Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Not just the indiviudal modules, more noticeably whole AS Levels. Edexcel seem to give 300/300 more easily, but also can be v harsh in certain cases. AQA seem more consistent and level headed, thats for sure.
    Edexcel seem to exaggerate. If you do very well you will do extremely well, if not you're doomed as i found out in my A2 modules...

I may be requesting my scripts back.

ReputationRep:
    It strikes me that what someone else said in a post about the harmony of the board disappearing post-exam results is true. If someone doesn't get good grades (or high, e.g. they get a C opposed to an A) themselves, they want to slate those who didn't. The fact is, anyone who's A-C grades should be damn proud of themselves and that's that.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - Easier on AQA than Edexcel.
    A lot of people that I know have said this.

I can't really comment on any others though, as the few past papers that I did were all on AQA board.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that arrogant to suddenly attack Edexcel because I didn't get 300/300 in anything!!

I said it works both ways, Edexcel seem to "exaggerate". They can screw you a bit, as well as being lovely. AQA seem more steady.
    I never suggested or said that you were arrogant. I said that you were slating Edexcel's giving 300/300 at times, because it hasn't happened to you. Yes, Edexcel can screw you sometimes - I've heard of this happening. But it happens with every board!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that arrogant to suddenly attack Edexcel because I didn't get 300/300 in anything!!

I said it works both ways, Edexcel seem to "exaggerate". They can screw you a bit, as well as being lovely. AQA seem more steady.
    I suppose that could well be true. Most the people I know who do AQA, generally, got the marks that they expected - or better.

Although I've found that (amongst people that I know) Maths has produced the most discontented people, by a long way. Somebody I know got AAAE (with an E in maths).

ReputationRep:
    Well exactly, so why should I be bothered about 300/300 when I clearly stated that they can also screw you a bit? Clearly I think it can go both ways, and from the responses, this certainly seems the case; it has even been in the media, the inconsistency of Edexcel.

"I said that you were slating Edexcel's giving 300/300 at times, because it hasn't happened to you." - No, I felt AQA were too generous with me in General Studies, and I admitted it. I'm fair.
    I'm just tired of people ****ging off A-Levels, and the way you suggested that working hard and getting 300/300 with Edexcel wasn't worth as much as 300/300 with AQA. That seemed petty to me.

Hey, don't put yourself down with the General Studies! Sometimes we think we've done rather crappily, when actually, we hit all the assessment objectives. I think most students are pretty poor at predicting how we've done at exams! I know I am.

ReputationRep:
    No, I felt I was over marked in General Studies, so I think I should say so if I am then going to comment on others.

Mathematics on AQA is extremely consistent, btw, I virtually predicted my marks spot on. Pure 1 was exactly identical to my prediction, Pure 2 was a touch higher to prediction, Mechanics 1 a touch lower. (say 2-3 UMS at most, when I refer to "touch").

Edexcel Mathematics scores are not so consistent I think. As i said, I feel that the AS Mathematics course on AQA is slightly harder (Due to AQA M1 I reckon), but Edexcel aren't as consistent with the marking perhaps; infact, I'm inclined to say that Edexcel tend to screw Maths candidates more than the generosity.
    Well, I can't really comment on Maths as I haven't done it, so can't make exam board comparisons. I didn't last more than a week in AS Maths at college. I was bored rigid...

ReputationRep:
    On a sidenote, having gauged the tone of people on this forum, people that I know, people in the media, the pressure for places - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a notable increase in the number of people doing 4+ A2s this coming year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    In ENGLISH???

somehow, through whatever miracle or balls-up at the exam board, I managed to get 90/90 on two of my Eng Lit/Lang papers (and 92/120 in the other, but I knew I'd done awful in that).

I didn't know you could get 100% in an English exam...

I'm not boasting or anything, I just wanted to see if anyone else has got 100% in english before, to make sure this isn't a ****-up by the exam board.

Ta.

Pix xx
    I was really confused about my English as well.

I got 120/120 on the big synoptic paper. I by no means deserve that - I got a low B for AS!!!!!! :confused: :eek:

(Original post by kingslaw)
    What angered/inspired me to start that thread was seeing someone describe his (yes, most of the people who've done this have been male for some reason) 108/120 as "awful". How does that make people feel who got 107 or under?!? I hoped my thread would persuade people to approacht such complaints about their results differently. For example that individual should have gone more along the lines of "I am dissapointed because, although my 108/120 was an A and is still very, very good, I was aiming for somewhere closer to full-marks." rather than just saying it was "awful".
    that is what i was trying to get across in support of this however i think it just came out wrong. Because it does make people who have also achieved the same grade but a lower mark get the impression that despite the fact they have a good grade and should be proud that other people think it is awful..

I don't really think that criticising your own grades is tantamount to making others feel bad.

Like for me, I would have been slightly disappointed with high B's or scraped A's in biology, because that's my best subject and previously I've got top A's in it.

However in physics or maths I would be delighted with a B or scraped A. Just because some of my friends looked at their maths modules and groaned at just scraping an A didn't make me feel bad about my B!

Seriously, if you get THAT upset by other people discussing their grades, I think you have some kind of problem - and in any case if you are truly bothered by it, DON'T GO ON UKL or at least on threads discussing results.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I don't really think that criticising your own grades is tantamount to making others feel bad.

Like for me, I would have been slightly disappointed with high B's or scraped A's in biology, because that's my best subject and previously I've got top A's in it.

However in physics or maths I would be delighted with a B or scraped A. Just because some of my friends looked at their maths modules and groaned at just scraping an A didn't make me feel bad about my B!

Seriously, if you get THAT upset by other people discussing their grades, I think you have some kind of problem - and in any case if you are truly bothered by it, DON'T GO ON UKL or at least on threads discussing results.

rosie
    I think you're missing the point.

(Original post by StarBlueUK)
    I think you're missing the point.
    which is?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so relieved someone has re-iterated what I've said about 20 times in the last few days.

Look at yourself, not other people for god sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hmmm...your on a public internet forum where what you say is recorded and is available for anyone with access to a computer and the internet can see, but your telling people to be more personal in their conduct! Something doesnt quite match up there I'm afraid...

(Original post by kingslaw)
    Hmmm...your on a public internet forum where what you say is recorded and is available for anyone with access to a computer and the internet can see, but your telling people to be more personal in their conduct! Something doesnt quite match up there I'm afraid...

I really don't understand what you are saying. Call me thick*, but could you rephrase it please?

* not intended to demean thick people

ReputationRep:
    I think what he means is that this place is public, and therefore we should not tell people to stay away.

Oh well, I'm tired...probably not understanding either.

(Original post by Squishy)
    I think what he means is that this place is public, and therefore we should not tell people to stay away.

Oh well, I'm tired...probably not understanding either.

i dont really see that in his message but you're quite probably right.. still.. it's like if you you were infertile and seeing babies upset you, wif you kept going on message boards about babies and then moaning people talked abouty babies, they would rightkly suggest you didnt go on them!

ahem

crap anaology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i dont really see that in his message but you're quite probably right.. still.. it's like if you you were infertile and seeing babies upset you, wif you kept going on message boards about babies and then moaning people talked abouty babies, they would rightkly suggest you didnt go on them!

ahem

crap anaology
    LOL, well I see your point.

Having said that though, I have recently read some threads from people who are complete whiners. It really makes me want to slap them when they're complaining about such trivial things...it's not just about academic stuff.

(Original post by Squishy)
    LOL, well I see your point.

Having said that though, I have recently read some threads from people who are complete whiners. It really makes me want to slap them when they're complaining about such trivial things...it's not just about academic stuff.

this is true, we do have an awful lot of whiners i n general chat etc as well.

i find them quite entertaining though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    this is true, we do have an awful lot of whiners i n general chat etc as well.

i find them quite entertaining though
    They are entertaining, especially the ones that think the difference between an A and an A* is the same as that between life and death...but I do genuinely feel sorry for them if they really think that much of their problems. Maybe I'm just too laid-back, but I gave up on caring about a lot of things a long time ago.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.