Interested in studying in the USA? Watch

Cat_ion
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, i'm currently a year 12 student taking my A Levels (Maths, Physics, Chem, EPQ (AS)) in the UK. I've been researching into universities in the UK, however I feel that I prefer the setup and opportunities at various universities in the USA.

My main problem is the cost of university - i'm going to have to take out a loan wherever I go. I've heard that american universities are incredibly expensive, so i'm not sure in terms of cost whether it would just be simpler to go for a UK university.

Any advice on american universities/ USA vs UK universities would be a great help!
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have family in the USA and TBH my sis is thinking of sending her kid to uni over here (UK) because of the cost. As a UK student, it will be tricky to find a degree that's as cost effective as going to uni here.

In terms of CS, apart from the normal names (MIT, Stanford, top half of the Ivy League) many UK universities have just as good or a better rep for CS than US unis. For example, UCL and Edinburgh both score better on most international tables for CS when compared to Uni of Pennsylvania (an Ivy league school).

If you want experience of living in the USA, my advice is to look at UK unis that offer an industrial placement year in the US. Some universities have links to US companies, so you could possibly do a placement year in the USA. Even if they don't have links, lots of US tech firms have open call outs for professional interns.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.12%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.93%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.01%

Watched Threads