Edexcel 2017 B1 exam Watch

AARYAN KOTECHA
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, I just sat the gcse B1 exam. what did you think of the last 6 mark question
bo.beynon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AARYAN KOTECHA)
Hey guys, I just sat the gcse B1 exam. what did you think of the last 6 mark question
It was alright, just quote data, calculated gradients, describe correlations, and then state the role of the myelin sheath and how this impacted on the conduction speed.
astralnerd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally think I did quite well on the last 6 marker but it was hard, I've never seen anything like it before! I spoke about the role of the myelin sheath, what the graphs show, what this shows about the myelin sheath
coldwarm34
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bo.beynon)
It was alright, just quote data, calculated gradients, describe correlations, and then state the role of the myelin sheath and how this impacted on the conduction speed.
yeah also the diameter for the first graph was 1,2,3,4 but second one was 100, 200,300,400 if you guys realised that
Katrinejendr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn't really have a lot to say it was unexpected but not the worst...what did u say?
Callum Moreton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I predicted that drugs would be a big thing and next thing you know it was a six marker!!! All of our teachers got the predictions wrong! Overall it was a pretty good paper. The last 6 marker made me look twice though. Bring on B2 and B3 - oh and the rest of the sciences!
brianna123x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought it was an awful paper, i don't know if i'm over thinking but because i go to a grammar school everyone seems to think its a great idea to shout out random stuff just before the exam. I can't seem to think what i got wrong it's just i wasn't very comfortable with the questions..
JoeMcCloskey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by brachial13)
for the first question, how does cystic fibrosis lead to an increased risk of lung disease
It makes the body produce excess mucus which blocks up air passages in the body (e.g the lungs), guts and pancreas

(That's what I put at least)
JoeMcCloskey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that the paper was overall pretty easy if I'm honest, does anyone else think there was a lot less content than what you revised for? There were just loads of difference calculations and a couple percentage ones...?
EDEXCEL B1, 2017
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its the mucus, it sticks to the lungs and makes it difficult to breath, so the bodies mechanism cant prevent bacteria from going into the lungs and the bacteria/pathogens create an infection, For the healthy male, he can prevent bacteria/pathogens from creating infection in the lungs.GUYS TRUST ME, THIS WAS A HARD PAPER AND I WOULD EXPECT THE GRADE BOUNDARIES FOR AN A* TO AT LEAST BE 45. NO ACCURATE ESTIMATION BUT ACCORDING TO THE LAST QUESTION AND THE ONE ABOUT MRSA, THE WORDING WAS QUITE DIFFICULT, SO I WOULD REVISE MORE FOR B2 AS WELL IF I WERE YOU!
brianna123x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JoeMcCloskey)
I think that the paper was overall pretty easy if I'm honest, does anyone else think there was a lot less content than what you revised for? There were just loads of difference calculations and a couple percentage ones...?
wouldn't say there were loads of calculations just two or maybe three
brianna123x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did everyone put for the MRSA one
brianna123x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
and the one about animal characteristics and the synapse one??
Callum Moreton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by brianna123x)
and the one about animal characteristics and the synapse one??
The synapse is the gap between 2 neurons. You've got the pre synaptic knob and the post synaptic knob.The neurotransmitter diffuses across the synapse into the receivers and the electrical impulse continues
coldwarm34
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JoeMcCloskey)
It makes the body produce excess mucus which blocks up air passages in the body (e.g the lungs), guts and pancreas

(That's what I put at least)
I put that but also put the mucus stays in the lung airways/lungs so the bacteria replicate and produce toxins
coldwarm34
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The question about why is a hybrid hard to classify I put , because they produce infertile offspring, but it should've put fertile offspring 😩. Also the 6 marker on the 4 drugs I stated what they did but also how they carried out the function, e.g increase neurotransmission for stimulants but the question said name 4 different types and the effects on human body so did you to just say stimulant , decreases reaction time , e.g caffeine
Callum Moreton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by coldwarm34)
The question about why is a hybrid hard to classify I put , because they produce infertile offspring, but it should've put fertile offspring 😩. Also the 6 marker on the 4 drugs I stated what they did but also how they carried out the function, e.g increase neurotransmission for stimulants but the question said name 4 different types and the effects on human body so did you to just say stimulant , decreases reaction time , e.g caffeine
That's what I put
coldwarm34
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Callum Moreton)
That's what I put
Put what ? Like stuff about neurotransmission aswell ?
Callum Moreton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Put what ? Like stuff about neurotransmission aswell ?
For the drugs one. I followed the same structure as you. eg Depressants, EG Alcohol, then it increases reaction time because it takes longer for the neurotransmitter to get to the receiver in the synapse
hcaushi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I put that but also put the mucus stays in the lung airways/lungs so the bacteria replicate and produce toxins
Damn it, I mentioned ciliated cells! Guess that's -2 for me, then. (Although to be fair, I also mentioned that bacteria cannot be trapped from the air, so they can enter the lungs. I think that might be one mark.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads