The Student Room Group

Questions on taking a-levels abroad

Hi. I’m most likely going to Chengdu, China this summer to work for a year or two. I’ll likely be contracted to work between 25 to 30 hours per week. I would really like to re-take my A-levels, as a mature student, while I’m out there. I’ve been looking into the distance learning providers, and it seems the quality of learning materials and tutoring varies a lot. I know NEC is quite highly regarded, but they are also extremely expensive relative to the competition. I’d be looking to take Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I have a few questions, as re-taking A-levels, as a working mature adult, is not as straightforward as I’d thought.

I haven’t studied for 8-9 years, so I’m thinking it would be a bad idea to save money and self study. I was a very capable student 8-9 years ago, but I struggled with anxiety and stopped attending college. Would I better off paying a learning provider for the tutoring?

I’m also really struggling to find clear information on which courses require practical exams, and whether they can be taken in China. I’ve contacted the British council and a few colleges in Chengdu, and I’m still researching this. Any advice would be awesome though. If I can only do one or two in Chengdu, I will fast track them, and fast track the other two when I get back.
Original post by nys
Hi. I’m most likely going to Chengdu, China this summer to work for a year or two. I’ll likely be contracted to work between 25 to 30 hours per week. I would really like to re-take my A-levels, as a mature student, while I’m out there. I’ve been looking into the distance learning providers, and it seems the quality of learning materials and tutoring varies a lot. I know NEC is quite highly regarded, but they are also extremely expensive relative to the competition. I’d be looking to take Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I have a few questions, as re-taking A-levels, as a working mature adult, is not as straightforward as I’d thought.

I haven’t studied for 8-9 years, so I’m thinking it would be a bad idea to save money and self study. I was a very capable student 8-9 years ago, but I struggled with anxiety and stopped attending college. Would I better off paying a learning provider for the tutoring?

I’m also really struggling to find clear information on which courses require practical exams, and whether they can be taken in China. I’ve contacted the British council and a few colleges in Chengdu, and I’m still researching this. Any advice would be awesome though. If I can only do one or two in Chengdu, I will fast track them, and fast track the other two when I get back.

I think taking take four A levels whilst working 25+ hours a week is going to be too much, and living in (and getting used to) a foreign country will make it even harder. What is your end goal, to go to university, or do you just want A levels on your CV?

Learning providers don't really provide tutoring, all they do is mark your work and answer questions about the course (usually via email). You might do better hiring a private tutor, in China it might not cost as much as it does in the UK. Self-studying with 3 or 4 hours of tutor support peer weeks is, IMO, better than paying a distance learning provider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending