That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
On a past paper it says "Name one diseas thalidomide is used to treat now" and the mark scheme answer says "leprosy" - yet the textbook says it has been banned for use of leprosy, and is instead used to treat some sorts of cancer or autoimmune diseases. Here's the extra twist, autoimmune diseases are not an option on the mark scheme, and it says "ignore cancer". What the hell are we meant to do (It's June 2015 AQA Biology btw)
ckoppula199
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unless the exam board has issued a statement specifying a change to the syllabus in which the answer to this question is no longer leprosy I would continue to use leprosy as an answer but just to make sure I'd also ask your teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Epitype
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thalidomide is not recommended for use in Leprosy. However, that does not necessarily mean that it cannot be used. Thalidomide is still used today, but is heavily regulated and monitored. However, it is not used in many regions like the EU and Australia. It is also used to treat Bone and Blood Cancers (only these cancers, not other ones).
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Epitype)
Thalidomide is not recommended for use in Leprosy. However, that does not necessarily mean that it cannot be used. Thalidomide is still used today, but is heavily regulated and monitored. However, it is not used in many regions like the EU and Australia. It is also used to treat Bone and Blood Cancers (only these cancers, not other ones).
It wa scanned for use on Leprosy but the World Health Organisation
Epitype
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
It wa scanned for use on Leprosy but the World Health Organisation
Sorry?
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just write what is says on the spec. That specific question accepts Bone cancer, but not cancer, because people just generally write cancer when they don't know.
higoogle1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the specification is what the examiners base their questions on, the specification says it is now used to treat leprosy. The best thing to do is revise of the specification and use revision guides for extra information
AseelaKhan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its not recommended for pregnant women to take thalidomide. It was reintroduced today for treating leprosy, AIDs and certain cancers.
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Even if it isn't technically true, you should say what it says in the specification and mark schemes. After all, you're taught that the 3th electron shell holds 8 electrons when at A-level you find out that it really holds 18.
honeydukes01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Omg what a coincidence! I noticed this today while revising as well! I'm still going to put leprosy if it comes up because that's what the spec says and I can't think of an alternative answer
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheMindGarage)
Even if it isn't technically true, you should say what it says in the specification and mark schemes. After all, you're taught that the 3th electron shell holds 8 electrons when at A-level you find out that it really holds 18.
and that there is no such thing as shells, but rather quantum orbitals in which each can have two electrons, however if there are two electrons, both have to have different direction quantum spin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads