The Student Room Group

C1 2017

What is the hardest topic in C1?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the person (and exam board), but for AQA, my hardest two topics at the time were circles and integration. Circles because they can ask you some horrid questions, and integration because with the harder examples you need to spot certain shapes e.g trapezium which can be easy to mess up if the numbers are awkward.
Original post by user.h

What is in C1 depends on which examiner you are taking

There's nothing really hard in C1 but my observation for Edexcel is that many candidates lose marks with:
when and how to use the discriminant,
When and how to use completing the square
Recurrence relationships
Using simultaneous equation techniques to solve arithmetic series problems
Solving algebraic arithmetic series problems
Negative and fractional indices
Sketching, applying transformations and solving problems with graphs of n/x

For Edexcel you'll get a good idea of what candidates usually find hard by looking at their GOLD practice papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies, OCR is my board.
Reply 4
Will the papers be as hard as any of the solomon papers?
Original post by user.h

In Edexcel, I would say, for me, circle geometry
Original post by user.h
Will the papers be as hard as any of the solomon papers?

Solomon papers really are not that hard, they are mostly just a bit different from the real papers that examiners have set so questions are unfamiliar and appear harder. They can be helpful for developing the skills for tackling a topic you know well that is being tested in an unfamiliar way.
I have no idea how hard the paper will be, the only people who know are the ones who wrote it πŸ˜€

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
In Edexcel, I would say, for me, circle geometry

Pretty sure that's in C2, but I agree that especially when an understanding of simple circle theorems is required (e.g. That a tangent is perpendicular to the radius) lots of people struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Pretty sure that's in C2

Posted from TSR Mobile

and C1
and C1

for Edexcel, There is some coordinate geometry in C1, gradient of a line/normal and equation of a line/normal.
Equation of a circle, length and midpoint of a line first appear in C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
for Edexcel, There is some coordinate geometry in C1, gradient of a line/normal and equation of a line/normal.
Equation of a circle, length and midpoint of a line first appear in C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wtf are circles in my C1 textbook then?
wtf are circles in my C1 textbook then?

What text book are you using?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What text book are you using?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the C1 Edexcel book, duh!
the C1 Edexcel book, duh!

Then I guess you are refering to solving simultaneous linear/quadratic equations that can include circle equations.
Then I guess you are refering to solving simultaneous linear/quadratic equations that can include circle equations.

nah.
The Heinemann modular mathematics C1 book
nah.
The Heinemann modular mathematics C1 book

My copy has one circle in the whole book on page 31, but whatever.
My copy has one circle in the whole book on page 31, but whatever.

which book are you using?
which book are you using?

Don't want to take this thread off topic so I'll end the discussion and just agree to disagree, but this is the book I'm looking at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Maths-ebook/dp/B01N9FQOAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1494839854&sr=1-1&keywords=c1+edexcel+maths+textbook
Don't want to take this thread off topic so I'll end the discussion and just agree to disagree, but this is the book I'm looking at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Maths-ebook/dp/B01N9FQOAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1494839854&sr=1-1&keywords=c1+edexcel+maths+textbook

how the hell?
I use that book as well as the one I mentioned earlier, but the one I mentioned has circles?
I agree to disagree

Quick Reply