Lau1503
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am doing BTEC L3 Applied Sciences, next year I will do the extended diploma. However there is no need to study, since I have a great dilemma.

I would like to study something related to health, like medicine but with my notes in London that is complicated. I would not like to make anything or anything that has much chemistry. I also want a career that can exercise globally and that has good economic output
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Bio)chemistry underpins most of modern medical science so...you're somewhat limited in that regard.

There are the NHS biomedical scientist schemes, which are less molecular medicine based overall (although it depends somewhat on which pathway you go down). Paramedic science/profession similarly is somewhat less chemistry based, as is nursing to a lesser degree. There are of course in addition many allied health professions such as nutrition & dietetics, physiotherapy, radiography etc which tend to vary somewhat (the latter two certainly would have much less chemistry). Pharmaceutical sciences and pharmacology offers a lot of opportunity for international working, but is necessarily very chemically oriented. Pharmacy, similarly, requires a good background in chemistry and also is limited jurisdictionally to the UK generally.

Medicine itself will require a good background in, and aptitude for, chemistry; even if you eventually ended up in a specialty which doesn't really make any use of it, you need the contextual knowledge for your clinical decision making (i.e. psychiatrists for prescribing medicines for their patients, surgeons understanding the how the anaesthetics are going to affect the upcoming surgery and medicines for post-operative treatment, radiologists have to have at least a basic understanding of the more physical chemistry aspects as it relates to imaging). Besides that, you'll also be drowning in biochemistry in the earlier parts of the medicine degree itself anyway.

Also as far as money matters, outside of medicine proper and some areas of pharmaceutical industry, practice based healthcare tends to be averagely remunerated due to the Tories trying to kill the NHS; however the allied health professions do, in general, attract a less competitive salary elsewhere as well.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
TraineeBMS might be able to advise more on the biomedical scientist thing as I believe they're actually on that scheme now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed