carlritchie96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi Guys,I am currently an undergrad at Lancaster and will be studying as a postgrad next year at UCL. I have been looking at accomodation and have seen that UCL do not offer accommodation to UK students. I have also you can be accepted in September should someone not need/want their room. Does anyone know which is true?Does anyone have any suggestions for accommodation e.g private landlords or houses if the answer to the above is yes?Thanks for any help.
ms1234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes, sadly true, here's the eligibility list:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...ility/graduate

I'm in the same boat this year, so take what i say with a grain of salt - but have been living in london for 5 years.

They typically recommend going through UoL for accommodation, and you might be able to find postgrad halls in here if you are interested in that.

For private sector rental most of the "student studio apartment blocks" places cost nearly as much as rent a full flat anyway, i've seen some of the student places costing 270+ p/w (internet/electricity/gas inc.), but tbh i'd suggest just looking on rightmove or zoopla and seeing if you can find anything better (ton of nice places ive seen <280, and 300 is a magic cutoff that a ton of 1BR become available).

If you can't afford this and not keen on UoL places, i'd hit up all the standard room share websites, london accommodation is much cheaper when you hit the 3+ sharing number
carlritchie96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for this,

Do you know if UoL halls accept UCL graduate UK students?

I am looking at Garden Halls, Connaught Hall and International Halls, anything you have heard about these would be great too.

Thanks again.
ms1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, i'm not sure if they'll offer PostGrad UoL halls to UCL students, i think you are best ringing to see - the only thing i've seen is that UCL suggest you use UoL... if i had to guess they mean https://housing.london.ac.uk/ (rather than halls) but you might get lucky

It's not the best situation for Postgrad's honestly, London is far from cheap to live in, it seems flat shares are a pretty solid way to cut the costs.

Personally, i'm just going to suck it up for a year and get a private 1BR apartment off zoopla/rightmove.
AkaashAgarwal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ms1234)
Honestly, i'm not sure if they'll offer PostGrad UoL halls to UCL students, i think you are best ringing to see - the only thing i've seen is that UCL suggest you use UoL... if i had to guess they mean https://housing.london.ac.uk/ (rather than halls) but you might get lucky

It's not the best situation for Postgrad's honestly, London is far from cheap to live in, it seems flat shares are a pretty solid way to cut the costs.

Personally, i'm just going to suck it up for a year and get a private 1BR apartment off zoopla/rightmove.
Hey! Could you tell me where UCL suggests going through UoL instead of UCL accomm. services for UoL intercollegiate halls? I'm looking at Garden Halls, Connaught, and still pondering over a couple of others.
Thanks!

PS: I'm a non-EU/UK student.
ms1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AkaashAgarwal)
Hey! Could you tell me where UCL suggests going through UoL instead of UCL accomm. services for UoL intercollegiate halls? I'm looking at Garden Halls, Connaught, and still pondering over a couple of others.
Thanks!

PS: I'm a non-EU/UK student.
The link i gave states it - however the UoL bit is only applicable for EU/UK students.
The information for international students is there also btw.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...ility/graduate

"UK and other EU students

UCL is unable to offer student accommodation to graduate students with UK/EU fee status. There is a range of other private accommodation options and you may wish to use the University of London Housing Services."

If you are non-EU/UK student, its a different set of rules, international students studying postgrad are allowed to apply for UCL accommodation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.75%
I'm not sure (32)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (225)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (347)
48.19%

Watched Threads