School_ftw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Many people are debating/making claims about why the stupid question that was in AQA's 2017 B1 paper today. Although it was only 1 mark, I would like to say my opinion about the answer that I think to be correct.

My answer was that his theory went against the idea that all animals were created by God - so this made him look ridiculous, and mocked him.

Many people are saying that it was because we humans evolved from monkeys/apes, and this may well be correct - but I think this one is more likely. There is the explicit point "Darwin's theory went against the idea that god created all animals" in the syllabus, in B1.8 (I think). Look at the following links, it says in both that Darwin was drawn as an ape/monkey, to expose him to ridicule:

http://www.creatingmycambridge.com/h...harles-darwin/
https://therealweeklyshow.wordpress....win-as-an-ape/

"This led to a number of newspapers creating satirical cartoons of Darwin drawn with a monkey’s head, mocking his claims." (first link)

I'm not saying that I am right, I am simply providing an alternative answer that has some evidence for it. The idea that all humans evolved from monkeys could be correct, I'm not denying that. But I think that this answer is a likely correct one, due to the fact that it is an explicit point in the syllabus - and the picture was originally made to make Darwin look ridiculous.
dreamerkitten
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wrote that he was drawn like that in a mocking way, so similar to what you said.
I think the mark scheme will probably include both the idea that humans evolved from monkeys/apes, and also that the cartoons were mocking or ridiculing his ideas.
I hope so at least !
perfectlywrecked
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ahh! I knew I was missing something. I wrote that it was because he believed humans evolved from apes. I've always hated biology
I wasn't able to fully answer the last couple of questions about the plant shoots so I wrote random stuff. Also, the question as to whether moisture or gravity was more important really messed me up (I guessed moisture with a random explanation)
Our year is having a really big debate as to whether a plant produces starch or glucose (although our teacher said starch later on when we asked) Hoping for a C at least
School_ftw
Rep:
?
(Original post by perfectlywrecked)
Ahh! I knew I was missing something. I wrote that it was because he believed humans evolved from apes. I've always hated biology
I wasn't able to fully answer the last couple of questions about the plant shoots so I wrote random stuff. Also, the question as to whether moisture or gravity was more important really messed me up (I guessed moisture with a random explanation)
Our year is having a really big debate as to whether a plant produces starch or glucose (although our teacher said starch later on when we asked) Hoping for a C at least
Yeah I messed up on that plant stimulus one as well. And I put glucose, as that's certainly a carbohydrate, but who knows - either may get the mark.
ankitalert
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
HAHAHAHHA I knew I wasn't right when I said it I said people thought he was mad so they made fun of him.
School_ftw
Rep:
?
Who knows though, it could for some reason be the other answer (darwin said we evolved from apes), or maybe it will be both (or neither).

(Original post by ankitalert)
HAHAHAHHA I knew I wasn't right when I said it I said people thought he was mad so they made fun of him.
perfectlywrecked
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by School_ftw)
Yeah I messed up on that plant stimulus one as well. And I put glucose, as that's certainly a carbohydrate, but who knows - either may get the mark.
My mind went blank, I had to read the word "carbohydrate" several times in order to understand what it was asking.
Am I the only one who hated the 6 marker? There was nothing on the menstrual cycle or diet! The two things I revised and understood the most
Eth39
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That is actually right so you got a mark
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by perfectlywrecked)
it was moisture. You were right. This was because in figure 7, the water was at the bottom so the roots we growing towards that. This wasn't to determine whether the important one is gravity or moisture. This is because the root was reacting to both geotrophism and hydrotrophism. But then in figure 8, the water was at the top. The roots BENDED upwards for this. This showed that it went against geotrophism, but towards hydrophisms. Therefore the important stimuli was moisture

also it is not starch. The question asked for the process and WHAT THAT PROCESS made. Photosynthesis does not make starch, it makes glucose. Water + Carbon dioxide --> Glucose + Oxygen. if it asked what was the reason for the biomass of the plant, starch was acceptable too. But it said what the process made.
Magical lolly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I said because he went to a monkey tea party, and he believe the monkey's started evolution
Magical lolly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I said because he went to a monkey tea party, and he believed the monkeys started the theory of evolution
saffarinda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The magazine that created it was called a "satirical magazine" so I believe it was purely for the intention of mocking him.
wanderingpanda
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by School_ftw)
Many people are debating/making claims about why the stupid question that was in AQA's 2017 B1 paper today. Although it was only 1 mark, I would like to say my opinion about the answer that I think to be correct.

My answer, was because his theory went against the idea, that all animals were created by God - so this depicted him as crazy and ridiculous.

Many people are saying that it was because we humans evolved from monkeys/apes, and this may well be correct - but I used a different answer. There is the explicit point "Darwin's theory went against the idea that god created all animals" is in the syllabus, in B1.4 (I think). Look at the following links, it says in both that Darwin was drawn as an ape/monkey, to expose him to ridicule:

http://www.creatingmycambridge.com/h...harles-darwin/
https://therealweeklyshow.wordpress....win-as-an-ape/

I'm not saying that I am right, I am simply providing an alternative answer that has some evidence for it. The idea that all humans evolved from monkeys could be correct, I'm not denying that. But I think that this answer is a likely correct one, due to the fact that it is an explicit point in the syllabus - and the picture was originally made to make Darwin look ridiculous.
I didn't do this exam BUT I think most of the answers here are correct. By Darwin stating the theory of evolution and that apes are the evolutionary ancestor of humans, it contradicted the widely supported view that God created us and that we are all the decentents of Adam. The Victorians, who were highly religious, took great offense to his theory and depicted him as an ape in a popular newspaper in an attempt to humiliate and ridicule him. Interesting 1 mark question though :/
niichola.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cant we say that everyone was religious and they thought he was crazy when he brought up the argument of evolution.
TommyJP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I put starch.
Magical lolly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TommyJP)
I put starch.
I did too
StudyJosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
that doesn't answer the question why he drawn as a monkey but it answers the next question about why people didn't accept his theory...

I put it was because 'Darwin suggested monkeys and humans shared a common ancestor'.
TommyJP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I found the wording of the hawk(multiple choice) question quite tricky, idk if it was bc of being in an exam and i was just nervous, i still ticked faeces, i assume thats correct
Some boy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It was obvious that it was because he had a theory that humans evolved from apes.
School_ftw
Rep:
?
(Original post by StudyJosh)
that doesn't answer the question why he drawn as a monkey but it answers the next question about why people didn't accept his theory...

I put it was because 'Darwin suggested monkeys and humans shared a common ancestor'.
The answer "It made Darwin appear ridiculous and crazy, as he was so due to him going against the idea that god made all animals" answers why he was drawn as a monkey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads