Report 1 year ago
What are you stuck with?
CluelessAcademic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

Thank you for your reply, (really thank you!)
firstly, I have an assignment on developmental psychology and having missed some lectures from being in hospital I am in a blind panic.
I have a 1000 word essay to write explaining how the nature nurture debate relates to child development and also to explain 3 psychological theories of the effect of early childhood experiences on later development eg, cognitive, psychodynamic and behavioural.

Secondly, a presentation: consider whether UK ethics would permit this research in 2017?

Any pointers would be VERY much appreciated.
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have access to slides or coursework that you missed?

The question for the essay is quite straightforward. Do you understand the premise of the nature/nurture debate? (ie: is behaviour inherited or learned?)
I'd start by outlining a basic definition of the debate and illustrate this via 3 different psychological theoretical approaches.

Your course will have run through the main ideas of cognitive/psychodynamic/social learning theory and/or behavioural psychology and illustrated these with a linked experiment.

Common experiments that your class will have covered will be that of Bandura and the 'Bobo Doll', Watson and Reyner's 'Little Albert' and probably studies of Feral Children. (Little Genie is a popular one to cover.)

Familiarise yourself with experiments like these and write abut the outcomes and findings.

For your presentation, your essay will set this up for you itself. It's impossible to view/read about these experiments without being drawn into a debate about their ethics. A lot or none of it would be allowed these days on account of children being unable to consent/trauma/health and safety etc.
CluelessAcademic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

Yes I understand the nature/nurture debate. Thank you for the advice. I have lots of notes, am just struggling to get my thoughts structured and into essay format.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
11.98%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.33%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.4%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (25)
13.02%
How can I be the best version of myself? (57)
29.69%

Watched Threads