The Student Room Group

GCSE Exams

Hi guys,

With it being the first day of the GCSE exams, how did it go? Which exam did you have? And which exams do you have coming in the next few days?

As a GCSE student myself, I understand the stress and pressure that is placed upon us. And I wish to help you guys get through it. Whether you guys share exam techniques or just simply would like to rant about any of the exams that you have done or are to come.

Good luck to every one completing exams this year whether or not they are for GCSEs or any other examinations within the next few months.

Chatterbot.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Revision? hahaha *nervous laughter* ..... help?
Original post by Chatterbot
Hi guys,

With it being the first day of the GCSE exams, how did it go? Which exam did you have? And which exams do you have coming in the next few days?

As a GCSE student myself, I understand the stress and pressure that is placed upon us. And I wish to help you guys get through it. Whether you guys share exam techniques or just simply would like to rant about any of the exams that you have done or are to come.

Good luck to every one completing exams this year whether or not they are for GCSEs or any other examinations within the next few months.

Chatterbot.

Thank you for the good luck, and I wish the same back to you for whatever you are taking.

The upcoming days is Biology, RE, and then Chemistry. Feeling pretty confident about the Biology one, but not so much about Chemistry as I hate it, and the RE, a lot of it is self explanatory and I'm not too bothered if I don't pass as its not a main focus.
Reply 3
Original post by Alliterate
Thank you for the good luck, and I wish the same back to you for whatever you are taking.

The upcoming days is Biology, RE, and then Chemistry. Feeling pretty confident about the Biology one, but not so much about Chemistry as I hate it, and the RE, a lot of it is self explanatory and I'm not too bothered if I don't pass as its not a main focus.

Hi,

Have you tried the MrMcmillianREvis videos? I'm not too sure as to whether they would be helpful. When is your RE exam?

As for the sciences, I would recommend past papers and then looking at the mark scheme. Although the process is long, it is worth it because as you practice more questions you can see what you need to do in order to get the marks and, it is easier to be more concise in your answers and not waffle as well.

A tip for science. If you run out of space on your paper, write continued below on the line for the answer and on a new piece of paper, or if there is space below, write continued from above or continued from question...(and the question number) that way the examiner will look for the other half of your answer.
Reply 4
Original post by lucyelkin
Revision? hahaha *nervous laughter* ..... help?

Hi,

What subjects do you take? And when do you have the exams?

If you need help for science and RE, please see the advice that I have given to another student below.
Hi,

What subjects do you take? And when do you have the exams?

If you need help for science and RE, please see the advice that I have given to another student below.

I do english, maths, science, french, history, drama and music. I have french tomorrow and drama Thursday.
Reply 6
Original post by Alliterate

For RE I would suggest using past papers and the examiners' reports. I'm not sure if it depends on the exam board you're using, but it might give you an insight on what you can improve on.
Reply 7
Original post by lucyelkin
I do english, maths, science, french, history, drama and music. I have french tomorrow and drama Thursday.

Hello,

For French, it is really a case of knowing your vocabulary. For this subject I would suggest a website called 'Memrise'.

Unfortunately, I don't take Drama,History or Music so I won't be able to give any tips there but maybe asks others in this thread?

English, if it is literature make sure you have a character analysis for each character as well as an analysis for each theme as well.
For language, I would recommend past papers and questions all in timed conditions. The same applies for literature as well.

What else do you do in English?

For Maths, it is a case of knowing what is on your specification, and going over the topics that you are still currently unsure about.
Alongside this, I would recommend past exam style questions as by doing a lot of exam practice, you will become more consistent with obtaining the marks and you will also be able to familiarise yourself with the way that you earn the marks.

And Science, I would recommend exam practice. So, past papers and exam style questions.
Original post by mm45
For RE I would suggest using past papers and the examiners' reports. I'm not sure if it depends on the exam board you're using, but it might give you an insight on what you can improve on.

Thanks, I will probably do a past paper the day before just to prepare and then try and go over the key words. Its not a main focus as I'm focusing on the two Science exams mainly, but will certainly do an hour or two as recap.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Reply 9
I took my RE exam today morning and Citizenship this afternoon. I feel like I did OK with RE, but I don't think my answers will be in the mark scheme for Citizenship.
Tomorrow, I have French Listening (H) and Reading (H) which I'm dreading. I have Citizenship Unit 3 on Thursday and next week is when the really hard exams start, such as: English lit, Maths, Biology.
Hi guys,

Chatterbot.

I had RE EDEXCEL today and it was ... alright, far better than I thought.
I have French AQA tomorrow, which I havent revised for??
Next week, I have Eng Lit and Geo on Monday, Bio on Wednesday, Maths on Thursday and Eng Lit 2 on Friday. Very nervous.
Good luck:smile:
Good luck all!
CCEA RE GCSE Paper 4: Matthew's Gospel. Really scared for the 10 mark questions, but quick reply; we've been told it's 6 good points for the 10 marks, but can you get away with 5 good points for the 10 marks?
Reply 13
Original post by tryhard11
CCEA RE GCSE Paper 4: Matthew's Gospel. Really scared for the 10 mark questions, but quick reply; we've been told it's 6 good points for the 10 marks, but can you get away with 5 good points for the 10 marks?

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't take the same paper as you for RS.

But, when it comes to answering questions with big marks like 8, I use the point, evidence, explain method. I find this method useful and I hope you find it useful too with answering your 10 mark question.

Don't forget to separate your points out into separate paragraphs.

Let me know how you got on with your exam.

Good luck.
Hi,

But, when it comes to answering questions with big marks like 8, I use the point, evidence, explain method. I find this method useful and I hope you find it useful too with answering your 10 mark question.

Good luck.

We've been bombarded by our teachers with this PEEL structure as well. Mainly it's just getting the points from your head is the problem, and then the amount that you need. It's quite a long paper, 90 minutes for 100 marks where you have 4 ten mark questions, 10 five mark questions and 10 one mark questions
Reply 15
We've been bombarded by our teachers with this PEEL structure as well. Mainly it's just getting the points from your head is the problem, and then the amount that you need. It's quite a long paper, 90 minutes for 100 marks where you have 4 ten mark questions, 10 five mark questions and 10 one mark questions

What day do you have your exam?
Do you feel prepared for the exam?
What day do you have your exam?
Do you feel prepared for the exam?

Tomorrow, and well, I know all the stories I need to know, and the notes are mostly in my brain. However, our last topic, Discipleship was quite rushed by our teacher so I'm a bit worried about that, but it should be fine. In terms of preparing for exam, I've done quite a few of the essay questions and 5 mark questions, but it's just the thought of something completely different from the past papers that's worrying me
Hi,

Good luck.

Well, that actually went quite well! I believe I got the timing right this time, albeit my handwriting is godawful. One of the ten mark questions was sort of off-putting, just by the wording 'The Miracles of Jesus cause controversy' where 'cause' suggests we write about it in the context of today rather than back then, as it would've been much more straightforward for me to write about back then. Some of us did write only about Jesus' time, whilst others also thought the wording was dodgy, but I asked my teacher after and she said we could've done both so I guess I'm not that worried about that question in particular other than the points I gave being quite 'jammy'. Other than that, it's just a few 'jammy' points that I slightly rushed because I was so conscious for timing but I think i'll get the marks for them.
Reply 18
Well, that actually went quite well! I believe I got the timing right this time, albeit my handwriting is godawful. One of the ten mark questions was sort of off-putting, just by the wording 'The Miracles of Jesus cause controversy' where 'cause' suggests we write about it in the context of today rather than back then, as it would've been much more straightforward for me to write about back then. Some of us did write only about Jesus' time, whilst others also thought the wording was dodgy, but I asked my teacher after and she said we could've done both so I guess I'm not that worried about that question in particular other than the points I gave being quite 'jammy'. Other than that, it's just a few 'jammy' points that I slightly rushed because I was so conscious for timing but I think i'll get the marks for them.

Don't worry about it. You probably did better then you realised. at least you managed to complete the paper, do you have a second paper that you will have to take?
Don't worry about it. You probably did better then you realised. at least you managed to complete the paper, do you have a second paper that you will have to take?

Yeah, I'm gonna be really optimistic and hope for an A* mainly because i didn't leave any question out, so it's really a matter of those iffy points. And our teacher marked quite harshly in our mock, so I think the examiner will hopefully be more positive!

Yes, we're doing Ethics in 5th year, but for now, it's on to Maths on the 25th and 2nd. I'm doing the whole GCSE in one year and Further Maths the next year, so there's just that bit of stress, but I consider maths my best subject so I'm nowhere near as worried

Quick Reply

Latest