Turn on thread page Beta

Small/old Universities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend the universities which are quite old (like with catherdrals everywhere!) and also relatively small capmus wise E.g Exeter, Durham. thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Essex is oldish (built in 1964) and it's in Britain's Oldest Town. It also has a small campus.

ReputationRep:
    York is quite small and very gothic, but the university is a 1960's eye sore. I also believe Royal Halloway is quite old but I may be wrong about that. As a general rule of thumb if its further north than Staffordshire then I won't know it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Essex is oldish (built in 1964) and it's in Britain's Oldest Town. It also has a small campus.
    And a very old castle

ReputationRep:
    I beg to differ - a university built in the 1960s is not even close to old.

Small, old (medieval old, that is) and with a cathedral, as well as excellent academics, all point to St Andrews.

Edit: typo

ReputationRep:
    Also Aberdeen.

ReputationRep:
    and lets not forget Reading dating back to about 1900, which is an average size campus and seems to have a good atmosphere!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester dates back to the 1860's with Owens College (the main university building now) and Salford dates back to 1896 (The Royal Technical College) however neither of them are exactly small or in small towns

ReputationRep:
    Bristol? The city has mucho mucho churches, and the Wills Memorial Building is gothic to extremes. Quite small - think it dates back to 1860s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opalfire)
    Can anyone recommend the universities which are quite old (like with catherdrals everywhere!) and also relatively small capmus wise E.g Exeter, Durham. thanks x
    Cambridge. I think (almost) 800 years is old enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Cambridge. I think (almost) 800 years is old enough.
    Hardly a small campus, though.

ReputationRep:
    An Oxbridge college.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, oxbridge aren't campus Unis - but an individual college might have the same ethos

ReputationRep:
    Essex is a town? :eek:

(Original post by sisyphus)
    Also Aberdeen.
    Yea it dates back to 1495.

(Original post by dazmanultra)
    Essex is a town? :eek:
    lol.. Colchester

ReputationRep:
    what about chester?

ReputationRep:
    Bangor or St. Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee is a small place, some parts of the uni are old, but ti's all being modernised (i loved the maths department cos it 'temporarily' moved into some houses in the late 50s and never moved out so it's like a rabbit warren with loads of floors and stairs everywhere with some really little rooms)

st andrews is an old university, but i found the town to be too small (there are no clubs and the shops are old fashioned and really rubbish, you'd have to go to dundee, edinburgh or glasgow to get any decent shopping)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    chester and worcester are small campus' and the towns are very old. chester has a wall around the city which dates back to roman times( i think! )
    the actual uni's arent that old tho.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.