Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE human coursework (Geograghy) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, im in the progress of doing a coursework of comparing two shops a supermarket and corner shop, what im doing is why people go to that shop and how many time they go etc, though im not too sure about how to present the survey to the people like what type of questions would be best!?
    Can anyone help me out here
    Thanks for your time

From John

ReputationRep:
    hasnt anyone here done a shopping coursework for geography if so please help me out here

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    I got 30/30 on my coursework but I didn't do a shopping one.
    The best thing you can do is to test your questionnaire by asking friends/family(imagine they are the public). Then keep tweaking your questions until they are comprehensible.
    I don't know what sort of questions you are supposed to do because each project is individual. What I did is, I drew a brainstorm and broke up everything I needed to know.
    The main aim is to answer your hypotheses, so you could base your questionnaire on that.

What exam board are you?

ReputationRep:
    Closed questions would be best. Etc tick box questions.
    You can do a few open questions, but try and keep it to the point.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, closed questions are better because then it is so much easier to do graphs ad compare results etc. U could also look at what each shop provides? So for example, more people wioll probably go to a supermarket cuz its cheaper, there are more varieties of a certain product and there are more products available as a predicition?

Mine was over a transect of a town so i'm not really sure what else to suggest.

ReputationRep:
    I see thanks guys! well what i want to do is make sure my hypothesis is right some people say it doenst matter if it contradicts it! but i find it more easy supporting the hypothesis!
    Well my questions are basically going to be about asking people why they go to that shop how many times a week and see the where they live also and how many times they go to the supermarket and why (they go for expensive stuff you wont find in corner shop)etc

Do you think thats ok?
    Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a complicated method, don't know how good you are at geography.
    you could do a postcode analysis (other methods for asking location are good as well) and you could use a large map draw a catchment area (divide it up inot segments) around the shops and see how many people are in each sector.

E.g. percentage of people 1 mile radius, 2 mile radius, 3 mile etc.

It depends on your hypothesis and sub hypotheses.

ReputationRep:
    I see like both shops in the map and then the 10 people i interview i put like a small dot in the map then theres some sort of correlation!?

From John

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure, you may have to ask your teacher as it will have to relate to geographical theory in class, e.g. settlements.
    Ask your teacher if you can before you complete the data collection stage.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i will!
    thanks

Does anyone here done the shop coursework for geography and can tell me what are the most effective type of questions!?

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    I did geography gcse last year. I didnt do that specific cw, but when doing questionaires like tht u shud have the quesitons set out so tht ppl have a choice of answers. i mean like dont have many questions tht they can choose an answer tht wasnt already a choice. *sigh* im not explaining myself very well!!!

If u set out the answers so they suit ur graphs, ur more likely to have precise, informative graphs. Could u try using a Spearman's Rank or anything?

do u c what i mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neohhh)
    I see like both shops in the map and then the 10 people i interview i put like a small dot in the map then theres some sort of correlation!?

From John
    I'd interview more than 10 myself, say you planned 10 but then did 20 to get a widerrange of results.

ReputationRep:
    Purple Dreamer i think i know what you mean ive done Spearmans rank before quite complex but im sure i can try it out!

Thanks for everyones help
    your welcome to give your opinion
    From John :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone else give me their opinion or advise by those that have done this kind of coursework!

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure what people to ask the questions to! the people that visit the corner shop and ask them how many times they go there if they live nearby etc.? Do i also need to go to the supermarket and ask them there?
    Please explain
    Thanks for your time
    From John :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Any Geographer care to help?

ReputationRep:
    Any Geographer care to help?
    Yes, you need to do at least 25 surveys at each place. What's your hypothesis? That the supermarket has a higher FI and sphere of influence than the corner shop? It might also be worth looking at a middle order shop too, to get some more data

ReputationRep:
    My Hypothesis would be that people that live in the area of the corner shop tend to fo there for convience goods but they go to the supermarket for comparison goods couple of times a month, is that ok?

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    My Hypothesis would be that people that live in the area of the corner shop tend to fo there for convience goods but they go to the supermarket for comparison goods couple of times a month, is that ok?

Thanks for your time
    From John
    Well there would be a more sophisticated way of doing it. It would be better to say, 'The larger the functional index of a shop, the larger its sphere of influence'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    functional index
    What's this? I'm not being coy, but I've never heard the term before in my life!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.