Help understanding my BTEC results?

Watch this thread
zn1
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently applying late to a couple Uni's through UCAS and I have a level 3 (QCF) extended diploma in IT from College. I know this is roughly 60+ UCAS points. However when I try and select my grade I'm met with options such as DMM or MMM or MMP and I don't have 3 grades on my diploma, I just have the one. It just says Distinction. There's not like DDD or DDM or anything like that? It's definitely the right qualification. I've double checked all that. I've even tried to get in touch with Pearson but they're pretty pants. How should I go about adding this result to my UCAS profile? Should I just say it's DDD? or is that completely different? I don't know why It just says 1 grade on my diploma.
The qualification says as follows:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in IT (QCF) With Grade DISTINCTION.

Any help would be great. Cheers guys.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zn1)
I'm currently applying late to a couple Uni's through UCAS and I have a level 3 (QCF) extended diploma in IT from College. I know this is roughly 60+ UCAS points. However when I try and select my grade I'm met with options such as DMM or MMM or MMP and I don't have 3 grades on my diploma, I just have the one. It just says Distinction. There's not like DDD or DDM or anything like that? It's definitely the right qualification. I've double checked all that. I've even tried to get in touch with Pearson but they're pretty pants. How should I go about adding this result to my UCAS profile? Should I just say it's DDD? or is that completely different? I don't know why It just says 1 grade on my diploma.

Any help would be great. Cheers guys.
You're chosing the wrong option on UCAS Apply - search for BTEC Subsidiary Diploma and you'll be able to enter just a single grade. The Extended diploma is worth 3 times the ucas points (and you definitely shouldn't enter that if you don't have an extended diploma - that would mean you'd be lying about your qualifications and could mean your place/offers would be revoked)
zn1
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
You're chosing the wrong option on UCAS Apply - search for BTEC Subsidiary Diploma and you'll be able to enter just a single grade. The Extended diploma is worth 3 times the ucas points (and you definitely shouldn't enter that if you don't have an extended diploma - that would mean you'd be lying about your qualifications and could mean your place/offers would be revoked)
But I do have an extended diploma. I know for a fact the qualification I got from college is worth about 60 UCAS points. When I go to a UCAS calculator the BTEC DIPLOMA QCF is worth around 60 UCAS points... That's exactly what I have... The other one is worth like 18 UCAS points or something... I was told in college my BTEC is equivalent to 2 A-levels or something like that... I've already submitted my application as an extended diploma. I'm not trying to trick anyone. I genuinely believe that's what I've got. I even got a reference on UCAS from my ICT BTEC teacher from college and she says in the reference that I achieved a BTEC Extended Diploma. The only bit that's confusing me is that on my qualification certificate it just says 1 result. Where I think it should say 3. The qualification you're talking about is only like 18 UCAS points... I know for a fact I don't have that one. Anyway I've applied already and it's all be sent off. I just told them I've got a Distinction and not a DDD... There's a little textbox next to the grades section and I just inputted Distinction. So I haven't lied about my grade.
Thanks for your help!
PQ
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zn1)
But I do have an extended diploma. I know for a fact the qualification I got from college is worth about 60 UCAS points. When I go to a UCAS calculator the BTEC DIPLOMA QCF is worth around 60 UCAS points... That's exactly what I have... The other one is worth like 18 UCAS points or something... I was told in college my BTEC is equivalent to 2 A-levels or something like that... I've already submitted my application as an extended diploma. I'm not trying to trick anyone. I genuinely believe that's what I've got. I even got a reference on UCAS from my ICT BTEC teacher from college and she says in the reference that I achieved a BTEC Extended Diploma. The only bit that's confusing me is that on my qualification certificate it just says 1 result. Where I think it should say 3. The qualification you're talking about is only like 18 UCAS points... I know for a fact I don't have that one. Anyway I've applied already and it's all be sent off. I just told them I've got a Distinction and not a DDD... There's a little textbox next to the grades section and I just inputted Distinction. So I haven't lied about my grade.
Thanks for your help!
A Distinction at Subsidiary Diploma is worth 48 tariff points - it's equivalent to an A level.

An Extended diploma is worth 3 A levels not 2 - A BTEC Diploma would be worth 2 A levels but would have 2 grades as a result (DD or DM or similar).

If you've claimed to have an extended diploma then you're going to be asked to prove that - which will mean showing your certificate which says something different. It sounds like you did the Diploma but only have the certificate from the subsidiary diploma (sometimes colleges give those out after 1 year of a 2 year course)...either way you need to get back in touch with your college about getting certificates for the qualifications you're claiming to have otherwise your application will be fraudulent and subject to cancellation at any time.
zn1
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
A Distinction at Subsidiary Diploma is worth 48 tariff points - it's equivalent to an A level.

An Extended diploma is worth 3 A levels not 2 - A BTEC Diploma would be worth 2 A levels but would have 2 grades as a result (DD or DM or similar).

If you've claimed to have an extended diploma then you're going to be asked to prove that - which will mean showing your certificate which says something different. It sounds like you did the Diploma but only have the certificate from the subsidiary diploma (sometimes colleges give those out after 1 year of a 2 year course)...either way you need to get back in touch with your college about getting certificates for the qualifications you're claiming to have otherwise your application will be fraudulent and subject to cancellation at any time.
Ye you were right. It's all resolved now. I've contacted UCAS and they've amended the error. Thanks for your help. I just hope this doesn't impact the Uni's impression on my application... :/
PQ
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zn1)
Ye you were right. It's all resolved now. I've contacted UCAS and they've amended the error. Thanks for your help. I just hope this doesn't impact the Uni's impression on my application... :/
Don't worry - staff at universities are well aware that colleges are rubbish at giving applicants information about their BTEC courses - that's why often you'll be asked for certificates because it's a common mistake to put the wrong course on the UCAS form.
grey tings k
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
yo bro, im doing the same course as you. In my second year now, off to uni in sept. Are you doing a job in IT ?
grey tings k
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zn1)

Any help would be great. Cheers guys
yo bro, im doing the same course as you, starting uni in sept. Have you gotten a job in IT after doing this course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads