The Student Room Group

Temp or volunteer - which is best in long run?

I'm applying for graduate jobs soon - is it worth volunteering this summer instead of getting a temp job? The charity will be a major UK one and the agency be a local one. The role be similar - accounts assistant and payroll type deal.
If the volunteering will be beneficial to your future career plans, and you can afford to financially, then doing the volunteer placement is a great idea! The fact that it is for a big company will look good to future employers and show that you managed to land such a competitive placement.
If it's the same role in each I'd take the temp job and make some £££. There is nothing wrong with realising the value of your skills. Because you are not working for free it tends to be a more pressurised environment as well.

That said if it's a charity you really support go and work for them and forgo the ££.
Original post by Dominoes
I'm applying for graduate jobs soon - is it worth volunteering this summer instead of getting a temp job? The charity will be a major UK one and the agency be a local one. The role be similar - accounts assistant and payroll type deal.

Just compare what extra you will get from the volunteer work v having the money.

Are you intending to go i to charity work or accounts?
I would go for the temp job simply because I'd be earning money.
Original post by Dominoes

If the volunteering position is the career path you want to go down to then I'd say go for it! :smile:
Saying from *ahem* experience though, the only obvious upside is that you can earn money whilst being a temporary worker on a weekly basis...but one of the downsides is the length - such contracts can last up to 3-4 weeks.

To be honest it is all down to preference, in particular how it will benefit your career overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending