritage and it's a link back to our ancestors.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I joined the Church of England after trying a number of different options first. It just happens to be closest to what I want.
Arran90
Rep:
I consider members of the C of E to be dull and unadventurous when it comes to religion. If they were real hardline Protestants then they would probably be Presbyterians.

I can remember the episode of Porridge when the new inmate is asked about his religion and he replies C of E. Next he is told that he can grow his hair if he says that he is a Sikh or have special food if he says that he is a Muslim.
Arran90
Rep:
Would it be a tragic loss to the nation if the C of E was abolished and disestablished? C of E churches will become independent Lutheran churches. The Bishops will no longer sit in the House of Lords and the Monarch will no longer be the head of any church or required to swear that they are Protestant.

The US gets along just fine without an established church and Americans are overall more religious when it comes to Christianity than the British are.
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
I consider members of the C of E to be dull and unadventurous when it comes to religion. If they were real hardline Protestants then they would probably be Presbyterians.

I can remember the episode of Porridge when the new inmate is asked about his religion and he replies C of E. Next he is told that he can grow his hair if he says that he is a Sikh or have special food if he says that he is a Muslim.

There are 57 varieties of CofE from very High church which is more like a catholic way of worship or the charismatic evangelistic style more Pentecostal.

I've attended a variety and some are just become community centres catering for people's social life, like having drama clubs, fairs and fates, coffee mornings, exercise classes etc.but never drawing you closer to knowing that God is alive.

Others are amazing and preach the good news like Holy Trinity Brompton in central London.

Talking about prisons, the Alpha course is doing amazing things in its prison ministry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (52)
64.2%
No (23)
28.4%
I didn't use it to prepare (6)
7.41%

Watched Threads