The Student Room Group

Poll suggests more than 2/3 support Brexit.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/two-thirds-voters-now-support-brexit/amp/

Very good news, but it was expected.

Economic hardships are on the way, but we can definitely get through them. I reckon the difficulties for the EU are more damaging: this is considering the £80 billion pound German car industry and the repercussions on it if Germany were to give us a bad deal.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I cant be the only one to notice how everything you post here is just regurgitated crap from PJW's twitter feed, can I?

Original post by Dodgypirate

Economic hardships are on the way, but we can definitely get through them. I reckon the difficulties for the EU are more damaging: this is considering the £80 billion pound German car industry and the repercussions on it if Germany were to give us a bad deal.

"Our economy is ****ed, but that's okay because the German's are ****ed too so that's okay" Ahh the refreshing intellectual mind of a brexiter.
Reply 2
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/two-thirds-voters-now-support-brexit/amp/

Very good news, but it was expected.

Haven't you heard? "The People Have Spoken!"
You can't start challenging the referendum result just because it suits you. :wink:
Yeah over 2/3 are for it now just cause the people voted to leave and folk don't want to go against a democratic vote. Heck even the article mentions this, calling them "re-leavers"

I'm not sure what point you're actually trying to make.
Reply 4
considering the £80 billion pound German car industry and the repercussions on it if Germany were to give us a bad deal.
If BMWs, Audis and Mercs become more expensive, it will just make them more attractive to the kind of people who aspire to buying them.

One plus from Brexit is that our coming "special deal" with the US will mean that everyone can own a V8 Mustang, Challenger or Camaro. I already have my eye on a Shelby or R/T. Just waiting for the prices to drop.
Reply 5
Original post by QE2
If BMWs, Audis and Mercs become more expensive, it will just make them more attractive to the kind of people who aspire to buying them.

One plus from Brexit is that our coming "special deal" with the US will mean that everyone can own a V8 Mustang, Challenger or Camaro. I already have my eye on a Shelby or R/T. Just waiting for the prices to drop.

No not really, the people who buy BMWs, Audis etc etc deffo look at the price. If it becomes too expensive theyll just go to the second hand car market where the value depreciates a lottt but that damages the car manufacturers business. You're economically illiterate if you seriously think that as the price of a 30000-50000 BMW or Audi goes up, more people will buy it.
Reply 6
Original post by wolfie3
No not really, the people who buy BMWs, Audis etc etc deffo look at the price. If it becomes too expensive theyll just go to the second hand car market where the value depreciates a lottt but that damages the car manufacturers business. You're economically illiterate if you seriously think that as the price of a 30000-50000 BMW or Audi goes up, more people will buy it.
I didn't claim that more people would buy them, just that they would become more attractive to the people who buy them already. Its in the words wot I rote.

I may not be economically illiterate, but you seem to be literally illiterate!
Reply 7
Original post by QE2
I didn't claim that more people would buy them, just that they would become more attractive to the people who buy them already. Its in the words wot I rote.

That's a non point then. So you're bascially claiming you said "higher prices is good because it means people will drool over the higher prices". Which has no economic relevance whatsoever. You're clearly implying a positive impact.

Nah, we all know what you meant but nice save though
Remember kids, it's not the 52 and the 48, it's the 76 ad the 24
Reply 9
Original post by wolfie3
That's a non point then. So you're bascially claiming you said "higher prices is good because it means people will drool over the higher prices". Which has no economic relevance whatsoever. You're clearly implying a positive impact.
No. I meant that higher prices on German cars won't necessarily impact sales volumes.

Nah, we all know what you meant
But you clearly didn't.
Reply 10
Original post by QE2
No. I meant that higher prices on German cars won't necessarily impact sales volumes.

And that's where your economic illiteracy kicks in. :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by wolfie3
And that's where your economic illiteracy kicks in. :wink:
Not familiar with the ecomonic theory of "Veblen goods" then?
Reply 12
Original post by QE2
Not familiar with the ecomonic theory of "Veblen goods" then?

Just a fancy name for a distinction good. A £40k merc is not a distinction good LOOOOOL. The only type of car that would be a distinction good is ones that appreciate in value, something like a 60s ferrari. An average mercedes, even a 100k one is a wasting asset. These cars will lose 50% of its value in 3 years. Its market is highly competitive. Hence rational consumers wouldnt demand more of a good if its price increases because its neither unique nor will it appreciate in value, it actually depreciates in value quite badly.

The fact that I have to explain this to you shows just how economically illiterate you are.

Also, interesting that you've now changed your argument given that first you said this.

Original post by QE2

come on now, be consistent!
Reply 13
Original post by wolfie3
Just a fancy name for a distinction good. A £40k merc is not a distinction good LOOOOOL. The only type of car that would be a distinction good is ones that appreciate in value, something like a 60s ferrari. An average mercedes, even a 100k one is a wasting asset. These cars will lose 50% of its value in 3 years. Its market is highly competitive. Hence rational consumers wouldnt demand more of a good if its price increases because its neither unique nor will it appreciate in value, it actually depreciates in value quite badly.

The fact that I have to explain this to you shows just how economically illiterate you are.
No. The principle applies to any goods where you are paying a premium for no material advantage, only an aspirational or positional gain.

Also, interesting that you've now changed your argument given that first you said this.
come on now, be consistent!
No inconsistency. An increase in the price of luxury goods does not decrease their desirability. If anything, it increases it.
Reply 14
Original post by QE2
No. The principle applies to any goods where you are paying a premium for no material advantage, only an aspirational or positional gain.

Not a counter argument. Just a generic non point which further proves your economic illiteracy. Come on now, google cant teach you economics in seconds!

Original post by QE2

No inconsistency. An increase in the price of luxury goods does not decrease their desirability. If anything, it increases it.

You said" I didn't claim that more people would buy them" but then you're also arguing that there will be more people buying them as it is a "veblen good".
Reply 15
Original post by wolfie3
Not a counter argument. Just a generic non point which further proves your economic illiteracy. Come on now, google cant teach you economics in seconds!
It is clearly a counter argument to "increased prices will lead to a dramatic fall in the sales of luxury goods".

You said" I didn't claim that more people would buy them" but then you're also arguing that there will be more people buying them as it is a "veblen good".
I'm not claiming that "more people will buy them", only that there will not be a marked decrease in sales - which is what the OP claimed.

Please respond to what I am actually saying, not what you would like me to have said.
Reply 16
Original post by QE2
It is clearly a counter argument to "increased prices will lead to a dramatic fall in the sales of luxury goods".

I'm not claiming that "more people will buy them", only that there will not be a marked decrease in sales - which is what the OP claimed.

Please respond to what I am actually saying, not what you would like me to have said.

Incredible.
QE2 please stop embarrassing yourself and just accept your point is wrong. Another economics student here.

On topic, I am glad the polls are like that. I have a feeling brexit negotiations will be very tough and we need all the support/mandate possible to get the best possible deal.
Original post by QE2

It's pretty obvious if the price goes up of something people will buy less unless demand is inelastic. Actually even if demand is inelastic, quantity demanded will fall -.-

--->QE2 Attempting to imply demand for cars worth <100k is inelastic.

Clearly there will be a "marked" or noticeable decrease in sells. I don't even think one needs to explain why.
No it shows that about 1/2 of the Remainers(myself included) think the govt should respect the result. It doesn't mean we think that Brexit's a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending