Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I can't fit my all my stuff in one suitcase!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I've started packing my stuff for Uni.

And, I've only packed a quarter of my clothes and it's already filled up a medium sized suitcase (mum is being a pain and is saying that the big suitcase won't fit in the boot) :mad: ! My shoes, books, towels etc. haven't even gone in yet! :eek:

Anyone else having this problem?! :confused:

If you're a student living away from home, how much stuff did you bring on your first trip to the University!

What else should I bring? Please remind me!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you restricting yourself to one suitcase? I plan to have box loads of my stuff!

And why are you packing so early?!?!

ReputationRep:
    woah really?! how are you planning to get it all home when xmas comes?! my mum might not come and collect me so i'll be getting on the train...and carrying all that stuff!!!! :confused:

I just decided to pack some of my stuff and proove to my mum that there is NO WAY that I'd fit all my stuff in there! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    woah really?! how are you planning to get it all home when xmas comes?! my mum might not come and collect me so i'll be getting on the train...and carrying all that stuff!!!! :confused:

I just decided to pack some of my stuff and proove to my mum that there is NO WAY that I'd fit all my stuff in there! :cool:
    I'm moving to my university town for good and i'm not coming back to live, just for visits.

A suitcase?

Try a removal van!!

ReputationRep:
    lol! i see, what about those who are just moving into halls and will have to clear their stuff when the holidays come? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hehehe well im gonna force my dad to come and get my stuff for the hols.

And some places have storage rooms so u dont have to bring it ALL back

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have exactly the same predicament!
    I'm from essex goin to Exeter (4hour drive each way) so my dad refuses point blank to drive me to uni. So I have to get to London Paddington, n then on a train... that's all okay as Im quite independent, but there is no way I am gonna be able to bring enough stuff - especially for the winter months, where each jumper is a good 2 inches thick! AGHHHHHHH (Also, the hills in exeter are fairly ridiculus n there is no way I'll be able to pull 3 suitcases up them by myself!)

In the halls u have to empty everything out over the holidays, so I'm lookin into storage places at the mo.. I mean, there's no point me draggin a duvet n a cd player home n back again is there? i DOnt know how realistic this is tho, ne idea what they cost?

Also, I'm worried about things being stolen on the train - if I leave 3 huge suitcases in the luggage compartment, it would be sooooooo easy for a third of my stuff to wander off the train...hmmmmmm

DADDY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DRIVE ME TO EXETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of parcel post?

Get your mum to post you your jumpers once you are there.

I wouldn't worry about someone pinching your suitcase, it's not worth the hassle for what will probably turn out to be clothes. A theif would much rather take a wallet or hand bag. Easy and almost guaranteed to get cash.

ReputationRep:
    lol! i see, what about those who are just moving into halls and will have to clear their stuff when the holidays come? :confused:
    I got fetched each term No way I could have carried all my stuff - it filled the backseat of the car and the boot! :eek: One of my very brave friends gets the train from Cambridge to Edinburgh each term and I don't know how he does it, but his room is very sparse compared with mine and he's always having to scrounge stuff.

Generally I take: 1 large bag full of clothes
    1 smaller bag containing shoes, labcoats, coat, gown, hangers.
    Two/three plastic crates with academic books/files and oddments from my desk.
    A computer + TFT monitor
    One plastic box of kitchen equipment and rations
    One plastic box of bathroom stuff/bedding/make up etc
    A pinboard
    A sombrero.

ReputationRep:
    only 4 hours away ins't bad....mine is 8 hours away i think!!

From Scotland down to Conventry!!! My mum's driving me. Is it best to shove stuff in cardboard boxes?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't have survived with one suitcase, the car was totally. I also guarentee you tha you'll have double the mmount of stuff by the end of the year. We ended up staggering the journey back (but i was going homefor a week anyway ebfore term ended otherwise i might not ahve been so luckey)

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I've started packing my stuff for Uni.

And, I've only packed a quarter of my clothes and it's already filled up a medium sized suitcase (mum is being a pain and is saying that the big suitcase won't fit in the boot) :mad: ! My shoes, books, towels etc. haven't even gone in yet! :eek:

Anyone else having this problem?! :confused:

If you're a student living away from home, how much stuff did you bring on your first trip to the University!

What else should I bring? Please remind me!
    Lol, what's wrong? You got enough arms to carry two suitcases....

ReputationRep:
    I packed my clothes in a suitcase and piled all the rest of my stuff into the car in boxes....i really couldn't have taken everything myselfon the train but saying that lots of the stuff i had wasn't totally necessary but made my room look much nicer and feel more homely. One tip to remember is to not put all the heavy stuff in one box just cos it fits...i learnt from experience that this just results in v sore arms and you dropping everything half way to your room - its much less effort to make a few extra trips to and from the car!
    Hehe its funny student spooting on the motrway as well...i saw car after car filled with stuff with students head peeping out the top and a trusty parent looking person at the wheel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    Hehe its funny student spooting on the motrway as well...i saw car after car filled with stuff with students head peeping out the top and a trusty parent looking person at the wheel!
    hehehehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    i wouldn't have survived with one suitcase, the car was totally. I also guarentee you tha you'll have double the mmount of stuff by the end of the year. We ended up staggering the journey back (but i was going homefor a week anyway ebfore term ended otherwise i might not ahve been so luckey)
    twice the stuff? how can that actually be possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I got fetched each term No way I could have carried all my stuff - it filled the backseat of the car and the boot! :eek: One of my very brave friends gets the train from Cambridge to Edinburgh each term and I don't know how he does it, but his room is very sparse compared with mine and he's always having to scrounge stuff.
    I'm the same.. if worse - for my first trip of the year we borrow Uncle's people carrier - so all back of the car collapsed & boot & perhaps topbox. The my parents visit in 2nd week or so with any other "essentials".. then take a few things home in 7th week or so..ahem.

Thinking what i take..

- 2 suitcases of clothes
    - 1 suitcase of furnishing type things & toiletries (CDs, cushions, throws, candles, photos..)
    - bag of shoes
    - box of cutlery & kitchen stuff
    - box of academic-y stuff = folders, stationary
    - PC & printer/scanner/copier

then dry cleaning bags for ball dresses / long winter coats

but..this year i may be slightly more streamlined - knowing that i usually wear my favourite clothes over & over. though i now have a whole sitting room to furnish as well, yay!

ReputationRep:
    sigh, i'm wondering how i'm going to fit all my stuff in the car. my parents are laughing saying they're glad me and my twin decided to go to seperate unis cos they'd have had to make 2 trips anyway! i'm really struggling with the shoes... and things like dresses, i'll realistically only wear a posh dress maybe once a term, but how will i know which one to wear (depends on things like weight at the time and temperature), so i'll end up taking like 4

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Coincidentally, my parents have just bought a van thing...it's a 5 seater, but with tons of room for luggage. I can now take everything I own! Which is good because my parents are moving oop north next month, and don't want to have to take any of my extras with them. Pfft, it's tough being a girl. Really, I need one of those vans just for my shoes....

ReputationRep:
    Its too early to begin packing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Its too early to begin packing.

not if you're going on the 10th of september and go on holiday until 2 days before (so basically no time to shop and stuff when you get back) so have to do it all this week

lou xxx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.