Making friends in second year

Watch
Amy_VickyR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So, I haven't really had the best start to uni. First year's almost over and the only friend I have is the one I came to uni with.

We moved from our first house because we didn't get along with our housemates, moved course because it wasn't what we wanted to do and haven't really connected with anyone on the new course either.

We're in housing halls (housing village next to main halls) in a six bedroom house on our own, so we're going to be put with new people next year (probably second years), but I'm really nervous now about having housemates and making new friends. Is it easy to make friends in second year? Surely everyone has now already got their own groups and stuff? What if they don't work out and are like our first housemates?

I don't really know the area I'm in either (the campus is a lot nicer and friendlier than the surrounding areas) so I don't know the best places to hang out and meet people.

I want uni to be fun and an enjoyable three years, rather than the place that always feels like work and only have my home as a fun break for when I go back.

Any advice?
Thanks
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amy_VickyR)
So, I haven't really had the best start to uni. First year's almost over and the only friend I have is the one I came to uni with.

We moved from our first house because we didn't get along with our housemates, moved course because it wasn't what we wanted to do and haven't really connected with anyone on the new course either.

We're in housing halls (housing village next to main halls) in a six bedroom house on our own, so we're going to be put with new people next year (probably second years), but I'm really nervous now about having housemates and making new friends. Is it easy to make friends in second year? Surely everyone has now already got their own groups and stuff? What if they don't work out and are like our first housemates?

I don't really know the area I'm in either (the campus is a lot nicer and friendlier than the surrounding areas) so I don't know the best places to hang out and meet people.

I want uni to be fun and an enjoyable three years, rather than the place that always feels like work and only have my home as a fun break for when I go back.

Any advice?
Thanks
Are you in to any sports? You could join a sports team, they are very social and you can keep fit at the same time. Alternatively, your uni should have societies that you can join too, depending on the uni you're at, there will be so many from various themes that you can choose from. I found my best friends in my final year from societies, you meet people from other courses and have socials together, it's a great way to find new people and make friends.
Amy_VickyR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Are you in to any sports? You could join a sports team, they are very social and you can keep fit at the same time. Alternatively, your uni should have societies that you can join too, depending on the uni you're at, there will be so many from various themes that you can choose from. I found my best friends in my final year from societies, you meet people from other courses and have socials together, it's a great way to find new people and make friends.
I'm not overly a sporty person, but I am thinking about joining kayaking, but I have some anxiety issues that I'm yet to overcome...
Thanks for this though!
velvetsky
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amy_VickyR)

Any advice?
Thanks
Basically what the other poster said, be open, join societies & get to know people. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there.
Just finished 3rd year and made more friends in 3rd than 2nd year, and more in 2nd year than 1st on my course. I know people say that in 2nd & 3rd year friendships have established & people aren't open to making new friends. In my experience it has been the complete opposite. Is it easier to make friends in 2nd year? I'd say it depends. I found that people were a lot friendlier & integrated more in 2nd yr whereas in 1st yr everyone stuck to their own little groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20%
I'm not sure (2)
2.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.06%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.53%
I'm not a current university student (40)
47.06%

Watched Threads