The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Best degree leading to Astrophysics Masters

I'm hoping to study Astrophysics at a masters level once completing my undergraduate degree. I'd love to study it now as a first degree, but i don't think they offer it distance learning. I know the masters won't be distance however i'd be more able at that stage to look at a brick university (in a few years, for a second degree/masters/ect.) than I am now due to personal circumstance.

I'm still in the process of choosing/researching which undergraduate degree to take on the OU. I want to make sure I choose the right degree now, so as to lead to having the right entry requirements later. I'm a bit lost as to where to start. I'd be classified as a mature student which is also partially why i'm studying OU (at the age of 24.) I'm completely starting fresh essentially. I've been studying maths A level textbooks to make sure my maths is up to scratch as well. Willing to do any and all extra work I can do to get me into the right courses later.

I've been looking at:
BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Physics)
or
BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Astronomy and Planetary Science)
Original post by astroaccount22
I'm hoping to study Astrophysics at a masters level once completing my undergraduate degree. I'd love to study it now as a first degree, but i don't think they offer it distance learning. I know the masters won't be distance however i'd be more able at that stage to look at a brick university (in a few years, for a second degree/masters/ect.) than I am now due to personal circumstance.

I'm still in the process of choosing/researching which undergraduate degree to take on the OU. I want to make sure I choose the right degree now, so as to lead to having the right entry requirements later. I'm a bit lost as to where to start. I'd be classified as a mature student which is also partially why i'm studying OU (at the age of 24.) I'm completely starting fresh essentially. I've been studying maths A level textbooks to make sure my maths is up to scratch as well. Willing to do any and all extra work I can do to get me into the right courses later.

I've been looking at:
BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Physics)
or
BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Astronomy and Planetary Science)

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You could do a master's degree with either of those degrees, although I think the latter would be best if you're interested in pursuing astrophysics. I believe the University of Central Lancashire does a distance learning Astronomy degree, if that's of any interest: https://www.studyastronomy.com/courses.php?id=1
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
I'm not really sure what you're asking. You could do a master's degree with either of those degrees, although I think the latter would be best if you're interested in pursuing astrophysics. I believe the University of Central Lancashire does a distance learning Astronomy degree, if that's of any interest: https://www.studyastronomy.com/courses.php?id=1

Thanks for your help :smile: sorry for not being clearer. I'm basically trying to choose which of the two OU courses to choose now to later pursue studying astrophysics with afterwards.
Reply 3
As much as the planetary science would make sense, you would miss a very valuable module which is S217. I would go down the physics pathway. You will still be studying astrophysics content at level 3, and it's also accredited by IoP which is pretty cool so you know your physics will be up to scratch. You can build on a lot of a astrophysics in year 4. But a thorough understanding of physics would be highly advantageous :smile: I'm doing the open plus for 2 years: studying MST124/125 and heading Sheffield for the joint physics and astrophysics degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest