The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry C1 Unofficial Markscheme 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaminahsaleem
For the 6 marker on limestone this is what I mentioned:

Quarrying = scars landscape, destroys habitat so less biodiversity. Also, uses a lot of equipment which requires energy which comes from non-renewable resources so pollution etc. I grouped drilling and quarrying.

I talked about thermal decomposition- mentioned the high temperatures and linked it to energy and etc

Waste products:

Carbon dioxide = greenhouse effect = global warming = ice-caps melting and increase in the world's temperature

Sulfur dioxide = acid rain = pollutes rivers/lakes/sea/oceans which destroys marine habitats and lowers water quality

Particulates = global dimming

yah that's what I wrote :smile:
Original post by JackMoseley
How did everyone find it? Any answers you remember post them here 😊

Well done everyone 👌

inshallah my muslim brother i did well.

Nah but the plastic bag question put me off a bit.
What questions did u find most difficult?
Well I came out of the exam hall feeling relatively happy and good. But after reading some of these comments it looks like I ****ed up that paper hard. If you need me I'll be revising C2 and C3.
Original post by BobBobson
the mass was constantly decreasing though?

Oh my god, I read the question wrong. I checked my answers a lot- I just glanced at the table so I think I might have just convinced myself it was increasing !
Original post by ravenclaw123
yah that's what I wrote :smile:

I was really happy because I do geography and both subjects have so much overlap! :smile:
Original post by Harris322
Well I came out of the exam hall feeling relatively happy and good. But after reading some of these comments it looks like I ****ed up that paper hard. If you need me I'll be revising C2 and C3.

It's fine - I am sure you did well: I feel that reading comments on Student Room always make you doubt yourself even though you did well!
and remember there's still C2 and C3 :smile:
Reply 86
this paper was ugly
i messed up i am going to fail i hate life why me ????????? :h:
Original post by ravenclaw123
For the hydrocarbon question ' I wrote hydrogen and carbon only'
will i not get the mark for not saying ' a compound'

it said compound in the question so don't think it matters
Original post by ZOHAIB2016
it said compound in the question so don't think it matters

Ahhh okay - thank you!
Original post by aaminahsaleem
In my opinion, there isn't any positive effect- only economic and social advantages. The question was along the lines of explain the negative environmental impacts of drilling, quarrying and thermal decomposition.

Yes the question asked to write the potential environmental effects, there is no positive impact of either of those things on the environment
For the 6 marker I said Quarries take up lots of land which could have removed lots of habitats and destroyed lots of trees and woodland. I also said quarries produce lots of pollution. Noise pollution from explosions and vehicles. Dust pollution which could harm local people with asthama (although this isn't environmental!) and lots of vehicles mean cars run on petrol which produce carbon dioxide. I said thermal decomposition produces carbon dioxide which affects global warming. I said Drilling causes Noise pollution and takes up land. I didn't know what to say for drilling so I made it up.
I legit enjoyed doing the paper!!!
You probably will still get the mark, it said it was a compound in the question anyway, it was only 1mark :smile:
Original post by Karan_dulay
For the 6 marker I said Quarries take up lots of land which could have removed lots of habitats and destroyed lots of trees and woodland. I also said quarries produce lots of pollution. Noise pollution from explosions and vehicles. Dust pollution which could harm local people with asthama (although this isn't environmental!) and lots of vehicles mean cars run on petrol which produce carbon dioxide. I said thermal decomposition produces carbon dioxide which affects global warming. I said Drilling causes Noise pollution and takes up land. I didn't know what to say for drilling so I made it up.

Did you talk about the effects of sulfur dioxide, particulates and carbon dioxide as well?????
Original post by katiebourdillon
You probably will still get the mark, it said it was a compound in the question anyway, it was only 1mark :smile:

ahhh thank you :smile: was getting worried as it a silly mark to lose 😩
Original post by Samanthaplague
Did you talk about the effects of sulfur dioxide, particulates and carbon dioxide as well?????

I was so annoyed that I forgot to right about sulfur dioxide and acid rain and I said carbon dioxide affects global warming.
question 3:

destroys habitats / visual pollution / CO2 released which contributes to global warming / sulphur dioxide releases which contributes to acid rain / particulates released which contributes to global dimming / dust produced from quarrying
1 mark for SPaG
anything else which is valid will get a mark depending on the examiner
Original post by BobBobson
the mass was constantly decreasing though?

Yes they were, I put that people were reusing the bags and also the polymers were manufactured lighter
Original post by Samanthaplague

yep I did - cos it was part of the waste products on the diagram
Original post by Karan_dulay
I was so annoyed that I forgot to right about sulfur dioxide and acid rain and I said carbon dioxide affects global warming.

Then you should get all the marks becasue you have talked about all three!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending