Why are there still so many teacher training vacancies on UCAS? Watch

Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm just browsing vacancies in London as I'll be applying in October 2017, and pretty much every school/uni still has vacancies (all posted in October 2016).

Do they just forget to take down their ads or is it common to still have vacancies this late in the year?

Note: I'm looking at Chemistry and Biology Secondary programmes. I did take a look at English (which I expected to be really saturated) and there's still a lot of vacancies.

I thought teaching was getting saturated with English and humanities grads, but if each school takes on 1 or 2 trainees a year for each subject, how come there's still so many places available this late in the year? Are other routes like Teach First and Premier Pathways just becoming more popular? Is there much competition for PGCE/SCITT programmes or are schools getting more picky about who they choose?

Just looking for some insight. Thanks in advance!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In January, applications were a third down on 2016 intake at the same time that year. If you have been keeping an eye on teaching you will note there is a bit of a teaching crisis going on. The perceived and reality of a hard job with a huge workload for not much pay puts people off. We are also in a buoyant job market with more jobs than applicants so if the choice is between teacher (£22k) or general bum (£25 - £100k) it is a no brainer.
Petulia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
In January, applications were a third down on 2016 intake at the same time that year. If you have been keeping an eye on teaching you will note there is a bit of a teaching crisis going on. The perceived and reality of a hard job with a huge workload for not much pay puts people off. We are also in a buoyant job market with more jobs than applicants so if the choice is between teacher (£22k) or general bum (£25 - £100k) it is a no brainer.
Thanks for the reply.
I see a lot of threads about PGCE rejections on TSR, so that's where most of my info is coming from. I'm wondering now why so many people on here still get rejected from teacher training programmes and have to reapply the next year, if the demand for teachers is so high. Is the quality of applicants that low?

I have been keeping an eye on it since October, and it seems like people are only applying for the top providers i.e Cambridge, Warwick, but even Russell Groups like UCL and their partner schools still have vacancies.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Petulia)
Thanks for the reply.
I see a lot of threads about PGCE rejections on TSR, so that's where most of my info is coming from. I'm wondering now why so many people on here still get rejected from teacher training programmes and have to reapply the next year, if the demand for teachers is so high. Is the quality of applicants that low?

I have been keeping an eye on it since October, and it seems like people are only applying for the top providers i.e Cambridge, Warwick, but even Russell Groups like UCL and their partner schools still have vacancies.
Could be. ITT is massively intense. You are basically trading on the job, doing a job that is unfamiliar and studying for a third of a masters, all within 10 months. Grads who have just completed an English degree with 3 hours of lectures a week will find it a massive shock to the system. It is also now really rigorous. It'll do will no longer do in teaching.

As for providers. Seriously consider school direct or SCHITT. You will be mart of a small cohort and your support will be much greater.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (115)
24.78%
Pop (108)
23.28%
Jazz (20)
4.31%
Classical (23)
4.96%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.75%