The Student Room Group

If life is the entrance exam for heaven in your religion ..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RogerOxon
Thanks for the reply.

So why are they put on Earth?

A very good question! I'll grab some popcorn!
Reply 21
.. what about the mentally ill? Are they supposed to be responsible for their decisions?

If we are of the belief that we live in a fallen world, far away from God's ideal for mankind, then what is mentally perfect?

As a Christian I have faith in a just God. There are many things in life that I just don't know the answer to so I've come to the conclusion that I'll just leave it to God and trust him.

But with regard to your question specifically I would say everything is individual and God knows their hearts and minds. He is a loving father so what do you think?
Reply 22
Original post by Racoon
As a Christian I have faith in a just God. There are many things in life that I just don't know the answer to so I've come to the conclusion that I'll just leave it to God and trust him.

It's easier than thinking for yourself.

But with regard to your question specifically I would say everything is individual and God knows their hearts and minds. He is a loving father so what do you think?

I'm an Atheist. If there is an all-powerful god, then they're a psychopath. It's a good job that there's no evidence that they exist.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Stated again:

"Would you sympathise and care for Ian Brady (psychopath who died in prison this morning) with patience, love, compassion, humility and kindness?"

"Why would Brady get paradise and an older victim get hell simply because they did not worship Allah?"

FYI, Brady did not shoot his victims, he raped, tortured, strangled and bludgeoned his victims before burying them on Saddleworth Moor. He photographed them and sound recorded a 10 year old girl as he tortured and killed her while she screamed for her mother. This tape was later played in court as evidence with her mother present.

Rephrasing my questions so that you can understand them:

1) How would YOU personally treat Ian Brady?

2) Why does God deserve to be worshipped?

Please be careful how you answer. Allah is watching. :smile:

Short answer: NO. Only because a person capable of such horrific crimes as the ones you mentioned above is not mentally ill but rather a sociopath.

1) Personally, I'd wish him a long torturous life in jail since death is too merciful.
2) You're asking a question that will produce many answers atheists/agnostics would never be satisfied with. Nevertheless, I will answer your question.

From an Islamic perspective, We worship God because we believe He created the universe and everything in it, and has given us so many things to be thankful for. We worship Him (i.e. praying 5 times a day) to show our thanks and gratitude. But it is also more than that. We worship Him because the worship of Allah creates a sense of thankfulness, respect and honor. Moreover, the worship of Allah elevates the soul of humans. What else can be more elevating us getting connected to the total perfection and that is Allah, and for the duties of worship and the affairs of this life we ask help from the unending and unlimited power and acquire that much capability that we can communicate with Him. (Plus, you'd be surprised at how relaxing and soothing it is to confide in God and pour your heart out to him about everything you're going through: despair, depression, problems, etc. Christians and Jews do this as well. The possibility of believing in a force greater than us is a powerful thing and gives us a sense of comfort. In Islam, there are various kinds of worship (fasting, Hajj, etc) and each one serves a different purpose (I'd be more than happy to explain each one of them if you'd like).

I hope that answers your question. Or am I still evading? :smile:

Are your really satisfied with a non-explanation?

Don't you see? This is the very core of what religion is all about: Faith. It is in our nature to want the answers to everything, however, not everything can be explained. We can't claim that we hold all the answers to this universe. As Amanda Hocking says: "A foolish man thinks he knows everything." There are so many things we humans will never get to know about this universe.

Now to answer your other question as to why does God require our worship, let me start off with this verse from the Quran saying God created humans to worship Him.

وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْإِنسَ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُونِ

And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.
- Zariyat 56 (51/56)

Allah says in one of the chapters from the Quran: Surat Al-Baqarah (2nd Chapter of the Holy Quran): {وَإِذْ قَالَ رَبُّكَ لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ إِنِّي جَاعِلٌ فِي الْأَرْضِ خَلِيفَةً ۖ قَالُوا أَتَجْعَلُ فِيهَا مَن يُفْسِدُ فِيهَا وَيَسْفِكُ الدِّمَاءَ وَنَحْنُ نُسَبِّحُ بِحَمْدِكَ وَنُقَدِّسُ لَكَ ۖ قَالَ إِنِّي أَعْلَمُ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ(30)}

In this verse, Allah narrates when He told the angles that He was going to appoint a Khalifa (vicegerent, means human, starting with Adam) on the Earth. They, the Angels, asked Him why He would appoint one that will cause disorder and shed blood on it (they mean the Earth) when they were already engaged in hymning His praise, and hallowing Him. He told them that He knows what they don't know.

So we learn from this verse that Allah created us due to something we may not already be able to understand it. Allah says in one of the chapters in the Quran: Surat Al-Anbya' (21th Chapter of the Holy Quran): {لَا يُسْأَلُ عَمَّا يَفْعَلُ وَهُمْ يُسْأَلُونَ(23)}

In this verse Allah says that He is accountable to none for what He does, but all others are accountable (to Him).

So we do not know "why" we were created. Questioning this is fine as we are encouraged to question things in Islam, however, the more you think about it, you start going crazy asking such questions such as "How did God even come to existence?" which no one can ever answer and sends you down a path where you start disbelieving and doubting His existence. Therefore, if you truly believe in God, you need to accept that as long as we are on Earth, we would never have the answer to that until we meet Him in the hereafter. As I already said, our existence in this universe is all a test, and our actions are derived from our beliefs. All religions require faith and we get rewarded for our actions. I truly hope this answers your question.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How can God test someone if he knows everything in advance?

Just because God knows everything doesn't mean we don't have free will. We cannot begin to fathom how God operates. He is Omniscient.

Let me try to illustrate this point with a simple scenario.

Let's assume Jack was born in 1950 during the Spring. God already knew he would be born right? Growing up, Jack can do anything he wishes but everything he does, God already knew beforehand. But does that mean that Jack does not have free will? No. Let me try to explain this further.

Jack just turned 30 and wants to travel. Let's assume he wants to travel to either the States or the UK. If Jack travels to the States, God already knew that. And if Jack travels to the UK, God already knows that as well.

So your argument is where is Jack's free will if God already knew where Jack would travel to? God gave us free will to decide what to do or what to make of our lives. Yes, He does know where we would end up in eventually (Heaven/Hell) but He also gave us a brain to think, to make our decisions. Therefore, we and only we are responsible for the decisions we make in our lives.

We can always change our paths, and if we do change our paths (God would have already foreseen that as well). If God's plan was for you to work in Australia for 5 years and it was destined for you to work there, then that is what shall happen. BUT, if you start praying to God and really wishing you could go and work somewhere else (obviously you need to get off your arse and actually do something about it because you can't just sit at home and pray to God for something and it would magically happen; it doesn't work like that), then God will change your path in life and you would end up working where you wanted. Why? Because you made that decision. You changed your course in life. So what does that mean? God changed His plans for you because you wanted/desired something else? Maybe. But God already knew you would change your plan. Does this make sense? It's like there are infinite paths in life for us to take, and each path plays out differently, but whatever path we end up taking, God would have already known that.

We can't begin to imagine how God works and we definitely can't wrap our head around this. We just can't. Faith teaches us that sometimes, we don't have the answers to everything and that is alright, since humans can ever know everything because we are not God. We are his creations. Only God holds the answers to everything and those answers will be revealed one day when we meet Him in the hereafter. I hope this makes sense!
Original post by satisfactionatlast
Just because God knows everything doesn't mean we don't have free will. We cannot begin to fathom how God operates. He is Omniscient.

Let me try to illustrate this point with a simple scenario.

Let's assume Jack was born in 1950 during the Spring. God already knew he would be born right? Growing up, Jack can do anything he wishes but everything he does, God already knew beforehand. But does that mean that Jack does not have free will? No. Let me try to explain this further.

Jack just turned 30 and wants to travel. Let's assume he wants to travel to either the States or the UK. If Jack travels to the States, God already knew that. And if Jack travels to the UK, God already knows that as well.

So your argument is where is Jack's free will if God already knew where Jack would travel to? God gave us free will to decide what to do or what to make of our lives. Yes, He does know where we would end up in eventually (Heaven/Hell) but He also gave us a brain to think, to make our decisions. Therefore, we and only we are responsible for the decisions we make in our lives.

We can always change our paths, and if we do change our paths (God would have already foreseen that as well). If God's plan was for you to work in Australia for 5 years and it was destined for you to work there, then that is what shall happen. BUT, if you start praying to God and really wishing you could go and work somewhere else (obviously you need to get off your arse and actually do something about it because you can't just sit at home and pray to God for something and it would magically happen; it doesn't work like that), then God will change your path in life and you would end up working where you wanted. Why? Because you made that decision. You changed your course in life. So what does that mean? God changed His plans for you because you wanted/desired something else? Maybe. But God already knew you would change your plan. Does this make sense? It's like there are infinite paths in life for us to take, and each path plays out differently, but whatever path we end up taking, God would have already known that.

We can't begin to imagine how God works and we definitely can't wrap our head around this. We just can't. Faith teaches us that sometimes, we don't have the answers to everything and that is alright, since humans can ever know everything because we are not God. We are his creations. Only God holds the answers to everything and those answers will be revealed one day when we meet Him in the hereafter. I hope this makes sense!

This isn't a discussion about free will although omniscience does obliterate that.

This was a discussion about life being a test. The only reason you test someone is to find something out about them that you didn't know before. That's why we have all sorts of exams in life, precisely because examiners cannot know in advance what we're going to do.

However, as your fictitious deity is purported to know everything before it happens, he cannot possibly be testing you as he already knows how you'll react in every situation and circumstance and is therefore not finding out anything about you that he didn't already know or being surprised by your decisions. Ergo the whole "life is a test" hogwash is fatally flawed in the context of an all-knowing deity.
(edited 6 years ago)
The only reason you test someone is to find something out about them that you didn't know before. That's why we have all sorts of exams in life, precisely because examiners cannot know in advance what we're going to do.

That's your definition of a test. :smile:

However, as your fictitious deity is purported to know everything before it happens, he cannot possibly be testing you as he already knows how you'll react in every situation and circumstance and is therefore not finding out anything about you that he didn't already know or being surprised by your decisions. Ergo the whole "life is a test" hogwash is fatally flawed in the context of an all-knowing deity.

That's not respectful now, is it? And I have already explained this to you, we cannot grasp exactly how God operates. You can sit all day and think about it, but at the end of the day, you would not be able to fully comprehend this.

That's not respectful now, is it? And I have already explained this to you, we cannot grasp exactly how God operates. You can sit all day and think about it, but at the end of the day, you would not be able to fully comprehend this.

Don't be disingenuous. That is what a test is, not my definition. You do not and cannot test people if you already know with certainty what the outcome will be. The rest of your post is a non-answer, presumably because you know you cannot explain how an omniscient deity tests people. It is better to actually think about these things than just assuming everything the Quran says is true just because "Allah knows best".
(edited 6 years ago)
The rest of your post is a non-answer, presumably because you know you cannot explain how an omniscient deity tests people. It is better to actually think about these things than just assuming everything the Quran says is true just because "Allah knows best".

Of course I don't! No one knows! Haven't you being paying attention? Let me throw your definition of a test back at you. How are to we get tested if we knew exactly how God operates? There's no point in being tested then, is there? i.e. if students knew exactly what questions the teacher would ask, would it be fair for them to get an A? No. It's the same with faith and religion. Because we don't know or can't explain how God tests people, we need to take it up to faith, and our end results (actions derived by teachings of religion) is exactly how we get rewarded with either Heaven/Hell. Oh and Allah does know best. Always. :smile:
Of course I don't! No one knows! Haven't you being paying attention? Let me throw your definition of a test back at you. How are to we get tested if we knew exactly how God operates? There's no point in being tested then, is there? i.e. if students knew exactly what questions the teacher would ask, would it be fair for them to get an A? No. It's the same with faith and religion. Because we don't know or can't explain how God tests people, we need to take it up to faith, and our end results (actions derived by teachings of religion) is exactly how we get rewarded with either Heaven/Hell. Oh and Allah does know best. Always. :smile:

Complete false equivalency. In most tests people would have practised before hand and also understood the marking system.

Another issue is most the people taking this test don't even realise they are taking the test. Out of the thousands of religions out there if one isn't born into Islam how are they meant to even begin to realise that it's the correct one.

Final point in most tests people are certain that they are taking a test rather than placing blind faith in an imaginary God.

Seriously, just read the utter rubbish you are writing?

We can't grasp how God operates? Why don't you say the same for scientific explanations of the universe. They are actually a lot more well explained and graspable. Yet you and other religious people don't believe in them since they haven't explained everything.

What is there to comprehend?

God is man made, it's probably why we can't comprehend why he's such a hypocritical douche.
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Complete false equivalency. In most tests people would have practised before hand and also understood the marking system.

Another issue is most the people taking this test don't even realise they are taking the test. Out of the thousands of religions out there if one isn't born into Islam how are they meant to even begin to realise that it's the correct one.

Final point in most tests people are certain that they are taking a test rather than placing blind faith in an imaginary God.

Sigh. It's like you people are coming up with literally anything just for the sake of arguing. This is the 21st century. I don't think there's any person in this world who doesn't know or heard of Islam. Furthermore, before you attack me with another pointless question, those people who have never heard of Islam obviously are not going to be judged.

Also, you're associating tests with something literal like actual tests in schools and universities. Tests can be in the form of abstract things you know. I mean, haven't you watched movies where the hero at the end gets rewarded for something because he 'passed the test' even though he didn't even know he was being tested?

The entire concept of believing in a God is a test in itself, and whether you choose to believe it or not, that is the crux of the test itself: the belief. Believing in something you can't see or explain is the ultimate test. You just feel it. You feel that there is a greater force out there, and that force, for religious people, is God. Does that make sense?
Seriously, just read the utter rubbish you are writing?

We can't grasp how God operates? Why don't you say the same for scientific explanations of the universe. They are actually a lot more well explained and graspable. Yet you and other religious people don't believe in them since they haven't explained everything.

What is there to comprehend?

God is man made, it's probably why we can't comprehend why he's such a hypocritical douche.

If you can't hold a proper debate without lashing out with offensive insults, then I'm not going to sit here and waste my time. Good day. :smile:
Sigh. It's like you people are coming up with literally anything just for the sake of arguing. This is the 21st century. I don't think there's any person in this world who doesn't know or heard of Islam. Furthermore, before you attack me with another pointless question, those people who have never heard of Islam obviously are not going to be judged.

Also, you're associating tests with something literal like actual tests in schools and universities. Tests can be in the form of abstract things you know. I mean, haven't you watched movies where the hero at the end gets rewarded for something because he 'passed the test' even though he didn't even know he was being tested?

The entire concept of believing in a God is a test in itself, and whether you choose to believe it or not, that is the crux of the test itself: the belief. Believing in something you can't see or explain is the ultimate test. You just feel it. You feel that there is a greater force out there, and that force, for religious people, is God. Does that make sense?

How did I already know you were going to give this explanation?!

It's absolutely possible that in the 21st century people haven't been introduced to Islam, Just because you've heard somethings name doesn't mean you are informed and its also not possible to inform yourself of every religion with the finite time people have. Even so I'll play your game, lets go back to the 18th century where a large population of the world would have lived and died without ever hearing about Islam? What was the purpose of their lives? Allah created them as predestined pawns to live and die? I would advise you use a more critical approach to this issue as its not easily answered.

Movies are fictional and hence I don't see the need to associate them with what we are discussing.

Why is God testing us on this belief when he provides no concrete evidence of his existence. He seems to be punishing anyone who is taking a logical approach by refusing to believe in something they can't see.

In regards to feeling this force, I've never felt this force. I'm to assume that Allah has pre-determined me not to feel anything and hence has already determined I shall go to hell. It doesn't make sense to anyone who looks at this with a critcal and rational mind.

I was previously a Muslim, I followed a lot of the same things you do and believed them even though they made no sense however there comes a time when one needs to be critical of anything which we are told no to question.
If you can't hold a proper debate without lashing out with offensive insults, then I'm not going to sit here and waste my time. Good day. :smile:

Don't deflect from the fact you can't answer my questions.
How did I already know you were going to give this explanation?!

It's absolutely possible that in the 21st century people haven't been introduced to Islam, Just because you've heard somethings name doesn't mean you are informed and its also not possible to inform yourself of every religion with the finite time people have. Even so I'll play your game, lets go back to the 18th century where a large population of the world would have lived and died without ever hearing about Islam? What was the purpose of their lives? Allah created them as predestined pawns to live and die? I would advise you use a more critical approach to this issue as its not easily answered.

If you took the time to read what I've written, I wouldn't have to answer this silly question again. Those people are obviously excused.
If you took the time to read what I've written, I wouldn't have to answer this silly question again. Those people are obviously excused.

And if you didn't deliberately misdirect I wouldn't have to ask again.

Are those people simply pawns in the lives of Muslims? What purpose does a predestined excused life serve?
So why are they on Earth, if they're not being tested?

So that they can be a test for someone else.

And Allah knows best.
(edited 6 years ago)
And if you didn't deliberately misdirect I wouldn't have to ask again.

Are those people simply pawns in the lives of Muslims? What purpose does a predestined excused life serve?

I love how you think I'm able to answer all your questions. I'm not an expert in the field of religion or Islam. You'd be better off asking someone with better knowledge regarding this topic. Just because I'm Muslim doesn't mean I know everything about Islam. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending