Is Sociology "mickey mouse"? Watch

tymbnuip
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Because that was the explanation given to my brother (who's in Year 12) as to why it's not offered at AS/A2 in the Sixth Form (where they also offer A-level ICT :rolleyes:) I assume as an academic discipline its no different in terms of respectability to Psychology, so is it just the A-level that's seemingly not well regarded? Or are they talking *******s?
Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Talking bull****.
randomreg
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sounds a bit like an excuse to be honest.

However, I did read a few days ago (can't remember where, I'm afraid) that Sociologists are unable to do quite as much serious work as they had in the past. This is mainly because automated and in-house devices are doing the work in their place. That includes things like supermarket loyalty schemes, discount cards, and anything that logs what you're doing, such as Oyster cards. But even mobile phones can log and track things to an extent, and so much online usage is now logged and analysed.

Nevertheless, I don't agree that Sociology can be called 'mickey mouse'. What a rubbish reason to give. How was such a major decision made on such a weak excuse? Surely there must be more behind the scenes than that!?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tymbnuip)
Because that was the explanation given to my brother (who's in Year 12) as to why it's not offered at AS/A2 in the Sixth Form (where they also offer A-level ICT :rolleyes:) I assume as an academic discipline its no different in terms of respectability to Psychology, so is it just the A-level that's seemingly not well regarded? Or are they talking *******s?
Our school don't offer Psychology or Sociology either, but they offer Ancient History and Communication Studies.
I think it just depends on the teachers they can find.
The West Wing
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Our school don't offer Psychology or Sociology either, but they offer Ancient History and Communication Studies.
I think it just depends on the teachers they can find.
Ancient History/Classic Civilisation is considered one of the most rigorous disciplines actually, and to learn about the foundations of law/politics/social anthropology is extremely important for a number of degree courses!
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by miltonkeynes)
Ancient History/Classic Civilisation is considered one of the most rigorous disciplines actually, and to learn about the foundations of law/politics/social anthropology is extremely important for a number of degree courses!
OK. Replace that with Art and Design, Sports Studies, and Drama/Theatre Studies from next year then.
ChrisTheRockGod
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah, it does seem to have certain.. er.. negative connotations academically speaking

and why is it that the majority of students who take it are female? There are only 2 guys in my A2 class, including me. I love it, I think its truly, honestly fascinating.
prettyblueeyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't see it as a mickey mouse subject - it has much more of an academic founding than something like General studies or media studies, and requires a broad understanding of different theories/approaches as well as strong analytical skills, similar to those which are used in history and english literature. I study these three and media studies, and sociology is definitely more comparable to history and english in terms of the workload, the type of work and the aptitude required to do well. Media Studies on the other hand, as much as I enjoy it at times, isn't being too harshly judged when it's called a mickey mouse subject -there is so much of the content that simply demands a fair understanding of very contextual issues and contemporary texts, and much less rigorous essay-writing abilities than any other subject, and it's approach is vastly different to that of sociology (in my college at least), so I don't think it's fair to put them in the same bracket at all. I've lost count of the amount of essays in media that are based on the programme Skins, Big Brother etc because they don't require too much effort and can be so easily moulded in to a fair grade. You don't have that sort of leeway or easy option in something like sociology - you can't pick theories or texts which you're particularly familiar with or that are easier and it is much more strictly marked. Sociology in terms of skills needed ties in much more closely with history, and to an extent psychology, neither or which I feel should be considered mickey mouse subjects (a term that I hate anyway).
Keiraaa
Report 11 years ago
this really winds me up!!! I wish science and technology would stop claiming to hold the monopoly over it!! - brief example of sociology sticking up for itself :P
The West Wing
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Keiraaa)
this really winds me up!!! I wish science and technology would stop claiming to hold the monopoly over it!! - brief example of sociology sticking up for itself :P
Yay

Scientists love to claim that their subjects are "academic" or "hard", but it's just subject elitism. Sociology is sexy :cool:
Keiraaa
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The West Wing)
Yay

Scientists love to claim that their subjects are "academic" or "hard", but it's just subject elitism. Sociology is sexy :cool:
hell yes! It makes you look at the world from all points of view not see everything in numbers and letters ...don't you agree?
drumgold
Report 11 years ago
sociology is just as important, or possibly even more so than psychology. I take sociology and media, and i much prefer sociology, it's fascinating. i would call media a "mickey mouse" subject, i really don't enjoy it at all. but sociology can help us to understand how our society is formed by our behaviour and how our behaviour also forms society. which is basically telling us how we made the world.
love_mojitos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can not belive your teacher told you that, what an idiot!
I would say it is easier to get a better grade in Sociology/psychology, maybe due to books and teachers, maybe because can releate it to life as well.
However I am a Sociology undergraduate and hate it when people think my degree is worthless yet psychology is better, idiots.
However Communication/Media/Film studies etc, where will that get you.
Newtonian
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It Is A Donald Duck Subject
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Sociology is a discipline at the centre of attempts to understand the human condition and human relations in the context of (usually but not exclusively contemporary) societies. The breadth and depth of work in sociology is formidable, and it has made major impact on other disciplines - not least of which are history and anthropology (with which it has well established reciprocal relationships).
anelka9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
sociology is a breath of fresh air
Explosions In The Sky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
However I am a Sociology undergraduate and hate it when people think my degree is worthless yet psychology is better, idiots.
You hate it when other people devalue your subject yet you've just done the same thing. Right...
love_mojitos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah true, but what can they do?
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
I can not belive your teacher told you that, what an idiot!
I would say it is easier to get a better grade in Sociology/psychology, maybe due to books and teachers, maybe because can releate it to life as well.
what a hypocrite.
love_mojitos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well it is ignorance. I know what I can do with a Sociology degree but with another degree I am clueless. What I am trying to say is, your teacher/school do not know what Sociology/Psychology essay writing, analytical etc involves. Film/Media seems to be very competitve and can pigeon hole?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (8)
5.26%
No (144)
94.74%

Watched Threads