Entering into A - levels

Watch this thread
Sxlidus
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi i have been out of college for 2 years but now i have been accepted on to a 3 year college course which at the end of it i will receive an a-level in physics and maths. since ive been out of education for a while and my GCSE grades werent very good has anyone got any advice such as what i should being revising now, in preparation for my courses. any advice at all is much appreciated.
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
a good place to start is to find out the exam boards for your courses, get the associated recommended textbook and start reading it. see what you can figure out on your own. also there's the internet which could have resources appropriate to your exam board. and of course, you have access to the wonders of google.
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Honestly, a fair chunk A Level Physics can be self-taught as it's mostly equations and a "GCSE on Steroids" (E Rintoul)
Try to get a kick start on Core 1 as well
Find out your exam boards, but you shall be fine so don't try to worry too much.
Sxlidus
Rep:
(Original post by Bulletzone)
Honestly, a fair chunk A Level Physics can be self-taught as it's mostly equations and a "GCSE on Steroids" (E Rintoul)
Try to get a kick start on Core 1 as well
Find out your exam boards, but you shall be fine so don't try to worry too much.
Will i struggle early on because my GCSE were bad? i was staying up till 2am, not revising for them. will my lack of knowledge mean ill struggle or will i be taught everything i need to know early?
Bulletzone
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sxlidus)
Will i struggle early on because my GCSE were bad? i was staying up till 2am, not revising for them. will my lack of knowledge mean ill struggle or will i be taught everything i need to know early?
Well, If you have a decent teacher who doesn't have the mindset that you're a further maths class, then he shall treat each topic like it's new to everyone (which is what happened for us). This is good as if there's any gaps in GCSE knowledge, you're maths department should arrange for those gaps to be filled before you start getting into Core 2.
Sxlidus
Rep:
Well, If you have a decent teacher who doesn't have the mindset that you're a further maths class, then he shall treat each topic like it's new to everyone (which is what happened for us). This is good as if there's any gaps in GCSE knowledge, you're maths department should arrange for those gaps to be filled before you start getting into Core 2.
So core 1 is mostly a recap of GCSE?
Bulletzone
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
So core 1 is mostly a recap of GCSE?
Yeah, with some extra toppings but it isn't all that bad.

I'm basing this off facts and sort of opinions of others. Many of my peers stated the jump from GCSE to CORE 1 is manageable provided you were able to get a C (It's a bit sketchy but we do have someone with a C in our maths class who's getting B's in tests) or higher in GCSE maths.
Sxlidus
Rep:
Yeah, with some extra toppings but it isn't all that bad.

I'm basing this off facts and sort of opinions of others. Many of my peers stated the jump from GCSE to CORE 1 is manageable provided you were able to get a C (It's a bit sketchy but we do have someone with a C in our maths class who's getting B's in tests) or higher in GCSE maths.
i was 2 marks off a B in my GCSE and like i said that with no revision and a pretty poor lifestyle however ive been out of education for 2 years so im not sure
Bulletzone
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
i was 2 marks off a B in my GCSE and like i said that with no revision and a pretty poor lifestyle however ive been out of education for 2 years so im not sure
You'll be fine. I can assure you that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (143)
66.51%
No (47)
21.86%
I didn't use it to prepare (25)
11.63%

Watched Threads