The Student Room Group

Physics Edexcel Unit 1 May 2017 IAL

A 1.8 kg mass is suspended from the end of a spring of original length 0.040m. The
spring extends and is now three times its original length.
The work done on the spring is
A 0.072J
B 0.11J
C 0.71J
D 1.1J
Guys why is the answer C . How could it possibly be 0.08 as Extension When It Should Be 3 Multiply By 0.04 Original length?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
New length = 3x0.04 = 0.12m
so the extension (or the change in length) = 0.12 - 0.04 =0.08m
Original post by LittlePrince
A 1.8 kg mass is suspended from the end of a spring of original length 0.040m. The
A 0.072J
B 0.11J
C 0.71J
D 1.1J
Guys why is the answer C . How could it possibly be 0.08 as Extension When It Should Be 3 Multiply By 0.04 Original length?

original length = 0.04
extended length = 3 x 0.04 = 0.12
extension = 0.12 - 0.04 = 0.08
work done = 0.5 x f x e
o.5 x ( 1.8 x 9.8 ) x 0.08 = 0.71 J.
you're welcome lol
Reply 3
Original post by zahraa Mohsen
original length = 0.04
extended length = 3 x 0.04 = 0.12
extension = 0.12 - 0.04 = 0.08
work done = 0.5 x f x e
o.5 x ( 1.8 x 9.8 ) x 0.08 = 0.71 J.
you're welcome lol

thanks tho it was my bad i didnt read the question properly.
Guys can someone please answer this question
A ball is dropped at a height from the ground and a velocity time graph for one bounce is plotted and now they're saying a "softer" ball is dropped from the same height and a velocity time graph for one bounce of this ball is plotted
what is the differnce between the velocity time graph of the first ball and the softer ball
its a 3 marks question...
Original post by Greetings24
Guys can someone please answer this question
A ball is dropped at a height from the ground and a velocity time graph for one bounce is plotted and now they're saying a "softer" ball is dropped from the same height and a velocity time graph for one bounce of this ball is plotted
what is the differnce between the velocity time graph of the first ball and the softer ball
its a 3 marks question...

Not sure But I think if you take air resistance into account you can mention that :
The soft ball has a lower mass meaning that it will take more time to bounce compared to the first one as a result your 2nd graph for soft ball will be more inclined (Less steeper) to the x axis which is time .
Reply 6
Original post by LittlePrince
A 0.072J
B 0.11J
C 0.71J
D 1.1J
Guys why is the answer C . How could it possibly be 0.08 as Extension When It Should Be 3 Multiply By 0.04 Original length?[/Q

use the formula 0.5 F*EXTENSION
Original post by rayyanbkc
Not sure But I think if you take air resistance into account you can mention that :
The soft ball has a lower mass meaning that it will take more time to bounce compared to the first one as a result your 2nd graph for soft ball will be more inclined (Less steeper) to the x axis which is time .

Thank you u do have a point...actually my main doubt was how a soft ball differs from a usual ball of the same size...do u have any idea about that?
How was the paper?
Reply 9
it was somehow confusing thoWhat did you get for the multiple choice question about the constant resultant force
Reply 10
It was somehow confusing thoWhat did u get for the multiple choice question about the constant resultant force
Original post by Ddde
it was somehow confusing thoWhat did you get for the multiple choice question about the constant resultant force

I don't really remember much about it...can u please remind me with the values and the question
Reply 12
I don't really remember much about it...can u please remind me with the values and the question

I think it was a graph question which had 4 types of graphs
Distance time, Acceleration time, Velocity time and I think velocity distance all with a straight line of proportionality and it said u have to choose which one shows a constant resultant force
Reply 13
What did you get for the Normal contact force question
Original post by Ddde
I think it was a graph question which had 4 types of graphs
Distance time, Acceleration time, Velocity time and I think velocity distance all with a straight line of proportionality and it said u have to choose which one shows a constant resultant force

I picked velocity time graph
Original post by Khushi malde
I picked velocity time graph

Same here! and regarding the normal reaction if ur speaking of the 17th question i guess i did the force sin apha (i dont really remember the angle) equals mg and the mass was given
Reply 16
Same here! and regarding the normal reaction if ur speaking of the 17th question i guess i did the force sin apha (i dont really remember the angle) equals mg and the mass was given

Yes Same here
Coming to the discriminating question of the paper where most of the students got stuck half way or just left it...the last question dd any of u guys get the answer all I got was the force on both the pads but not the percentage.
Coming to the discriminating question of the paper where most of the students got stuck half way or just left it...the last question dd any of u guys get the answer all I got was the force on both the pads but not the percentage.

I got 97.2% though
Any one else got any other answers
I could not get the question. It was so confusing. I was going in circles.
Original post by RunningScorpion
I got 97.2% though
Any one else got any other answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending