Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i kno this might sound a bit thick but what exactly does declining an award mean?
    thanks
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    I believe that say if you got an A in AS, and like a D in A2, you can decline the D (cancelling your exams in effect) and you'll just get the A AS instead. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's so it'll look better to universities, employers etc.

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of declining is so that you can not get a certificate with the grade you got on it, this means you drop which ever units of the AS or A2 you don't like and re-sit them in the next year so that it is added to the units you like again if you improved. Also any declined grades at AS means the AS subject does not need to be declared on your UCAS form.

Also a D at A2 is worth more than an A at AS.

ReputationRep:
    so if i want to resit one of my As german modules should i decline the whole grade or not?!
    im confussed!
    thanks
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaïs)
    so if i want to resit one of my As german modules should i decline the whole grade or not?!
    im confussed!
    thanks
    ana xxx
    If you are continuing german to A2, then no. You will resit the unit, but it will only count towards your UMS score for A2, not AS. For example: I got a C in P2 at AS, resat in January without declining said C grade, and improved it to a B. I was certificated my AS grades with the scores I obtained in June last year, but this year my A2 grade was decided with the resit scores.
    Basically, if you aren't continuing the subject to A2 and you want to improve on the unit score so it looks better, decline it (SPEAK TO YOUR YEAR HEAD FIRST THOUGH!!!!!!) If you are continuing to A2, and don't mind having a not-so-great certificated AS score/grade because you know you can improve it next year and won't be putting it on your CV - then don't.
    Hope that clears things up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyvry1)
    The purpose of declining is so that you can not get a certificate with the grade you got on it, this means you drop which ever units of the AS or A2 you don't like and re-sit them in the next year so that it is added to the units you like again if you improved. Also any declined grades at AS means the AS subject does not need to be declared on your UCAS form.

Also a D at A2 is worth more than an A at AS.
    No it isn't.

On the surface each is worth 60 UCAS points, which would make you think they WERE equal.

However, when applying to uni, in an offer they might ask for x amount of ucas points across x + 3 modules, usually 21 in many cases.

Therefore thats across 3 A levels and an AS.

In this instance, an A at as might come in very handy for those extra points...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.