The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 1 (Old specification) [25th May 2017]

Haven't seen a thread for this exam, probably due to not many people doing it as its a resit only paper, so decided to create one.

This thread is for post and pre exam discussion, so free feel to make predictions, ask questions about the exam etc..

:bigsmile:

Scroll to see replies

Two days remaining!
Reply 2
Hi im doing it too. how are you feeling?
Original post by SohaXO
Hi im doing it too. how are you feeling?

Humbly confident would be the right word to use :biggrin:
Reply 4
How did you find it? :-)
Original post by SohaXO
How did you find it? :-)

I found it hard, the questions were set out very differently from past papers, wbu?
Reply 6
There were a few from past paper questions. I ran out of time at the end, but overall not bad. We'll see on results day yikes! Are you doing any other biology modules?
It was okay but very open ended, quite different from past papers and made a few mistakes/almost ran out of time.
Reply 8
Can we discuss answers?
Reply 9
Can anyone remember the questions?
Reply 10
Honestly, it was different from past papers. There was a lot of application! I remember there was a question on energy balance, dialysis (heavy application), mutations, amino acids (what did people do for the diagram I got stumped on that one). I answered all the questions but I didn't like the paper at all
Original post by Nandra
Honestly, it was different from past papers. There was a lot of application! I remember there was a question on energy balance, dialysis (heavy application), mutations, amino acids (what did people do for the diagram I got stumped on that one). I answered all the questions but I didn't like the paper at all

Just drew the basic amino acid with the the suggested r group no?
Reply 12
What did people write for the treatment of CVD that would help the smoker? I put ACE inhibitors but I'm not sure.

There were a few nice easy questions but it didnt make up for the fact it was quite a nasty paper. I thought it would be easier considering not many people would be retaking it but I guess I thought wrong lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Nandra

There was one question on protein synthesis where i explained translations and transcription. I also remember talking about protein structure and how it changes like primary>secondary>tertiary in terrms of folding and bonds. For the amino acid one i replaced the R group with the ch2-ch2-cooh groups and normally drew an amino acid so central carbon with nh2 and cooh group :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Nandra
What did people write for the treatment of CVD that would help the smoker? I put ACE inhibitors but I'm not sure.

There were a few nice easy questions but it didnt make up for the fact it was quite a nasty paper. I thought it would be easier considering not many people would be retaking it but I guess I thought wrong lol

I put statins and explained what it did lol i regret that now. i also forgot to mention how BP decreases too but i think any drug should be fine within reason of explanation
Reply 15
So did you guys keep the amine and carboxyl then what did you add in place of the r group, CH2? I got a bit confused because it had CH2-CH2- and I wasnt sure why there was two?
Original post by SohaXO
I put statins and explained what it did lol i regret that now. i also forgot to mention how BP decreases too but i think any drug should be fine within reason of explanation

Anyone say antihypertensives???
Original post by Nandra
So did you guys keep the amine and carboxyl then what did you add in place of the r group, CH2? I got a bit confused because it had CH2-CH2- and I wasnt sure why there was two?

the r group was ch2-ch2-cooh
Original post by Nandra

Which diagram??
Reply 19
the one with the amino acid but I feel dumb now I realise I was getting confused for no reason aha !
Original post by Manpreett
Which diagram??

Quick Reply

Latest