Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry Problem..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Everyone,
    I have a little problem... I wanted to study Pharmacy at Uni... however after getting my AS results, I found out that I got a C in Chemistry, and I need a B in it. The C I got wasnt very high to be honest, it was quite a low C.

I need an honest opinion when it comes to this... Im in a tough situation, because I have been told thats its best for me to either drop Chem or Psy (I got a C in both).... I obviously want to drop Psychology because I enjoy Chemistry so much and I want to study a type of chem at Uni (in an ideal world Pharmacy)...

However, what are my chances of actually being able to bring that low C up to a B via retakes of the exam? Even if I do get it up to a B, aparently A2 Chem is much harder... it is my dream to study a type of Chem degree at uni, and I am willing to work hard to get the B grade that I really want overall.

What are my chances people? Is it possible? Am I completely screwed? Or do I give up now?

Thanks.... and btw, please be honest...

ReputationRep:
    You could decline the grade in the subjects you want to re-take, then choose the units you want to re-take and then re-take those in your second year. These then get added to your total and give you an overall grade.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got your heart set on pharmacy then work your ass this year. The most important thing is to make sure your chemistry teacher predicts you a B.

Also apply to some of the pharmacy schools that generally make lower offers i.e. De Montford, Bradford, Liverpool JM. De Montford made me an offer last year of BCC not specifying which subject the B should be in.

Make sure your personal statement shows you much you want to do the course and if you get offered interviews make sure you impress them. Then if you do slip up on results day then there's still a good chance they'll take you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice....

So you think I should stick with Chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely if it's what interests you most

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Emmz....

Is it possible to increase my low C up to a B with retakes?

I know A2 chem is harder than AS, but I am willing to work this year...

ReputationRep:
    I think you should keep with chemistry. If pharmacy is what you would really enjoy and you like chemistry, at least you won't be stuck with subjects you hate.
    Retakes can boost your grades, although you have to revise for the other exams which may mean you have less time for them, but providing your willing to work really hard to boost your grade to a B you shouldn't have a problem

(Original post by theepw)
    Thanks Emmz....

Yes, it is possible, as long as you do revise for them

make sure you put in 110% on coursework and, if you can, spend a bit of extra time summarising your chem notes etc as you go alog... just stuff to make it all stick in your head more

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for that, its put my mind at rest...

I think Psychology is the best one to drop, because I need biology for Pharmacy, and in economics I got a B, so it would be stupid to drop that when I got a C in Psychology..

Even though I find psychology interesting, I dont think there is much you can actually do with a psychology degree. I think having an a-level in Chemistry opens up many more doors at Uni....

Anyone agree with that decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theepw)
    Thanks Emmz....

Anything is possible if you put the work in it'll also probably help you a lot with the final synoptic paper as everything will be fresh in your mind.

Just keep working at it and make sure your chem teacher predicts you at least a B in chem and you'll be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.