The Student Room Group

GCSE French

Hello all,

Good luck to everybody doing French aqa tomorrow(and other exam boards!) . If I got 25 on both my speaking controlled assessments, and 29 and 28 on my writing controlled assessments(all out of 30), how much do you think I'd need to get to keep my grade at an A or even an A*?
I'm targeting 31/40 in listening and 35/45 in reading

Also, does anyone's have any tips on how to approach questions in both listening and reading?

Thanks all 😀
(edited 6 years ago)
You could probably get an A to keep it as an A or possibly an A* if you want an A* in the end, but remember it's down to the UMS points and that.

Good Luck!!
Reply 2
If you don't know a word, DONT FRET! Look around the word and try to understand as much as you can and then make a logical guess as to what the unknown word might mean.
Original post by K78
Hello all,

Good luck to everybody doing French aqa tomorrow(and other exam boards!) . If I got 25 on both my speaking controlled assessments, and 29 and 28 on my writing controlled assessments(all out of 30), how much do you think I'd need to get to keep my grade at an A or even an A*?

Also, does anyone's have any tips on how to approach questions in both listening and reading?

Thanks all 😀

Hi! Im exactly the same as you too! (Coincidently same speaking/writing scores and everything!) with the exams tomorrow morning. Though i tend to do worse in listening than in reading. We've been told a couple of tips by our teacher for both:
Listening:
In the 5 mins reading time read through all questions and make as many notes as possible (french/english words) i.e what you may hear for the question/answer, any key vocab in a topic etc. Then when it comes down to actually answering the questions, listen to it the first time through and make note of what you think you hear. Do this again on the second time round and then compare then try to fill the answer! If you have no clue weve been told to make a clear guess no matter what and to make sure our answer is clear to the examiner. Also look out for any connectives to mark changing opinions or extensions and even note the tone.

Reading: obviously read through the passages or text a couple of times. Try to pick out any key phrases and roughly translate it. Try to translate the vocab in the question or to do with the question. For both exams weve also been told that if there is any fill in the gap answers then to read and make a side note of sensible answers. I.e if it said (in french) Jaques got a mobile for his ____ from his parents. And the words were christmas easter birthday etc (i hope it would be this easy but know it wouldnt!) then you could perhaps guess that it would be his birthday!
Good luck! Im sure however it goes or you think it goes you'll get that A/A*. 😁🤓 x
The three Cs work every time: context. cognates and common sense. Bonne chance :smile:
Original post by K78
Hello all,

Thanks all 😀

Do what I plan to do tomorrow; guess, hope and sit next to someone smart.. (jk revise or something? idk I'm not very good at that lmao)
Reply 6
Just try and translate every word you can in reading and In listening just try and work out the tone of the speaker as then you may be able to eliminate certain answers

I've got my edexcel french tomorrow, so good luck all!!!!
Original post by Wirefox
Just try and translate every word you can in reading and In listening just try and work out the tone of the speaker as then you may be able to eliminate certain answers

I've got my edexcel french tomorrow, so good luck all!!!!

In Edexcel listening, do you guys get those annoying people whose French you can't understand?
Reply 8
Doing foundation for both tomorrow, any other tips? Getting an average of like 26-29 rn on past papers so if there is anything I need to know to help me would be much appreciated.
Much love haha, Eoin.
Original post by K78
Hello all,

Thanks all 😀

That'll definitely be enough to get at least an A and probably an A* too. The boundaries for A* on listening is usually 29-31 and A* for reading is usually like around 32-34 so those grades will probably be a good A*. I need to aim for full UMS on both though if I stand any chance in hell of an A* overall since my CA were all over the place and left me with just enough UMS so that I could get into A* if I got full UMS on the tests. However, I'd be fine with an A though because if they raise CA boundaries by one bit this year, it'd be impossible for me to get an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending