The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology PAPER 1- 15th MAY 2017 *Unofficial Mark Scheme*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sid The Kid
Yeh it's not hard either, it's just so boring that I can't remember it and normally fall asleep. :s-smilie:

Yeah I know what you mean!
Original post by Thelabtatpast
I don't think they will go over board with the boundaries as people got confused on lots of questions and made silly mistakes (especially 12 marker) so I reckon they will increase maximum 2 marks for each boundary so 47 C 52 B 57 A . It is only
the second year of the specification.

Yeah thats very true considering its only the 2 year of the spec!
Original post by FlumpyFlipper
Omg that's so cool! We do A Streetcar named desire too, plus the poems of the decade and Frankenstein and Never Let me Go

How did you find the English test today?

I talked about Stanley which I think it went really well, poetry was okay I did the Inheritance question compared to Genetics. Normally I love poetry, but I just wasnt feeling the question.
Hi, Thanks for this,

For the interference essay, i began with the study by McGhee and McDonald then messed up. I know the essay was based on interference only but I got mixed up, I wrote

'A type of retrieval failure is proactive interference this is ........ Another type of retrieval failure is retroactive interference .....'

Do you think the fact I mixed it up with retrieval failure and referred to it as this will loose me loads of points even if I did explain it correctly after?

thanks
For the interference question wrote what it meant ( proactive and retroactive) and outlined Schmits study to do with the street signs and wrote 4 evaluation points . How many marks will that get me guys?
Original post by CarefreeDreams
How did you find the English test today?

I talked about Stanley which I think it went really well, poetry was okay I did the Inheritance question compared to Genetics. Normally I love poetry, but I just wasnt feeling the question.

I talked about Stanley too! I talked about him in terms of vulnerability and masculinity and whilst it is difficult to sympathise with him, it is understandable in some ways why he behaves in the ways he does. I wasn't really feeling poetry today either- I did the identity question but I'm terrified bc I ran out of time and didn't get an awful lot in about structure :frown:
Original post by FlumpyFlipper
I talked about Stanley too! I talked about him in terms of vulnerability and masculinity and whilst it is difficult to sympathise with him, it is understandable in some ways why he behaves in the ways he does. I wasn't really feeling poetry today either- I did the identity question but I'm terrified bc I ran out of time and didn't get an awful lot in about structure :frown:

Yeah I think Drama went waaay better than poetry and I love poetry! For Drama I talked about Williams characterisation Stanley through animal imagery and violence. By compared to Mitch, makes the audience feel no sympathy towards him. The fact he has no redeemable qualities about him. Then I was like on the other hand, the audience may feel some sympathy towards him as Blanche has turned his world upside down.

I was originally going to do identity, but it was like my brain couldn't think. I was only able to do 2 paragraphs for the other one, although long I normally do at least 3. So I'm not sure how that went :frown:
For the interference question wrote what it meant ( proactive and retroactive) and outlined Schmits study to do with the street signs and wrote 4 evaluation points . How many marks will that get me guys?

If explained well it should get you anywhere between 10 to full marks. Especially if you explained the study well and evaluated accordingly!
If explained well it should get you anywhere between 10 to full marks. Especially if you explained the study well and evaluated accordingly!

I talked about the study being tested in artificial settings which lacks ecological validity and mundane realism and mentioned that this decreases the external validity of the results as the task is something people wouldn't do on a regular basis so could increase the likelihood of demand characteristics occurring which affect the results. However on the other hand the experiment did have internal validity as the variables of the experiment are being controlled which helps to keep the experiment fair (this is easily replicated)
Another evaluation point I talked about was the extraneous variables that could have affected the experiments results e.g people walking to school as a kid so more likely to remember street names . This could influence the data and findings of the experiment to support the interference theory as a whole . However baddely and hitch have also carried out research and this study helps to prove the interference theory as a real reason for forgetting.
How many marks would I get for that evaluation?
P.s I mentioned the screw you affect to mess with the data.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 69
Hey, what do you think is likely to come up on paper 2?
Original post by StudentAlev
Hi, Thanks for this,

For the interference essay, i began with the study by McGhee and McDonald then messed up. I know the essay was based on interference only but I got mixed up, I wrote

'A type of retrieval failure is proactive interference this is ........ Another type of retrieval failure is retroactive interference .....'

Do you think the fact I mixed it up with retrieval failure and referred to it as this will loose me loads of points even if I did explain it correctly after?

thanks

Hi, sorry for the late response almost didn't see this!

I don't particularly think they would be that harsh, maybe they would drop like 2 marks from A01. But as long as you explained what pro/retro interfernece was and included the studies, without then mixing it up with Retrieval Failure then you should be good!
I talked about the study being tested in artificial settings which lacks ecological validity and mundane realism and mentioned that this decreases the external validity of the results as the task is something people wouldn't do on a regular basis so could increase the likelihood of demand characteristics occurring which affect the results. However on the other hand the experiment did have internal validity as the variables of the experiment are being controlled which helps to keep the experiment fair (this is easily replicated)
Another evaluation point I talked about was the extraneous variables that could have affected the experiments results e.g people walking to school as a kid so more likely to remember street names . This could influence the data and findings of the experiment to support the interference theory as a whole . However baddely and hitch have also carried out research and this study helps to prove the interference theory as a real reason for forgetting.
How many marks would I get for that evaluation?
P.s I mentioned the screw you affect to mess with the data.

As A03 is out of 6- I would say this would be 4/5 of those marks. You evaluated the research support for and against. You used key terminology and explained fully.

Maybe you could have got full marks if you talked about that interfernece doesn't actually occur that often. As the memory's needs to be quite similar for it to disrupt another one, therefore Anderson(2000) argued wherher or not interference theory is still important/relevant.

Overall though great evaluation points!
Original post by rome_123
Hey, what do you think is likely to come up on paper 2?

Possibly the Biological Approach either in Approaches or Psychopathology.

Synaptic Transmisson

Fight or Flight(Maybe teacher even thinks that we could be told to evaluate it!)

Ellis' ABC Model

Explaining Classical Conditioning

Evaluating the treatment used for phobias

Probably a diagram of the body asking you to label the PNS, CNS etc.

Lots of scenario's where you have to use research methods

*All of these predictions are what my class/teacher came up with
Does anyone think the two-process model may come up. I know it hasn't done so before but in paper the last question was classical and operant conditioning so I'm just curious seeing as the two questions are based on the same process.?
Original post by hlokkk
Also, for the criticism of Bowlby i wrote that he did not take cultural differences into account. For e.g infants who are born in collectivist cultures are less likely to be affected as they may form multiple attachments and therefore have many caregivers. Whereas in individualist countries infants may be more impacted by maternal deprivation as less attachments are formed and therefore more reliant on mother

would that's be right because i just made it up on the spot?

I wrote that Bowlby over exaggerated the Critical Time, many orphans still form stable relationships in their adulthood even if they were deprived of their maternal figures in the 30 months period.
Original post by Miss.Unknow
I wrote that Bowlby over exaggerated the Critical Time, many orphans still form stable relationships in their adulthood even if they were deprived of their maternal figures in the 30 months period.

Yeah, I think thats a good evaluation point you made!
Original post by Adnan1996
Does anyone think the two-process model may come up. I know it hasn't done so before but in paper the last question was classical and operant conditioning so I'm just curious seeing as the two questions are based on the same process.?

Maybe yeah that could come up, you never know remember its the 2nd year of the spec!
Reply 77
TYSM!!

Possibly the Biological Approach either in Approaches or Psychopathology.

Synaptic Transmisson

Fight or Flight(Maybe teacher even thinks that we could be told to evaluate it!)

Ellis' ABC Model

Explaining Classical Conditioning

Evaluating the treatment used for phobias

Probably a diagram of the body asking you to label the PNS, CNS etc.

Lots of scenario's where you have to use research methods

*All of these predictions are what my class/teacher came up with
Original post by krdeisz
I'm deadass so mad omg I got the percentage question wrong bc I havent done maths in 2 years and I got the memory criticism question wrong bc I thought they wanted us to just talk about the criticisms because it said 'address' ? if they had structured the question more clearly I would've put improvements :/ I hope paper 2 goes better

Hello,
OMG, glad i'm not the only one making this mistake with the 4 mark criticism. I can't stop thinking about it, I also misread it I wrote -

' Peterson and Peterson used trigrams, this is artificial because it does not relate to things we would attempt to remember in real life.
Baddeley used lists of words ranging in similarity, this is also seen as artificial as ecological validity. '

completley wrong :frown: maybe ill learn from my mistakes :frown:

good luck for monday :smile:
Yeah, I think thats a good evaluation point you made!

Thank You!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending