The Student Room Group

Second degree in medicine - financial advice needed (NHS and/or Military)

How can I fund my second degree course in medicine (4-5 years)?

Two areas that I have looked into is the NHS and Army/RAF medical bursaries so I briefly understand that a % of tuition can be reduced from each year. I have no worry in working in the military or the NHS. Unsure whether you can opt for both NHS and military help, I only seek advice on how I can fund my second degree through NHS/Military loans, grants and bursaries if possible, and a low earning part-time job.

I will be applying this October for 4-year and 5-year medical degrees for next year (September). I know that funding is easier for 4-year medicine degrees however they have more applicants per position so I will be applying for both as a safety precaution.

Thank you for your time,
Antonio.
hi, i enquired about finance while back to newcastle uni and they sent me this. not sure if its any help but hope so aha:smile:
@AOlv

I can suggest the following two ideas, although perhaps at a tangent to your precise Q:

a) Depending on the subject of your first degree, a very efficient way of earning money working very short hours is to work part-time as a private tutor, which you can do online, using Skype, which is now very powerful, and for one to one dialogue, FOC. You will need to acquire your first few students by using a mailshot or by adverts in newsagents windows (around 50p to £1/wk) then word of mouth will perpetuate your work - it can pay as much as £40/hr.

b) I would approach a good bank personally (v smartly and formally attired) and present your case as a future doctor, (who is practically never going to be unemployed), and manifest a degree of motivation, determination and other personal qualities. The main criterion banks use to decide whether to lend boils down to whether they think they will get their money back, and if you convince them so, they will fork out.

BEST OF LUCK!

M (former medical student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending