z_o_e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone help me on the B and C style question Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494767130.553330.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  124.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
CandidateZero
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Respond to the quotation, explaining two valid arguments for and against or solely against or for. Certainly begin by citing some general beliefs and then possibly focus on a single religious tradition: me, Christianity or Islam.

For example:

Although many religious traditions dispel pro-equality beliefs, a religious believer may agree with the quotation. Inequality is widespread, as well as suffering across the world and even the unity of religion cannot resolve all inequity.

However, a religious believer may disagree with the quotation. The Ten Commandments in Christianity form a basis to achieve equality, and religious figures such as Martin Luther King have proven that inequality can be overcome against odds. Every religious believer has a duty to sought for equality.

NB: your reasoning does not need to be in such detail, but just ensure you make two valid points
z_o_e
Rep:
?
(Original post by CandidateZero)
Respond to the quotation, explaining two valid arguments for and against or solely against or for. Certainly begin by citing some general beliefs and then possibly focus on a single religious tradition: me, Christianity or Islam.

For example:

Although many religious traditions dispel pro-equality beliefs, a religious believer may agree with the quotation. Inequality is widespread, as well as suffering across the world and even the unity of religion cannot resolve all inequity.

However, a religious believer may disagree with the quotation. The Ten Commandments in Christianity form a basis to achieve equality, and religious figures such as Martin Luther King have proven that inequality can be overcome against odds. Every religious believer has a duty to sought for equality.

NB: your reasoning does not need to be in such detail, but just ensure you make two valid points
Thank you so much!!!! Also can you quickly help me o this Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494768058.711506.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  151.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
z_o_e
Rep:
?
What does the B style justice question mean?

And can someone explain the role of Malcom x

Was he a pacifist ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
Thank you so much!!!! Also can you quickly help me o this Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494768058.711506.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  151.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah! I hated this question and my teacher said that they aren't likely to include the phrase 'secular' again, because it threw so many candidates. Secular refers to non-believers, so it's basically a question arguing for and against religion's relevance. For example:

A religious believer would disagree that British contemporary society is secular. Many British people have a religious faith and many to come will have so too, because the religious spirit is timeless and undying. Religious faith encourages shared happiness and charity.

However, the argument against this statement is that there are more and more agnostics in our society, religion is reducing in scope and many consider holy texts such as the Qur'an and the Bible considered to be outdated by many.
Rarest
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For B questions, you can basically follow a PEED structure for a guaranteed four marks(if you make relevant points);

P - Point - Some christians organisations work for justice by helping and giving aid to the poor who are struck by poverty

E - Evidence - An example of this is christian aid, they support people in poorer countries by giving them short term and long term aid and education so that they may have a better life

E- Explain - They do this because the bible tells them to "treat others as they want to be treated" and "love thy neighbour" and this might inspire them to strive for equality and justice.

D - Develop - They do this to follow the example of jesus, who was righteous and treated everyone equally.

My answer is not perfect as there is probably a much better example for justice as this example fits more into equality. Also there are probably more relavant quotes however the point I'm trying to get across is the structure. To answer B questions effectively, just break it down into these 4 parts.
z_o_e
Rep:
?
Ah! I hated this question and my teacher said that they aren't likely to include the phrase 'secular' again, because it threw so many candidates. Secular refers to non-believers, so it's basically a question arguing for and against religion's relevance. For example:

A religious believer would disagree that British contemporary society is secular. Many British people have a religious faith and many to come will have so too, because the religious spirit is timeless and undying. Religious faith encourages shared happiness and charity.

However, the argument against this statement is that there are more and more agnostics in our society, religion is reducing in scope and many consider holy texts such as the Qur'an and the Bible considered to be outdated by many.
Thank you! Don't you say a Muslim believer may disagree

A Christina believer may agree..

Posted from TSR Mobile
z_o_e
Rep:
?

For example:

I'm just doing this now. Doesn't it have to be a Muslim and Christian example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dizgurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For the 'British society question' you can talk about how Queen Elizabeth is protestant and religious? Because anything that the Queen does or says can be used as evidence for christianity.
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
I'm just doing this now. Doesn't it have to be a Muslim and Christian example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can be, although not necessarily. According to the mark scheme, an answer need not focus on a particular faith but must explore the impact of faith.

In other words, you can answer it from Christianity and/or Islam viewpoint, or a non-specific general viewpoint.

Good luck tomorrow
z_o_e
Rep:
?
It can be, although not necessarily. According to the mark scheme, an answer need not focus on a particular faith but must explore the impact of faith.

In other words, you can answer it from Christianity and/or Islam viewpoint, or a non-specific general viewpoint.

Good luck tomorrow
can somone please hekp me on this B style questions "explain how a reeligious belief might influence vocation"
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
can somone please hekp me on this B style questions "explain how a reeligious belief might influence vocation"
Vocation is a calling from God to do something. It is, to a religious believer, responding to God (so if a question comes up tomorrow about responding to God, certainly mention vocation). My answer to the question would be:

Vocation is the calling from God to a religious believer to carry out acts of devotion. A Christian may respond to vocation by becoming a priest, to solemnly devote their life to God. A religious believer may respond to vocation by using their special talents to good effect, such as becoming a doctor to support the sanctity of life.
z_o_e
Rep:
?
Vocation is a calling from God to do something. It is, to a religious believer, responding to God (so if a question comes up tomorrow about responding to God, certainly mention vocation). My answer to the question would be:

Vocation is the calling from God to a religious believer to carry out acts of devotion. A Christian may respond to vocation by becoming a priest, to solemnly devote their life to God. A religious believer may respond to vocation by using their special talents to good effect, such as becoming a doctor to support the sanctity of life.
thank you so much!! so if an E style question was religion is always portayed as negative

what examples could i use? as there are no religious examples
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
thank you so much!! so if an E style question was religion is always portayed as negative

what examples could i use? as there are no religious examples
Suppose "religion is always portrayed as negative" as a part (e) question. Some points I'd include would be that:

- Many Muslims believe Islam is unfairly portrayed by the media
- There is a disproportionate coverage of Islamic terror than other religiously-motivated terror
- The media associates Islamic terror with Islam as a whole
- BUT many Muslims simply ignore the negative portrayal/many Muslims are unaware of negative portrayal.
- Often, the media unfairly portray religion by conforming to or creating stereotypes of religious culture.
- The media can create prejudice, but equally, it can highlight prejudice against religion.
- Coverage of religious ceremonies arguably portrays the strength or solidarity of religion.
- Religious believers often see religious figures such as the Pope treated with respect and compassion.
- Religious culture is respected for holy books that are at their core, such as the Qur'an and the Bible.

Forming a conclusion, I'd probably argue that in many respects, religion is (often times unfairly) negatively portrayed (by the media and related sources), but also that religion is also respected for its culture, religious figures and the holy books that are associated.
z_o_e
Rep:
?
Suppose "religion is always portrayed as negative" as a part (e) question. Some points I'd include would be that:

- Many Muslims believe Islam is unfairly portrayed by the media
- There is a disproportionate coverage of Islamic terror than other religiously-motivated terror
- The media associates Islamic terror with Islam as a whole
- BUT many Muslims simply ignore the negative portrayal/many Muslims are unaware of negative portrayal.
- Often, the media unfairly portray religion by conforming to or creating stereotypes of religious culture.
- The media can create prejudice, but equally, it can highlight prejudice against religion.
- Coverage of religious ceremonies arguably portrays the strength or solidarity of religion.
- Religious believers often see religious figures such as the Pope treated with respect and compassion.
- Religious culture is respected for holy books that are at their core, such as the Qur'an and the Bible.

Forming a conclusion, I'd probably argue that in many respects, religion is (often times unfairly) negatively portrayed (by the media and related sources), but also that religion is also respected for its culture, religious figures and the holy books that are associated.

thanks!
can you please explain whatt this quote means
"belivers stand up firmly to justice as witness for allah even if it is against your parents or relations"
z_o_e
Rep:
?
Also this quote aswell "he sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives...to set free the opressed"
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
thanks!
can you please explain whatt this quote means
"belivers stand up firmly to justice as witness for allah even if it is against your parents or relations"
From the Qur'an, 4:135 "O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm in justice, witnesses for Allah, even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives."

Essentially, every Muslim must, at the command of Allah, treat everyone justly. It is a quotation to cite in questions about equality; how Allah commanded every Muslim to be aware of injustice and act against it at every cost. It also incorporates ideals about wealth, that if you "yourself" are wealthy, you are compelled by Allah to do good with your wealth. (All wealth is a gift from Allah.)

There are many more interpretations, and this only covers the basics. Hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (98)
13.05%
1 (94)
12.52%
2 (94)
12.52%
19.31%
22.5%
20.11%

Watched Threads