The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology B1 Unofficial Markscheme 2017

Scroll to see replies

5000 maths question
Reply 781
Original post by abigail123123
glucose isn't a carb?

Glucose is a form of carbohydrate known as a simple sugar, or monosaccharide. Plants produce glucose through photosynthesis, and humans consume it in the form of fruit and corn syrup. Glucose is also known as blood sugar because it is constantly present in the human bloodstream
Original post by Josh2001
Darwin was drawn as monkey because he said we evolved from them or we share a common ancestor?

We shared a common ancestor is right.
According to him, he thought monkeys are our distant cousins because we share a common ancestor.
We did not evolve from them.
How many marks was the final last question, the question about the cress seedling
For the Darwin question i said they were mocking his theory and mocking his idea of variation and they were showing how Darwin is different to them by using his idea of variation. They were mocking him. Do you think this would get the marks. Makes sense and I backed it up.
Original post by SorabVij
For question 8a (3marks) how many marks would this get The plant shoot grows away from gravity as its growing upwards. Light has no affect on the shoot as it's not stooping in a certain direction, rather growing straight. This is because it's not exposed to light anyway.

I said that too, i mentioned for light that auxin would be equally distributed at the tip of the shoot because there is not exposure to light and then I talked about how the shoots grow against gravity so it grows upwards (like you mentioned.) So I would say you got 3 for that depending on whether they wanted you to mention auxin or not idk

It's just so annoying how if you've written something completely right and it's not on the mark scheme they just don't give marks...
I don't remember the question exactly but these are things you should have stated. The shoot is positively phototropic and therefore grows towards the light, the roots are positively geotropic and therefore grow towards gravity.
Original post by annoymouse1
the next question was basically describe darwins theory of evolution using natural selection

was there anything before that?
Original post by WildFlower'sSong
the natural selection one about darwin and the monkey picture was....
darwin believed that monkeys were our common ancestors and that we had evolved from them, the people at the time didn't like the idea that we evolved from monkeys so the magazine is mocking him and his ideas in a way.

Yeah, I completely agree with you on that. I think the official markscheme will probably award a mark for either the idea that monkeys were our common ancestors OR that it was mocking him.

I wish I'd put both just to be sure!
Original post by shaan 101010
what was the answer to why is sexual reproduction better?

I wrote genetic variation
Original post by mahmed69
i think its cuz it leads to variation, aloowing the speciesto be less susceptible to disease

oh... i said it increases gene pool , meaning less susceptible to disease
ethics about that adult cell cloning?? I put because there's 3 parents..
Original post by monster_ej
i wrote because people opposed him so they mocked his theory

I wrote because people didn't accept his ideas as they didn't yet know about genes/DNA
Also, for the adult cell cloning 4 mark question, i said everything, however i stupidly said that because the sperm fertilised the egg it replaces the cells mitochondria. Will i lose a mark for this? i Mentioned all other steps
Have you the answers?
Original post by saffarinda
For 3 marks? I highly doubt that.

there were three marks because light wasn't the only thing you had to draw a conclusion about
Respiration isn't a liquid, they were after 2 liquids and the organs
Original post by filip.dudzinski1
On the first page did anyone get anything different from: 1 . 5000 2. lose biomass through feaces 3. photosynthesis glucose

I put loose biomass through reproduction as MRS GREN
Original post by RWDEAN
Because there was a question on why charles darwin showed images of monkeys in evolution.

I was only joking, It wasn't an actual question.
Original post by BasicJam
For the question regarding losing water and ions, does this sound completely correct?
I had put: urine and sweat for liquids
Kidneys and lungs for the organs

Urine- Kidneys
Sweat- Skin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending