ineedthosegrades
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am answering 6 mark questions on contraception but I do not know what quotes to use for, for and against contraception.
SorabVij
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ineedthosegrades)
I am answering 6 mark questions on contraception but I do not know what quotes to use for, for and against contraception.
Roman Catholics- they are against it as the purpose of sex is to create a family, not for lust

Protestants- They are fine with it as sex is important to hold a relationship together.
mirlotta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"the Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away"
"before I formed thee in the womb, I knew thee"
"be fruitful and multiply"
"life begins at conception"
"thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb"
- don't "play God"
ineedthosegrades
Rep:
?
(Original post by SorabVij)
Roman Catholics- they are against it as the purpose of sex is to create a family, not for lust

Protestants- They are fine with it as sex is important to hold a relationship together.
Thanks but I already have the points I just need quotes. I got one for Roman Catholics = "Be fruitful and increase in number" (Genesis 1:28)
Frankie1_11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For against, you could do "Go forth and multiply" or "God gives life, God takes life away." I hope that helps.
ineedthosegrades
Rep:
?
(Original post by mirlotta)
"the Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away"
"before I formed thee in the womb, I knew thee"
"be fruitful and multiply"
"life begins at conception"
"thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb"
- don't "play God"
Do you have any for PRO Contraception, contraception is good.
mirlotta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ineedthosegrades)
Do you have any for PRO Contraception, contraception is good.
Not as such, but I'd talk about how Quakers believe we each have free will, and so it is our choice whether to have kids or not. The Bible never explicitly states anything pro-contraception though. In both Christianty and Judaism, people are forbidden to "waste seed", but (I know you're not asking about Judaism but lol excuse me my tangent) in Judaism, a woman IS allowed to use contraception if she's underage, breast feeding, or already pregnant.
ineedthosegrades
Rep:
?
(Original post by mirlotta)
Not as such, but I'd talk about how Quakers believe we each have free will, and so it is our choice whether to have kids or not. The Bible never explicitly states anything pro-contraception though. In both Christianty and Judaism, people are forbidden to "waste seed", but (I know you're not asking about Judaism but lol excuse me my tangent) in Judaism, a woman IS allowed to use contraception if she's underage, breast feeding, or already pregnant.
omg sry I'm such an idiot. the question was "Explain why some Christians are against the use of contraception."
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like to reference Thomas Aquinas' Natural Moral Law for against contraception
While on the other hand Josephs Fletcher's Situation Ethics for for contraception.
pastelsloth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i swear u dont need quotes, the new re gcse does though
ineedthosegrades
Rep:
?
(Original post by pastelsloth)
i swear u dont need quotes, the new re gcse does though
lol ofc you do. Only for the 6 and 12 mark questions.
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
While on the other hand Josephs Fletcher's Situation Ethics for for contraception.
When you use ideas from philosophers/ scholars etc, do you think you've got to direct quote or can you just paraphrase?
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by e2014)
When you use ideas from philosophers/ scholars etc, do you think you've got to direct quote or can you just paraphrase?
You dont need to quote them, you just need to explain their ideas. That's why I like using them - less to remember
e2014
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You dont need to quote them, you just need to explain their ideas. That's why I like using them - less to remember
Ah that's amazing. For some reason I feel like my essays are empty without a significant amount of quotes so I'm always reluctant to include something unless it's a quote but that definitely puts me at ease.
e2014
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How are you framing Aquinas' ideas to go against contraception?
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by e2014)
How are you framing Aquinas' ideas to go against contraception?
I would say that the telos of genetalia is to reproduce, however having sex with contraception means it is impossible to reproduce, so it is breaking Thomas Aquinas' understanding of natural moral law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.06%
They've been reasonable (69)
40.59%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.88%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise