The Student Room Group

Leicester uni primary PGCE - what is it like?

Can anyone give me some insight into the Leicester uni primary PGCE? What's your timetable like? How many hours? Placement wise, are you given a random school or can you make a request? I live half an hour from the uni if the traffic is reasonably clear, getting half an hour the other side of Leicester in rush hour doesn't sound fun! Do you enjoy it? Any advice greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Have a look at SCITT courses. You will have a better idea of placement school if a commute is a worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
When at university, the hours are typically 9am - 4pm with earlier starts and later finishes when required. You cannot request specific schools for placements, but they try to give you schools to which you can get easily. There are no guarantees that this will happen, though, and people with cars can sometimes get schools that can take up to an hour to reach, but that's the worse case scenario.

I enjoyed the course (I completed it last year) but, like other teacher training courses, it's hard work and the hours can very be long and tiring - much like teaching itself, really! I don't have any regrets with training at Leicester or going into teaching in general.

The School Direct route (and Leicester is partnered with lots of primary schools to deliver this route) or a SCITT course would give you greater control over the schools in which you are placed.
Original post by Pierson
When at university, the hours are typically 9am - 4pm with earlier starts and later finishes when required. You cannot request specific schools for placements, but they try to give you schools to which you can get easily. There are no guarantees that this will happen, though, and people with cars can sometimes get schools that can take up to an hour to reach, but that's the worse case scenario.

I enjoyed the course (I completed it last year) but, like other teacher training courses, it's hard work and the hours can very be long and tiring - much like teaching itself, really! I don't have any regrets with training at Leicester or going into teaching in general.

The School Direct route (and Leicester is partnered with lots of primary schools to deliver this route) or a SCITT course would give you greater control over the schools in which you are placed.

hi,

im interested in a SD route with UoL. Alevels are poor at BEE, do I have any chance? I noticed on providers sites, good to very good A levels are needed.
Reply 4
The only surefire way to know is to ring and ask or to apply and wait and see. What degree qualification do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by superdan_
hi,

im interested in a SD route with UoL. Alevels are poor at BEE, do I have any chance? I noticed on providers sites, good to very good A levels are needed.

It's up to the individual schools, so it's worth contacting the schools to which you are interested in applying. A poor academic record can be overlooked with those who have a decent amount of experience working in education or a good degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending