Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I cannot surely be the only person here who finds this new phenominum, 'txt spk', both highly confusing and irritating. Has society really degressed to such levels where individuals must resort to lazily subsituting 'you' with 'u' and 'to' with '2'? Or have I missed something? Is this merely the next stage in the evolution of the English language, in which the bone-idle teenagers of 21st Century Britain mangle and maim our language beyond any reasonable comprehension? Why must you risk the destruction of our beautiful language in favour of something so horribly ugly?

Those of you who must use this ugly and God-forsaken form of speech must understand that as an educated human being I have to attend school every day. This, therefore, precludes me from 'keeping it real' and as such, I lack a certain familiarity with the langauge of your youth movement, as it were.

So please, learn how to type in English, yes?

ReputationRep:
    If you're only allowed 160 characters (including spaces) then condensing words is totally acceptable. If its peak time (which makes calling someone too expensive) and you need to tell someone something then its simple to write:

"hey m8 wat u up2 2nite?Wnt 2go dwn h2os?Txtbak"

Especially if you are using your 'phone's keypad.

John

ReputationRep:
    Txt speak is fine if its being used for exactly that text messaging. Its cheaper and quicker to use shortened words. However, i do agree that it should be kept for that purspose alone. There's no need to post on this forum or write in txt speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Plank)
    "hey m8 wat u up2 2nite?Wnt 2go dwn h2os?Txtbak"
    LOL. I down far too many h2os.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I cannot surely be the only person here who finds this new phenominum, 'txt spk', both highly confusing and irritating. Has society really degressed to such levels where individuals must resort to lazily subsituting 'you' with 'u' and 'to' with '2'? Or have I missed something? Is this merely the next stage in the evolution of the English language, in which the bone-idle teenagers of 21st Century Britain mangle and maim our language beyond any reasonable comprehension? Why must you risk the destruction of our beatutiful language in favour of something so horribly ugly?

Those of you who must use this ugly and God-forsaken form of speech must understand that as an educated human being I have to attend school every day. This, therefore, precludes me from 'keeping it real' and as such, I lack a certain familiarity with the langauge of your youth movement, as it were.

itz a free world we can talk how we want...u hav no rite to tel us not to do it...its totally down to us. and m8 if u got a prob wid dat den dats tough ****!
    besides were talking to our m8z not da bloody queen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I cannot surely be the only person here who finds this new phenominum, 'txt spk', both highly confusing and irritating. Has society really degressed to such levels where individuals must resort to lazily subsituting 'you' with 'u' and 'to' with '2'? Or have I missed something? Is this merely the next stage in the evolution of the English language, in which the bone-idle teenagers of 21st Century Britain mangle and maim our language beyond any reasonable comprehension? Why must you risk the destruction of our beatutiful language in favour of something so horribly ugly?

your a bit up yourself like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cool Dude)
    itz a free world we can talk how we want...u hav no rite to tel us not to do it...its totally down to us.
    If its a free world surely he's got the right to tell you what to do, and you have got the right to ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rich the last time I went to h2o's it was a nightclub chain in bishop's stortford- not a drink!

John

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rich the last time I went to h2o's it was a nightclub chain in bishop's stortford- not a drink!

John
    i don't even know a drink called h20 (apart from water of course). I know one called j20. its a various of flavours, like a soft drink.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

I agree wholeheartedly!! Hear hear!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cool Dude)
    itz a free world we can talk how we want...u hav no rite to tel us not to do it...its totally down to us. and m8 if u got a prob wid dat den dats tough ****!
    besides were talking to our m8z not da bloody queen!
    Oh please, do not make me laugh. It is not a free world at all! If it were, then you could do exactly as you pleased without fear of the reprecussions.

--

I was talking about using 'txt spk' on Computers; on mobile phones it does have a purpose.

ReputationRep:

John
    LOL sorry, I don't go to many nightclubs!

(Original post by Tek)

You are definitely missing something, in fact you have completely missed the whole point of this "new phenominum" as you so call it. Firstly, uh, "phenominum"? Did you just coin that word?

You are totally being prescriptivist and obnoxious towards language change and this new variety of English, netspeak. It is perfectly acceptable and appropriate under certain informal circumstances, for instance chatrooms and forums on the Internet. Efficiency is an obvious advantage, without having to spend as much time typing out full words by omitting vowels and using substitution with numbers and letters. In fact, students who take notes have also adapted such a method of writing to save time and has traditionally existed for a very long time and is still in use today.

Consequently, due to informality, users of netspeak would not be required to abide by the strict formalities of formal writing and correctness in this context. Writing using netspeak does not necessarily imply a low ability in writing; it is instead a way of adaptation to chatting etiquette in our current new age society with the advancement of technology causing such changes in language - Internet usage and cell phone texting. This is up to one's personal preference whether to use netspeak or not.

Language changes all the time, it evolves whether you like it or not. It will continue to develop to meet the current changes in the society's needs. If an English speaking person from 500 years ago were to read your post, s/he would certainly think that your English is terrible and would equally label you a destroyer of the English language, as the language was very different back then.

So please, learn to accept language change, yes?

ReputationRep:
    Well said Tek! What you said up there was exactly how I think. I am so peeved off with text speak and I really don't understand why some people use it. True, it's ok to use on mobile when you're in a rush, but a message board? Pah! And how many seconds would it save to make a post look presentable?

Cool Dude - you're right, it is a free world, but why do you use text language to communicate on the internet? When it comes to typing up essays later on, it'll do you no favours as you'll be used text-type.

ReputationRep:
    But surely communication at ease is of greater importance than the "tradition" of punctuation and grammar. I accept that it is confusing for those who are not familiar with "txt speak"; but for someone who is not familiar with german would find that language very difficult to interpret.

To be honest "you" being replaced with "u" isn't exactly harmful since we can all understand that. It is simply an easier way to communicate a lot more in a short amount of space in a short amount of time; surely language needs to evolve in accordance with society. Sticking to the tradition of grammar is similar to an accountant using an abacus to calculate average revenue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Well said Tek! What you said up there was exactly how I think. I am so peeved off with text speak and I really don't understand why some people use it. True, it's ok to use on mobile when you're in a rush, but a message board? Pah! And how many seconds would it save to make a post look presentable?

Cool Dude - you're right, it is a free world, but why do you use text language to communicate on the internet? When it comes to typing up essays later on, it'll do you no favours as you'll be used text-type.

no m8 - if u have half a brain u wont make mistakes like txt talk in an essay!
    if u do make mistakes like dat den it jus meanz dat u aint concentrating! So u mite aswel do da essay lata on anyway When u can giv it ur full attention!

ReputationRep:
    You are definitely missing something, in fact you have completely missed the whole point of this "new phenominum" as you so call it.
    That should be 'something;': your use of a comma there is grammatically incorrect.

Do you, Vin, ever type emails in CAPITALS? I sincerely doubt it because it would be very hard and tiresome for the recipient to read. The same is true of 'txt spk'.

Furthermore, the concept of this 'language change' is based entirely on artificial factors: the advent of computers and mobile telephones, for example. Surely a language change should occur naturally, over time, rather than synthetically?

You claim that users of 'netspeak' (how rude of you to try to differ from my original term under the conditions of my thread) are not bound by the traditional rules governing languages: how then do we control the evolution of our language? If we did not impose rules of grammar then our language would surely evolve so fast as to hinder the comprehension of it: thus eliminating its raison d'e^tre.

You also say that 'txt spk' is fine under 'certain informal circumstances' but then go on to rudely inform me that I have to 'accept language change' across periods of time. Why is this global language change limited to 'certain informal circumstances'? Are you just confused yourself? Can you structure a coherent argument?

If you want to change language to 'txt spk' then that is your problem. If you want to ruin the beauty of our language for the sake of 'ease-of'-typing' then be my guest. I personally think that it is a crying shame.

But surely communication at ease is of greater importance than the "tradition" of punctuation and grammar. I accept that it is confusing for those who are not familiar with "txt speak"; but for someone who is not familiar with german would find that language very difficult to interpret.

To be honest "you" being replaced with "u" isn't exactly harmful since we can all understand that. It is simply an easier way to communicate a lot more in a short amount of space in a short amount of time; surely language needs to evolve in accordance with society. Sticking to the tradition of grammar is similar to an accountant using an abacus to calculate average revenue!
    Communication in English is easier when exchanged under formal grammatical conditions as Standard English is more widely understood then 'txt spk'.
    Replacing 'you' with 'u' is a deliberate and ugly mangling of the English language, and if you read my first post, you would have discovered that that was exactly the point I made.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with tek and pencil it is really annoying, and unnessecary on the computer, I think it can make you seem imature to write in txt spk.

When it comes to phone text messaging, I find it far easier and quicker to write using nokia predictive text than to abbreviate anway.

ReputationRep:
    My point is not that language should change universally; more that it should be adaptable to certain circumstances. Obviously language requires rules understandable to the greater majority hence the formation of grammar, but surely this should not prevent others from adapting and forming it to suit an incident. Condensing of language has occurred throughout history for some time now; imagine a boy's friend has been run over by a car and is dying, does he call the emergency services and say:

"Hello, I am sorry to bother you but my friend has just been immobilized by a vehicle (sorry wait one second while I check if my pronunciation is correct on that word). Could you arrive as soon as possible?"

No, it is likely to be something more like:

"Oh hi, quick my mate 'as just been knocked down by a car - help!"

In this rather extreme case tradition and application of grammar whether it be in written or spoken word is dismissed in order to communicate an important message as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Another example of "language condensing" is in slang terms; commonly used amongst youngsters not only to communicate but also to add creativity and experimentation within the language. Slang continues to replace traditional use of English and is rapidly becoming a language in itself; one that we must all learn to accept since it is used by even the most traditionalist amongst us.

Language has also been adapted and "disfigured" across the country; different regional areas communicate with different forms of slang and spoken word. Seemingly the truth is that we have a basic premise that is the English Language, but as society moves on the rules and regulations behind this language are becoming increasingly dismissed and replaced. By abiding to an omnipresent language we become almost robotic, and since humans are individuals it is surely acceptable that over time the rules will be broken and adapted to suit the time and place.

Traditionalists have come to accept an "official" condensing of the phrases, "you are" (you're), "you have" (you've) and "I am" (I'm) amongst many more. Surely this is an example of condensing language in order to suit time and place, and surely we should come to accept the phrase "u" just as we have the above phrases.

Language has been adapted to suit time and place, whether it be the "car accident" I mentioned above, or the various regional evolutions of the English Language. I have certainly come to accept that "txt tlk" is readily becoming yet another example of language being adapted to suit a scenario - the internet. I do however believe that it should remain there.

ReputationRep:
    But I do agree that it is confusing and perhaps even irritating; no way would I read a book written in "txt tlk" - but I also find some regional accents annoying, yet accept them as a form of communication to suit time and place. The time for "txt tlk" being when a short statement needs to be communicated and the place for it being the Internet - I do not wish to see such an ugly language expand beyond this.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.