Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Free £3 to spend on your revision break

ReputationRep:
    I feel like we’ve all got to the point where the end of exams feels like a lifetime away. Wake up, revise, sleep, wake up, revise, sleep... When is it going to end!!!!!!

To introduce everyone to our nifty new app Circle is offering a small stress buster by giving away free money. As part of our Circle My Day campaign we’re encouraging you guys to take a break from revision and treat yourself to a free coffee or whatever you fancy! To redeem your revision pick me up download Circle. Once you've got it, tap in the promo code STRESS-FREE and you will get £3 in your account.

Post here what you’ve been spending your Circle credit on (or send us a pic!) What have you found the best exam stress buster to be?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circle Pay)
    I feel like we’ve all got to the point where the end of exams feels like a lifetime away. Wake up, revise, sleep, wake up, revise, sleep... When is it going to end!!!!!!

To introduce everyone to our nifty new app Circle is offering a small stress buster by giving away free money. As part of our Circle My Day campaign we’re encouraging you guys to take a break from revision and treat yourself to a free coffee or whatever you fancy! To redeem your revision pick me up download Circle. Once you've got it, tap in the promo code STRESS-FREE and you will get £3 in your account.

Post here what you’ve been spending your Circle credit on (or send us a pic!) What have you found the best exam stress buster to be?!
    I've just downloaded it. Thank you.

But how on Earth do you make any money out of this, given that you offer the service for free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryleavey)

But how on Earth do you make any money out of this, given that you offer the service for free?
    Adverts, I assume

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galingo)
    Adverts, I assume
    I can't see any. Not sure adverts provide the funds to give out free money which you can directly transfer to your bank. Especially for a company with (what seems like) a small user base.

ReputationRep:

https://blog.circle.com/2014/05/21/c...but-questions/

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any. Not sure adverts provide the funds to give out free money which you can directly transfer to your bank. Especially for a company with (what seems like) a small user base.
    Well the app has 500,000 downloads so I dont think its a small user base. Maybe the free part of the app is an initial cost but in the long term they can gain more revenue overall by attracting a lot of consumers now (us)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galingo)
    Well the app has 500,000 downloads so I dont think its a small user base. Maybe the free part of the app is an initial cost but in the long term they can gain more revenue overall by attracting a lot of consumers now (us)
    Yes, that sounds like the strategy. Not adverts as you initially said though. 500,000 app downloads is nothing. Especially in terms of ad revenue. (not that this business uses adverts anyway)

“Where’s the hidden fee, what’s the catch, how do you make money?”
    We’re interested in the long-term value of digital money, not optimizing for minor short-term profit. We will have future, higher-level products that we fully intend to be revenue-generating, but this first basic product needs to be free. That’s the cost of mainstream consumer adoption.
    The Circle conversion rate may fluctuate higher or lower than that of various services and exchanges at different points in time, and some may view that as margin, but it’s simply never a revenue generator if we’re using it only as a means to mainstream currency conversion (which we are). We are not a trading platform.
    Note, though, that “free” does not mean we pay credit card interchange fees for everyone (we pass that fee on, if you choose to use a credit card).
    On the whole, “free” is part of giving people more control over their own money. If you send an email to me, SMTP doesn’t chop off a few words as a tax or toll, and my IMAP server doesn’t delete a few more words as yet another toll — but that is essentially what card networks do to money. Like email and other Internet standards: so it should go for the Internet of money. The Internet wants movement of information on its rails to be free, or very close to free, and revenue-generating value to be built on top of those basic democratized rails.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.