livsney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would like to study geography at university. Currently, I am doing AS levels in biology, geography and maths which are more science based than humanities based. Durham is the uni I would like to go to and after seeing lots of posts saying 'bsc is better than ba' 'bsc is more respected than ba', I was wondering why the BA requires higher entry grades than the BSc?

I prefer human geography, however my A-levels are more science based [I do slightly regret my choices, and wish I chose history or RS instead of maths] and if the BA isn't as well respected, what would be the best option?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by livsney)
I would like to study geography at university. Currently, I am doing AS levels in biology, geography and maths which are more science based than humanities based. Durham is the uni I would like to go to and after seeing lots of posts saying 'bsc is better than ba' 'bsc is more respected than ba', I was wondering why the BA requires higher entry grades than the BSc?

I prefer human geography, however my A-levels are more science based [I do slightly regret my choices, and wish I chose history or RS instead of maths] and if the BA isn't as well respected, what would be the best option?
People who say a BSc is better/more respected than a BA are idiots, don't pay any attention. Entry requirements are only an indicator of course popularity, if the BA degree has higher entry requirements then it just means they get more applicants than the BSc. If you prefer human geography then you should apply for the BA degree.

The first year of the BA and BSc degrees at Durham are almost identical, and there probably is scope to switch from one degree to the other if your interests change.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by livsney)

I am not a geographer but my understanding is the BA focuses on human geography whereas the BSc is on physical geography. There's no difference in respectability.

By the way, all 3 year undergrad degrees awarded by Oxbridge are BAs - even in the sciences...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads