Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if you're looking for a university that's really old, you won't find much more than Oxbridge - maybe Manchester and a handful of others. otherwise you'll have to look at those founded in the early 20th century - which isn't really that long ago.

being an Essex graduate (just about) - Colchester certainly is an old town. The university is excellent for most of the subjects it offers (and relatively intimate, ie. smallish), but it's not an old university as such.

Why exactly are you looking for an old university???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    if you're looking for a university that's really old, you won't find much more than Oxbridge - maybe Manchester and a handful of others. otherwise you'll have to look at those founded in the early 20th century - which isn't really that long ago.
    Alternatively you could maybe try and put a little more effort into it and youl be stunned to find 4 ancients in addition to Oxbridge -St.Andrews,Glasgow,Aberdeen and Edinburgh - as well as Strathclyde which dates from the 18th century before you have to start looking at the newer ones which were formed in England during the 19th century such as Durham, UCL, Kings etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the input guys! I prefer the older universities purely based on the architecture of the buildings, some of the new designs on unis can be quite ugly. Would you say exeter or warwick are small/oldish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Cambridge. I think (almost) 800 years is old enough.
    yh it is. the colleges are beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I'm not basing where i go purely on the architecture! If the course is right then the 2nd most important thing to me is how comfy i am in the learning atmosphere and part of the architecture plays a part in that, this also includes living accomodations and shops ect

(Original post by sassychick)
    chester and worcester are small campus' and the towns are very old. chester has a wall around the city which dates back to roman times( i think! )
    the actual uni's arent that old tho.
    chester is a lovely old looking town...i love it!! the university itself isnt old at all, but the city is very old looking especially in the city center (inside the walls)

canturbury reminded me a lot of chester when i visited but that too has a campus with rather ugly looking modern builidings (however it has nice trees if you want trees)

ReputationRep:
    How come you don't happen to mention Bath?

The university architecture doesn't seem great i admit but the size of the campus and the phonomenon of having 6000 students puts it amongst the top three in small/old university thread,i believe.

The city itself is still Roman.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.